Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

Bloody ricer.

https://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/FF_CCSa1F/taskbarsuperior.png
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
Sorry if I have enough CPU power and RAM to make my interface look nice.

https://i.imgur.com/Wkcd8.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Finray wrote:

Implying it looks nice
Implying you should look at your UI and not the contents presented by it
0/10

Also, Aero breaks shit. It is with great dismay I use it on my laptop, because of ATI's failings in the field of power saving.
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Finray
Hup! Dos, Tres, Cuatro
+2,629|5758|Catherine Black
Implying looking nice is not a subjective matter.
Implying you never look at your taskbar.

Never had a single case of Aero 'breaking shit' aside from old games, which I can easily turn it off for.
https://i.imgur.com/qwWEP9F.png
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Too much OT....

Bought this: Actron CP9410 PocketScan Plus Diagnostic Code Reader for OBDII Vehicles
Broodbeleg
+34|5823|The Netherlands
looks similair to mine
https://i51.tinypic.com/5cgjcx.jpg
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
https://img52.imageshack.us/img52/8596/20100910160243clipboard.png

W00tage to the max.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
Having trouble deciding between this:

Acer asipre 7552G $830
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=41643 … cture=ACER

Display Resolution:             1600 x 900
Screen Size:                     17"
Graphics Controller Model:     Mobilty Radeon HD 5650
Memory:                             4 GB
Processor Core:                 Phenom II  N930 2.0 Ghz Quad-core
Hard Drive Capacity:             500 GB

And something like this, but swap the HDD out for a 128GB SSD

Acer Aspire AS5745 $660
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? … cture=Acer

Processor      Intel® Core i3-350M
Memory              4GB
HDD                  320 GB
Display              15.6" HD 1366 x 768
Graphics            Intel® HD Graphics with 128 (think its the 4500 graphics)
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Why, oh, why must it be Acer? If you're considering spending over $800, at least get an HP Probook.
mikkel
+383|6571
Widening the page and 1-upping the ladyboys.

https://shinn.me/pictures/perm/taskbar.png
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Why, oh, why must it be Acer? If you're considering spending over $800, at least get an HP Probook.
uh cause, to get close to the same specs ( but worse still) on a HP probook it would actually cost  $1330, instead of $830 for the acer, thats 500 bucks more for less. I do like the brushed metal looks better, but thats about it.

Actually I could get this and price match it to $860
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? … 20Consumer
It actually comes with the i5 430M not the 450M

Last edited by Nic (2010-09-10 18:21:58)

max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6538|NYC / Hamburg

There's a reason acers are cheap. They're shit quality
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
FFLink
There is.
True, but if you can look after your laptop, they're fine.

My friend's had 2 Acer laptops over the course of the past 4-5 years, and each one he REALLY looks after, and I've never heard any complaints that aren't due to the internal components (GPU not good enough, etc.).

My Acer netbook though broke very easily when someone slammed a phone down on top of it (Broke the screen).

So they're worth the purchase if you can look after your shit well enough.
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

Freezer7Pro wrote:

I'm sure he'll change his mind when he needs a new one next year.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6256|Denmark aka Automotive Hell
Unless you get the high-end HPs they are generally shittier than Acers...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Benzin
+576|5969
Anything from Acer is really suspect in terms of build quality.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Nic wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

uh cause, to get close to the same specs ( but worse still) on a HP probook it would actually cost  $1330, instead of $830 for the acer, thats 500 bucks more for less. I do like the brushed metal looks better, but thats about it.

Actually I could get this and price match it to $860
http://www.ncix.com/products/index.php? … 20Consumer
It actually comes with the i5 430M not the 450M
Buying a laptop based solely upon specifications is not a very smart move. The reason for the Probooks costing more than other laptops (including Pavilions - they're not much better than Acers) is because they're built to much higher standards than consumer laptops, much like Thinkpads, but not at the same level. The total cost of ownership for a more expensive machine is almost always lower than that of a cheaper one, since it'll run even though the warranty is out.

FFLink wrote:

My friend's had 2 Acer laptops over the course of the past 4-5 years, and each one he REALLY looks after, and I've never heard any complaints that aren't due to the internal components (GPU not good enough, etc.).

My Acer netbook though broke very easily when someone slammed a phone down on top of it (Broke the screen).

If you buy an Acer, and exclusively use it as a desktop replacement, they can often run for quite a while. However, if you want to move it around, subjecting it to mechanical stress, you can't count on it running for more than two years, really.

The solder joints in Acers are nothing short of horrid, and they'll only stand for the laptop getting bent and banged that many times. Even if you're careful, carrying a laptop around in a messenger bag or suitcase will bend it to some extent, so you aren't getting away, unless you just carry it under your arm every time you're mobile.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-09-11 13:45:31)

-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
Well, I was able to find this Probook that I could price match down to 845 CAD:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=88889 … Commercial

Specs:

Screen Size:     17.3"
Display Resolution:     1600 x 900
Graphics Controller Model:     Mobility Radeon HD 5470
Standard Memory:     4 GB DDR3-1066/PC3-8500
Processor Model:     i3-370M 2.40 GHz
Operating System:     Windows 7 Professional x64
Hard Drive Capacity:     320 GB     7200rpm
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Nic wrote:

Well, I was able to find this Probook that I could price match down to 845 CAD:
http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=88889 … Commercial

Specs:

Screen Size:     17.3"
Display Resolution:     1600 x 900
Graphics Controller Model:     Mobility Radeon HD 5470
Standard Memory:     4 GB DDR3-1066/PC3-8500
Processor Model:     i3-370M 2.40 GHz
Operating System:     Windows 7 Professional x64
Hard Drive Capacity:     320 GB     7200rpm
I'd advise you to get the b-series over the s-series. The b series are notable sturdier than the s series, since they've got a fat-arse magnesium frame inside.

http://www.ncix.com/products/?sku=54990 … %20Packard , for example.
FFLink
There is.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FFLink wrote:

If you buy an Acer, and exclusively use it as a desktop replacement, they can often run for quite a while. However, if you want to move it around, subjecting it to mechanical stress, you can't count on it running for more than two years, really.

The solder joints in Acers are nothing short of horrid, and they'll only stand for the laptop getting bent and banged that many times. Even if you're careful, carrying a laptop around in a messenger bag or suitcase will bend it to some extent, so you aren't getting away, unless you just carry it under your arm every time you're mobile.
Just to say, he took them to College and 6th form almost every day we were in, in a laptop bag/backpack.

Not arguing your points specifically, but from what I've seen, as I said, if you take care of them, they'll last you til the tech becomes out of date.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada

FFLink wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Just to say, he took them to College and 6th form almost every day we were in, in a laptop bag/backpack.

Not arguing your points specifically, but from what I've seen, as I said, if you take care of them, they'll last you til the tech becomes out of date.
same goes for most, I've got a shitty compaq still kicking around from like 5 years ago... Since I'm on a budget, I need to find a good mix of specs, wants, durability, and lastly looks.

It will be replacing my desktop, so I do want a 17" screen.
I will also be doing some photo and video editing, as well as light gaming, so something a bit better than intels 4500 chip is needed.
bluetooth is nice, so it would work with my mouse, without having to use an adapter
Number pad is a plus.
I want something that will hold up, but I dont need a tank if it is going to make me give up to much in other areas.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

FFLink wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

FFLink wrote:

Hm. He was a very lucky person. A very lucky person indeed.
Varegg
Support fanatic :-)
+2,206|6780|Nårvei

Ordered this upgrade-kit today

i7-930 2,8GHz (1366)
Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R
Corsair XMS3 DDR3 6GB
Wait behind the line ..............................................................
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

https://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/FF_CCSa1F/nyhdd.jpg

My first hard-drive purchase since 2007. If I keep gathering data at this rate, this baby will last me another decade.
Morpheus
This shit still going?
+508|5969|The Mitten

Freezer7Pro wrote:

http://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/ … /nyhdd.jpg

My first hard-drive purchase since 2007. If I keep gathering data at this rate, this baby will last me another decade.
Do you have 6 FLAC albums now?
/too easy

also, my Dell laptop is still going strong, after 4+ years...
EE (hats

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard