Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

How do you think the world would be different if humans suddenly evolved and achieved biological immortality? We could still die of gunshots, explosions etc. but around the age of thirty we just stop aging.

Do you think countries would be less hostile to each other? Do you think Christianity, Islam, and Buddhism would eventually go away? Do you think people would be more caring for each other or become less materialist?

So tell me what you really think would happen.

I would like to think people would start to care about each other more since our lifespans would be infinite and there was less of a reason to a selfish person since the 'you only live once fuckem' idea no longer had any weight. But I could still see stupid people being stupid so IDK.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
You should have Stephenie Meyer write a series of books about it.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX
Only the super-intelligent would be permitted to reproduce.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6651|BC, Canada
alot of old folks homes and wheelchair manufacturers would go out of business.
KEN-JENNINGS
I am all that is MOD!
+2,973|6624|949

more people would be killed.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

Dilbert_X wrote:

bad news, Dilbert . . .
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

OP forgot one important detail:

The implications of reproduction. Overpopulation pretty damn quick.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

and space exploration would get a big shot in the arm.

personally, the idea of immortality doesn't appeal to me. that may be a function of age though . . .
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5578

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Forgot that. Damn. That would suck.

http://www.greatfallstribune.com/articl … 01/9190301
The world's oldest man is almost 114. Our country is less than 300 years old. Human history stretches back 10,000 years. Our lives are so short and irrelevant.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6651|BC, Canada
People who reach the age of 60 are forced to battle to the death to prevent over population, gladiators become the new sports heros, and a whole new generation of sports trading cards is created.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6098|eXtreme to the maX

burnzz wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

bad news, Dilbert . . .
And the super-attractive
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina
Being immortal in terms of age still doesn't mean you can't die.

Granted, if humans under their current habits never died from old age...  the world would get crowded very quickly.

A more likely scenario is that a technology would allow us to slow age dramatically, but it would only be affordable to the rich.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

/revolution

I seriously hope we can find a way to increase food supply and expand into space before this happens.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6685
Imagine a Children of Men scenario except with immortality. Whoever is living would be the only people to ever live again; for as long as they could withstand accidents and murder.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Clones. Like that one Star Trek TOS episode, except with more people.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708
most people will kys. fuck living forever.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
jord
+2,382|6670|The North, beyond the wall.
Yup. Humans have been around for a fraction of our planets existance. For an even smaller amount of time we've had the ability to wipe ourselves out. Its a mathmatical certainly the human race will become extinct. Personally I think well do it ourselves in the next 300 years.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6764|PNW

Humanity's history is older than our species, if you're into evolution.
jord

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'm very much into evolution. Humans in their current form are considered to be 35k years old, compared to earths 4.5 billion years we're a mere spec in time. A spec within our spec would be the time we've had nuclear weapons.
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

jord wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I'm very much into evolution. Humans in their current form are considered to be 35k years old, compared to earths 4.5 billion years we're a mere spec in time. A spec within our spec would be the time we've had nuclear weapons.
I thought Homo Sapiens had been around for 350K years?
jord

Turquoise wrote:

jord wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I thought Homo Sapiens had been around for 350K years?
Well my sources and reading materials are pretty old so you could be right. A slighly larger spec of time if so.
mr.hrundi
Wurstwassereis
+68|6429|Germany
with the current ability of humans to kill other humans we'd be even faster in wiping ourselves out of existence. Overpopulation is already a problem, conflicts would arise over habitable land. these will be fought with more and more brutality, until one decides to launch a nuke. Then it's over, but it would probably be the best for the whole universe in terms of evolution....
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State

mr.hrundi wrote:

with the current ability of humans to kill other humans we'd be even faster in wiping ourselves out of existence. Overpopulation is already a problem, conflicts would arise over habitable land. these will be fought with more and more brutality, until one decides to launch a nuke. Then it's over, but it would probably be the best for the whole universe in terms of evolution....
well theoretically we would've wiped each other out BEFORE we gained nuke capabilities...
Shocking
sorry you feel that way
+333|5991|...
biological immortality would be pointless if people past the age of 65 are as useless as they are now. Gotto find out how to fix the aging process first. (I think aubrey de grey does have the right mindset by thinking of the body as a machine who's broken parts you can replace. Don't agree with everything he says though)

When it happens it would only have a positive impact on society as we would need to expand and colonize somewhere outside of our blue dot. Meaning faster advancement in science.

That's a bit paranoid.

Last edited by dayarath (2010-09-24 06:35:22)

inane little opines
..teddy..jimmy
+1,393|6641
Would be great- I'd be fucking a perky vagina till I die.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard