Poll

Who attends church regularly? Or tries to.

i do10%10% - 14
i dont, but im christian29%29% - 40
i dont, im not christian60%60% - 83
Total: 137
jord
+2,382|6688|The North, beyond the wall.

DBBrinson1 wrote:

Not going anymore.  Faith renounced a looong time ago.  There is no God.  Wifee still goes, along with Son.  She's a firm believer.
I've all ready killed Santa, the Easter Bunny and Tooth fairy for him...  Guess who's next?  Shattering a child's innocence (at the time 6 yr old's) sucks pretty hard.
I don't envy those conversations. Must be difficult to guess how to go about it.

"Son, you know heaven? Yeah it probably doesn't exist. You know god? Well he might not either".

Inb4 awkward but where do we go when we die questions.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6631|London, England
You wouldn't have the problem of having to "break the bad news" about heaven/god/santa claus if the kid never believed in that in the first place.

People will argue "but then you're robbing them of their childhood" - since when was god/religion and santa and shit a requirement for a good childhood anyway? Who's the authoritative figure on that? The pope? Does the pope shit in the woods?
jord

Mekstizzle wrote:

You wouldn't have the problem of having to "break the bad news" about heaven/god/santa claus if the kid never believed in that in the first place.

People will argue "but then you're robbing them of their childhood" - since when was god/religion and santa and shit a requirement for a good childhood anyway? Who's the authoritative figure on that? The pope? Does the pope shit in the woods?
Indeed. Though I'm not gonna get into the ins and outs of parenting, especially when irishpride isn't here to soak up the knowledge.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6202|Roma
I was aiming more at not saying that God doesn't exist. If his wife believes, then it wouldn't be much trouble, he would just have to let him make his own mind up whether to believe or not.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
jord

PrivateVendetta wrote:

I was aiming more at not saying that God doesn't exist. If his wife believes, then it wouldn't be much trouble, he would just have to let him make his own mind up whether to believe or not.
How is the kid gonna make his own mind up within the next 10 years when he's only getting one side of the story from his mum?

Its best that he gets both sides and can make up his own mind. Not that 6 year olds can make up their own minds on anything, it'll be whoever influences him the most.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6665

Not a Christian, don't go. It's been ruined by the few people I know who do go. E.g., one time an aunt was taking my cousins to church while me and my siblings were staying at home. One of my cousins wanted to stay at home and hang out with us, and skip church. She yells out, "If you don't go to church, you're going to Hell!" then stares me down. Yeah, fuck you, too, bitch. Don't want to participate in something that instills that kind of attitude (I know not everyone who goes is like that, but that's why I said it's been ruined by the few people I do know who go, since they can be like that.). Besides, I'm not a believer anyway, so the sermon would fall on deaf ears.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2010-09-07 14:09:50)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6481
but matty, you're an engineer, you shoudl have more faith than anyone else

FUCKING MAGNETS - HOW DO THEY WORK?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6665

Uzique wrote:

but matty, you're an engineer, you shoudl have more faith than anyone else

FUCKING MAGNETS - HOW DO THEY WORK?
Magnets are pieces of metal that still have a little bit of gravity in them because they are dug up deep beneath the earth.

And I admit I'm very thankful to God who made the apple in the Garden of Eden drop on Albert Einstein's head so that he could discover math.
Stingray24
Proud member of the vast right-wing conspiracy
+1,060|6456|The Land of Scott Walker

eleven bravo wrote:

Ive always found it interesting how defensive and personal the super religious get when the ideas of doctrine and practice are criticized
Sure, but that applies to religious and non-religious tbh.  Just take a look at this thread ...
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

Stingray24 wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Ive always found it interesting how defensive and personal the super religious get when the ideas of doctrine and practice are criticized
Sure, but that applies to religious and non-religious tbh.  Just take a look at this thread ...
Some of the most abusive language I've heard on this subject comes from 'level-headed' atheists proselytizing their beliefs.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5269|foggy bottom
I also find it interesting that whenever religious people get called out on examples of defensiveness and contempt, they tend to go the "we're not the only ones who do it" route
Tu Stultus Es
ghettoperson
+1,943|6660

Hardcore atheists annoy me just as much as hardcore Christians. I'd rather everyone would just STFU about their beliefs and let everyone believe what they want.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5596

ghettoperson wrote:

Hardcore atheists annoy me just as much as hardcore Christians. I'd rather everyone would just STFU about their beliefs and let everyone believe what they want.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

eleven bravo wrote:

I also find it interesting that whenever religious people get called out on examples of defensiveness and contempt, they tend to go the "we're not the only ones who do it" route
The timing doesn't make it any less of a fact.
Stingray24

eleven bravo wrote:

The blanket covers those on both sides when it comes to defensiveness and personal jabs when challenged.  No justification, simple fact.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5247|Cleveland, Ohio
how someone can believe in some man in the clouds is sad tbh
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6747|Oxferd Ohire
you mean you havent seen god in all the times youve flown 11?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
eleven bravo
+1,399|5269|foggy bottom

Stingray24 wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

The blanket covers those on both sides when it comes to defensiveness and personal jabs when challenged.  No justification, simple fact.
noone here said it didnt.  but you are always very quick to point that out.
Tu Stultus Es
Stingray24
Because it's a valid point, right?  If I made a one-sided post stating atheists were always charging about getting personal when people declare their faith, I'd expect you to point out people of faith do the same ... and you'd be right.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6782|PNW

11 Bravo wrote:

That imagery is so cliche.
11 Bravo
Banned

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

That imagery is so cliche.
well whatever.  you get the point.
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6297|eng
Got other things to be doing at that time on a Sunday, e.g sleeping.
#rekt
11 Bravo
Banned

Mint Sauce wrote:

and fornicating
Mint Sauce
Frighteningly average
+780|6297|eng

11 Bravo wrote:

Mint Sauce wrote:

and fornicating
Indeed, or that.
#rekt
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5484|Ventura, California

11 Bravo wrote:

Ultrafunkula wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I just knock on their door, hand em a tract and go about my way. That's not harassing.
Then why not drop it in the mailbox?
owned.  fucking owned.

get your cult off my door mat, shifty.
Dropping it in the mailbox isn't personal that's why.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard