Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6075|eXtreme to the maX
I guess I'll have to chew through the prospectus - on the basis half of it is lies, or all of it is lies if Goldman Sachs are involved.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

The stock market runs on two basic principals, greed and fear.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

QR is a pretty safe bet. Considering that there's a mining boom at the moment and the fact that the mining industry will generally need to transport stuff by rail AND Glenn Stevens saying that this mining boom will result in inflation which will lead to a rise in the interest rate this all means money for QR investment. I've got to say though that Bligh is handling this all wrong. In general people are opposed to asset sales and you can't just act like you know what's best for them. She's saying things like "The Labor party will listen to people" and sending her MPs off to do work experience, (anything resulting in a former vegetarian working in an abattoir works well for me though - and to Rachel Nolan's credit she handled it well,) in a ridiculous stunt  - but then laces this with "but I'm not changing my mind on asset sales." It's like she's inviting people to debate Nietzsche with a catholic priest. It doesn't bode well for her.

Going by recent polling numbers she's fucked either way but when the alternative is John Paul Langbroek who's only marketable skill is pissing off his own ministers who knows what could happen.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
JP Lanbroek has only got one policy...He's not Anna Bligh. I am traditionally a Labor voter, however I couldnt give a damn if QLD labor got in again or not ( which they definitely wont) . NSW Labor should be next to go, they need a good kick up the arse.

I would also be interested to hear what people think of Tony Abbott allegedely breaking the deal to have a paired speaker. I bet he wouldnt have broken the deal if the independents sided with the Coalition. With a Labor Speaker, Gillard has almost no majority ( 1 seat) and will only take one bi election to go back to a tied vote.

Last edited by Burwhale (2010-09-23 05:13:10)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Lots of coal needing lots of transport may look good on paper, however we don't know at this point how profitable it is or how much investment is needed in the near future. Guess I'll have to read the prospectus.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Burwhale wrote:

I would also be interested to hear what people think of Tony Abbott allegedely breaking the deal to have a paired speaker. I bet he wouldnt have broken the deal if the independents sided with the Coalition. With a Labor Speaker, Gillard has almost no majority ( 1 seat) and will only take one bi election to go back to a tied vote.
I reckon it's pretty fucking hypocritical of Julia Gillard to start berating Abbott for backing down - I mean it's expected, this is politics after all - but let's get real. In the period after the election Gillard would have agreed to give Katter, Windsor and Oakeshott a blowjob each on live TV if it meant the Labor party were't shamed into the first one-term goverment in over 70 years, not to mention the complete failure of Gillard herself and the Labor party in ousting Rudd who was still a very very electable leader despite his run-in with the mining industry and environmentalists.

I doubt Gillard was any more keen on the policy of pairing the speaker than Abbott is, she's probably relieved at an excuse to drop it. When oakeshott expressed interest in becmoing the speaker Gillard and Labor were all "um, yeah, sure, go for it Robbie, you can do it". Then Oakeshott sits down with Abbott to discuss it and comes out of the meeting thinking that yeah, maybe having an Independant speaker in a hung parliament isn't such a good idea and dropping the idea  - probably because Abbott didn't bullshit him and simply informed him what a clusterfuck parliament would be if Oakeshott was speaker.

Labor is so keep to appease at the moment and fair enough too because their power hangs by a thread. Abbott, meanwhile, can sit back and do his thing. If the opportunity arises I have no doubt that he'll pounce on it and fuck things up royally for Gillard but at the moment he can bide his time and wait for the moment to be right. Flip-flopping on this one policy, (which I don't think is even a good idea,) isn't likely to hurt him in the long run.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
have i mentioned how much i despise and have contempt for the far left activist movements, such as the more vocal factions of greenpeace (i.e. most of it)?

now i have.

he was a former fucking prime minister of the fucking country you fucking retards, and oversaw a transition into a booming economy, setting us up for a free ride through the worst economic times in half a century.

give him some fucking respect you fucking tools.

ugh.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6118|'straya
I particularly like their complete lack of a grip on reality.
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
For those who don't know what we're talking about

Howard is a much more classy fellow than I gave him credit for.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6118|'straya
Love the comment at the end, "If that's all they have got to throw at you then you have nothing to worry about"

Fucking Greenpeace, all that sort of behaviour does is further alienate their organisation from the majority of the Australian public.

Last edited by Little BaBy JESUS (2010-10-25 20:45:52)

Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
Personally I have no time for John Howard. I wouldnt throw shoes at him though. He is not worth the shoes.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Having read the extract from Howard's autobiography in 'The Australian' I've lost a lot of the respect I had for him.

He acted like an emperor, not a prime minister.

On another subject, the National Broadband Network is shaping up to be the biggest stuff up possible, forget pink batts and the BER, this will eclipse everything which has gone before.

FTTH is not a model Aus wants, needs or will be prepared to pay for.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-10-27 05:12:34)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6122|what

Same problem was with Rudd - he became an autocrat and not representative of the Labor Party.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Happens to everyone eventually, although Rudd broke the speed record, and Gillard was there in a nanosecond - I'm pretty sure within about an hour she was saying "spoyking as proym moynistur" with a big fat smirk and a swagger.
Spark
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

Same problem was with Rudd - he became an autocrat and not representative of the Labor Party.
His main problem was that he tried to micromanage. Highly unpopular man in this city.

Howard probably kicked it off though.
~ Richard Feynman
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

I covered an interview with the guy who threw the shoes. What a silly little idiot. I mean he had a point to make, not one that hasn't been made a million times before and better though. Good thing was the only responses he got was people telling him that he throws like a girl.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina
It's kind of funny that a far left protester would emulate the same sort of protest as a far right one in Iraq.

The Iraqi reporter who threw shoes at Bush was both a self-serving opportunist (which makes him the same as Bush in that regard) and an Iraqi nationalist.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

Dilbert_X wrote:

Having read the extract from Howard's autobiography in 'The Australian' I've lost a lot of the respect I had for him.

He acted like an emperor, not a prime minister.

On another subject, the National Broadband Network is shaping up to be the biggest stuff up possible, forget pink batts and the BER, this will eclipse everything which has gone before.

FTTH is not a model Aus wants, needs or will be prepared to pay for.
pre election estimates of $8000 per household. It was never and will never be a financially sound investment.

But the when has labor ever made a financially sound investment??
Turquoise
O Canada

AussieReaper wrote:

See, what you guys really need is a PM of the Australian Sex Party. 
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

Turquoise wrote:

It's kind of funny that a far left protester would emulate the same sort of protest as a far right one in Iraq.

The Iraqi reporter who threw shoes at Bush was both a self-serving opportunist (which makes him the same as Bush in that regard) and an Iraqi nationalist.
How is a nationalist necessarily right-wing?
Turquoise
O Canada

Dilbert_X wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

How is a nationalist necessarily right-wing?
In most countries, nationalism is a right wing attribute.  I would assume the same is true for Iraq.

In general, it's actually more liberal to be pro-Western in the Middle East.

Ironically, liberalism in the West itself tends to be anti-war and isolationist.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
The broadband network seems bad if you listen to the liberal party or right wing shock jocks. Otherwise its a a good idea. Campbell Newman, liberal party mayor of Brisbane is doing his own. $8000 per house sounds like bullshit to me.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Rough calculation $43bn/5m houses = $8600

I used to work in the industry, fibre to the home is bullshit, if it means people are forced over to IP phones then its utter bullshit.
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Saying $8000 per household is incredibly misleading. The NBN is going to be rolled out over the next eight years. Turn $8000 per household to $1000 per household a year and it already sounds less alarmist. Adding in the consideraton that in 05-06 the average Austraian household was paying $12,376 per year in income tax alone... well $1000 per year doesn't seem like much at all any more, especially not for an asset like the NBN.

Whether it's managed properly so the best can be made out of it? Well that's another story. The cost though is hardly an issue.

I've listened to a lot of those right wing shock jocks' shows. The term that comes to mind is 'circle jerk'.
[Blinking eyes thing]
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
I don't know, to be forced to pay $8,000 for something I don't really need, may decide not to use and will probably make a huge commercial loss is somewhat alarming

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard