Mitch
16 more years
+877|6536|South Florida
Some weird stuff here guys.

Im pretty good with computers but this is beyond me.

My dad went to use his computer, this is a home built PC, Windows 7, AMD proc, Asus mobo, about 4 years old. He pressed the power button and appearently it turned it off, (he thinks it was already on standby and when he hit the button it turned it off) <- this part doesnt really make sense.

Here's whats happening.

When you turn the master switch on the back of the power supply to on, the fans inside start spinning. This is processor, chipset, and video card. The computer does this without pressing the power button!

However, the computer is not fully on. No accessories work. The CD drive and keyboard are not on for example. (This mode of 'on' reminds me of some form of standby. No display or accessories.)

I then press the power button and the fans will start spinning a little faster, accessories will come on, keyboard and mouse become active, CD drive has life. But no display. The monitor stays on standby.

I do not hear any beeps. I do not get any display whatsoever.

-I tried a different video card that i know is working, didnt help.
-I plugged the harddrive into another computer and booted from it - everything worked great.
-I let it sit unplugged for a full night
-I played with all combinations of the power button. Holding it down, pressing it, reset button, ect. I cant seem to find a way to make it go totally off without turning off the power supply.
-I tried pulling the cmos battery and i tried the jumper to reset the bios. (this was the first time i have ever done these two but i think i did it right.)

I have a feeling the fact that it will not turn fully off when using the power button has to do with this whole thing.

Thanks for any ideas,

Mitch
15 more years! 15 more years!
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5799|Catherine Black

Mitch wrote:

-I plugged the harddrive into another computer and booted from it - everything worked great.
Sounds like you maybe corrupted some part of the OS. Try his hard-drive in another computer.

E: I read that wrong

Last edited by Finray (2010-09-26 07:07:52)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6536|South Florida

Finray wrote:

Mitch wrote:

Sounds like you maybe corrupted some part of the OS. Try his hard-drive in another computer.

E: I read that wrong
Ha yes, currently i have no harddrive in the rig. Im not concerned with that, because i have no display whatsoever. No post screens, nothing is displayed.
15 more years! 15 more years!
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5972|Places 'n such
Obvious one, have you checked everythings properly plugged in inside?
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6185|Sydney | ♥

shit's fucked yo XD

.. srsly tho, that's really strange, and i doubt any solutions will arrise here for your .. very perculiar // senario
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|6010|The Mitten
check the power supply.
disconnect the power switch on the mobo, try everything again.
(you might have to look into starting the computer with a screwdriver, someone else here might be able to help, I've never done it before.
EE (hats
my computer was acting that way when i didnt have the memory in all the way..   or the lil power switch line was unplugged,  not sure
eleven bravo
+1,399|5270|foggy bottom
what is it with everyones computers crapping out on them
Tu Stultus Es
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6508

i'm good, thanks.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5916|CA
Make sure everything is seated properly and the connectors from the case are properly plugged into the motherboard.

Have you tried a different monitor with this system?
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6695|West Yorkshire, U.K
Try a different power supply if you have one.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard