Defiance
+438|6669

Very difficult to aim properly, but not at all physically impossible.
naightknifar
Served and Out
+642|6560|Southampton, UK

The clip sucked major balls. But yeah - possible.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6221|Escea

Pretty much the general consensus of everyone else.

Plausible but feckin' hard.
Phrozenbot
+632|6614|do not disturb

I imagine that since you are in terminal velocity, so are the bullets. It is a matter of how well you can aim I suppose.

Just a guess though, not tactical realism.

Last edited by Phrozenbot (2010-09-12 09:57:28)

UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5035|Massachusetts, USA
needs more mythbusters
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Phrozenbot
+632|6614|do not disturb

UnkleRukus wrote:

needs more mythbusters
I was just going to suggest that.
NooBesT
Pizzahitler
+873|6467

Phrozenbot wrote:

I imagine that since you are in terminal velocity, so are the bullets. It is a matter of how well you can aim I suppose.

Just a guess though, not tactical realism.
Terminal velocity is affected by drag too. So the bullets have different terminal velocity than a person does when falling. Though the effect would be minimal in the travel time of the bullet.
https://i.imgur.com/S9bg2.png
Phrozenbot
+632|6614|do not disturb

I'd rather try to shoot someone out of the sky with a shotgun than a pistol, or a smg if it is that difficult.
BVC
+325|6694
You had to do that in BC2's single player campaign, right at the end.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6284|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Pubic wrote:

OH SNAP! Sorry for posting this topic, the proof was right there in the video game... Well hot damn... Sorry for posting guys, don't know why I asked when I've tried and done it in the videogame and it totally worked there, I could even aim and everything...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
JakAttaK
csanva<3
+492|6324|England
I don't think he was saying it proves it works, he was just saying...you had to do it lol. Too quick on the defensive there Floppy.
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.

FloppY_ wrote:

Pubic wrote:

OH SNAP! Sorry for posting this topic, the proof was right there in the video game... Well hot damn... Sorry for posting guys, don't know why I asked when I've tried and done it in the videogame and it totally worked there, I could even aim and everything...
He wasn't saying that proved it would work it real life, he was just saying it...

Ugh
FloppY_
­

JakAttaK wrote:

I don't think he was saying it proves it works, he was just saying...you had to do it lol. Too quick on the defensive there Floppy.

jord wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Pubic wrote:

He wasn't saying that proved it would work it real life, he was just saying it...

Ugh
I know guys, I just felt it was abit too "captain obvious goes random"...

Like if I said 1+1=2 out of nowhere in the middle of a thread discussing high end math...
BVC
+325|6694
Just mentioning there was such a scene in a battlefield game, nothing more.
FloppY_
­

Pubic wrote:

Just mentioning there was such a scene in a battlefield game, nothing more.
Kurazoo
Pheasant Plucker
+440|6683|West Yorkshire, U.K
It's not possible, come on guys think.
Mutantbear
Semi Constructive Criticism
+1,431|5963|London, England

So if a plane was on a treadmill, would it take off?
_______________________________________________________________________________________________ https://i.imgur.com/Xj4f2.png
Miggle
FUCK UBISOFT
+1,411|6740|FUCK UBISOFT

if a tree falls on a treadmill does it take off?
https://i.imgur.com/86fodNE.png
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6718|Scotland

Mutantbear wrote:

depends on the speed of the tread.

RE: the OP I presume you'd have to aim way below the target,  the bullet hits the 150mph+ relative upward wind speed.

interesting, I'd imagine it would be solid.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6444|Amsterdam‫

Miggle wrote:

if a tree falls on a treadmill does it take off?
if there is no friction between the wheel mount and the wheel, and if the treadmill is 3miles long.  yes

because no power goes to the wheels of the air plane, the jet-engines push the plane forward.
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
mcgid1
Meh...
+129|6715|Austin, TX/San Antonio, TX
Physically impossible, no.  Practically impossible, pretty much.

Shooting straight up or down, probably not too bad for the first shot.  Recoil will probably tip you out of your original position spoiling your aim for a second shot. 
Shooting to the side, you effectively have a 150mph cross wind.
You there's no way to stabilize yourself except with your body position.  If you want to take aim at something, your body position is going to have to change, ruining your stability.
Your targets are going to be able to move at a fairly quick rate relative to you, making your already horrible aiming situation that much more difficult.
Recoil, while not usually significant to someone on the ground, will play merry hell with your trajectory since you don't have any way to brace yourself.
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5998|Vortex Ring State

mcgid1 wrote:

Physically impossible, no.  Practically impossible, pretty much.

Shooting straight up or down, probably not too bad for the first shot.  Recoil will probably tip you out of your original position spoiling your aim for a second shot. 
Shooting to the side, you effectively have a 150mph cross wind.
You there's no way to stabilize yourself except with your body position.  If you want to take aim at something, your body position is going to have to change, ruining your stability.
Your targets are going to be able to move at a fairly quick rate relative to you, making your already horrible aiming situation that much more difficult.
Recoil, while not usually significant to someone on the ground, will play merry hell with your trajectory since you don't have any way to brace yourself.
use recoil to get closer to the guy and knife him tbh, lot easier if your pro at skydiving
LaidBackNinja
Pony Slaystation
+343|6708|Charlie One Alpha

Airwolf wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

Fucking Goddamnit. Not this shit again. The plane takes off because no matter how fast the tread moves the plane's forward movement is provided by jet engine/ propellor which is NOT CONNECTED TO THE WHEELS OF THE PLANE THEREFORE NOT AFFECTED BY WHATEVER FORWARDS OR BACKWARDS MOVEMENT THE "RUNWAY" IS MAKING.
"If you want a vision of the future, imagine SecuROM slapping your face with its dick -- forever." -George Orwell
UnkleRukus
That Guy
+236|5035|Massachusetts, USA

LaidBackNinja wrote:

Airwolf wrote:

Mutantbear wrote:

Fucking Goddamnit. Not this shit again. The plane takes off because no matter how fast the tread moves the plane's forward movement is provided by jet engine/ propellor which is NOT CONNECTED TO THE WHEELS OF THE PLANE THEREFORE NOT AFFECTED BY WHATEVER FORWARDS OR BACKWARDS MOVEMENT THE "RUNWAY" IS MAKING.
I still think it will.
If the women don't find ya handsome. They should at least find ya handy.
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5787|Catherine Black
It won't take off.

No wind over wings = no lift.

Last edited by Finray (2010-09-13 11:22:32)

https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard