blademaster
I'm moving to Brazil
+2,075|6615
https://img17.imageshack.us/img17/4227/quantum20chip604x341.jpg
https://www.maximumpc.com/files/u3606/purdue_quantum.jpg
A new type of silicon chip that works on light instead of electricity could pave the way for the first ultra-fast "quantum computer.," British scientists claimed Thursday.The new chips send signals via packets of light rather than electrical impulses, and hugely powerful machines based on them will be able to search vast databases almost instantaneously and greatly increase computer memory.

"It is widely believed that a quantum computer will not become a reality for at least another 25 years," says Professor Jeremy O'Brien, Director of the Centre for Quantum Photonics in Bristol, England. "However, we believe, using our new technique, a quantum computer could, in less than ten years, be performing calculations that are outside the capabilities of conventional computers."Applications for the chip, are likely to be complex simulations of biological molecules and drugs that are beyond the capability of conventional machines.

“We can perform calculations that are exponentially more complex than before,” O’Brien said. “This will pave the way to quantum computers that will help us understand the most complex scientific problems.”The researchers believe that their device represents a new route to a quantum computer -- a powerful type of computer that uses quantum bits (qubits) rather than the conventional bits used in today's computers.

Unlike conventional bits or transistors, which can be in one of only two states at any one time (a 1 or a 0), a qubit can be in several states at the same time and can therefore be used to hold and process a much larger amount of information at a greater rate.

source
Should be interesting to see if they release it earlier, or maybe it wont be released at all...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Meh. By then I'll probably have tired of gaming and gone on to another hobby.
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6481|Gold Coast
Neat.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
Electrons already travel at close to the speed of light, so 'light-speed' is a bit of a misnomer.
The article says the technology could be available in under 10 years, more probably >25 years, under 5 years is a stretch TBH.

/pedantry
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Meh. By then I'll probably have tired of gaming and gone on to another hobby.

unnamednewbie13 on Zbrush or Mudbox wrote:

I'm probably going to grab one or the other this fall. Any personal preferences or recommendations?
wat

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2010-09-21 00:40:27)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Gaming =/= zbrush??

I was also more responding to:
"It is widely believed that a quantum computer will not become a reality for at least another 25 years,"
Which is not =/= this fall. It's also more of a realistic figure than five years, going off of all the empty promises of industry past.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio
flying cars by the year 2000
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Gaming =/= zbrush??

"It is widely believed that a quantum computer will not become a reality for at least another 25 years,"
Which is not =/= this fall. It's also more of a realistic figure than five years, going off of all the empty promises of industry past.
It sounded like you said that there wouldn't be a point in having a high end computer if you quit gaming.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

Not sure where you're coming from. I still don't get the connect between zbrush and gaming, unless you zbrush for games.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Well you're still going to need a good rig if you're using ZBrush.

The computers at Uni (Xeon W3550, 6 GB RAM, nVidia Quadro 1800) start showing a little slowdown once my models hit 5 million-ish polys.

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2010-09-22 02:07:08)

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

I don't need a quantum computer to run Zbrush. Not unless it's a solo workstation and I'm making a set for Avatar 3.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Using Zbrush 4.0 when those computers are out will probably be like drawing on cave walls in the present.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

At the rate art software is changing nowadays, I bet. I still wouldn't want to plug my brain into a machine, even if it meant faster drawing.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Gaming =/= zbrush??

Yeah, I doubt we will see this anytime if ever, the thing I found most promising was graphene processors.
Defiance
+438|6641

11 Bravo wrote:

flying cars by the year 2000
As I recall, the technology is fairly well developed. The problem is that no municipality wants to change their vehicle infrastructure.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard