Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

Mitch wrote:

Nope, its a sales tactic. We learned about this in one of our training sessions at work.

"Fill it up with premium?" will get many more people to say yes to paying for the expensive gas, compared to asking "Do you want regular or premium?"
premium is still better and depends on the vehicle if you need it or not.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
aerodynamic
FOCKING HELL
+241|5755|Roma

DrunkFace wrote:

aerodynamic wrote:

Uhmm.
I've got a Golf Mark VI 1.4 TSI.
Which basically has a turbocharger and a supercharger.
Is it recommended to use premium?
It's recommended you use 98 octane, and no less then 95. Anything less can cause long term damage to the engine.

Also every company in every country has a different definition of what is "premium" petrol. So make sure you know the octane levels and don't rely on the wording.
alright, will do a search.
thanks
https://bf3s.com/sigs/8ea27f2d75b353b0a18b096ed75ec5e142da7cc2.png
FatherTed
xD
+3,936|6502|so randum

Mitch wrote:

Nope, its a sales tactic. We learned about this in one of our training sessions at work.

"Fill it up with premium?" will get many more people to say yes to paying for the expensive gas, compared to asking "Do you want regular or premium?"
unsure how quoted post is relevant itt.
Small hourglass island
Always raining and foggy
Use an umbrella
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.
Its a shit sales tactic and you can tell you teacher I said that.

"Do you want premium?"
No.

"Do you want to supersize?"
No.

Maybe I should teach a class...
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6115|SC | USA |
Meh, regardless of brand, fill up with the recommended octane in your manual.

In case you don't know: US Octane =/= EU Octane

91 AKI (US) = ~95 RON (EU)
-CARNIFEX-[LOC]
Da Blooze
+111|6656
I've been told that you should simply run the car at the recommended octane (87 for most std. US autos), but if you want to run higher octane (91+) that's fine, but stick with it and don't flip-flop between the two grades.  And, if you think you need to "clean out the system", buy some Sea Foam (or other fuel additive) every once in a while.

Any thoughts as to the validity of this?
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/12516/Bitch%20Hunter%20Sig.jpg
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6115|SC | USA |

-CARNIFEX-[LOC] wrote:

I've been told that you should simply run the car at the recommended octane (87 for most std. US autos), but if you want to run higher octane (91+) that's fine, but stick with it and don't flip-flop between the two grades.  And, if you think you need to "clean out the system", buy some Sea Foam (or other fuel additive) every once in a while.

Any thoughts as to the validity of this?
Incorrect. The EPA requires all US gas to have the same detergents, regardless of octane.

A different octane rating is just an octane rating. ECU's are designed to adjust to differences in fuel/air pressure/etc. What ever you change is read by the ECU and adjusted accordingly to the known values that have been programmed into it.
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5511|America
The place near me sells 2nd best for the same price as regular so yeah I do use better stuff.
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
Reciprocity
+721|6583|the dank(super) side of Oregon
depends on the engine.  High compression and FI engines often need higher octane fuel to prevent pre-ignition and detonation.  My s2000 runs like shit if I don't buy premium.  And as dil-x pointed out with his Subaru, the 7% additional cost of premium gets me 15-20% better fuel economy.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6579|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
If the car say to use "Super" use Super in it, if it dont, its somewhat of a waste.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6744|London

i've only been using super for the past few weeks and i think it does make a difference to how my car drives and sounds.

also the petrol station i normally fill up at is only about £1.16 a litre so it's not that much more really.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6176|Sydney | ♥

I've noticed that i get slightly more km's out of each tank while using the higher octane level petrol.

.. it may even even out :S
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
Its dead even for me, and my car doesn't sound like its running on gravel.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Reciprocity
boxer engines are adorable. 

and evil.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6394|Southern California
Wait, are we just talking octane ratings?

Believe it or not higher octane gas does not contain any extra power. It is in fact harder to burn.
This is what octane is, a measure of combustibility.

Higher octane gas is typically associated with higher performance because the difference in the engines that are designed to use it.

Spark timing in an engine is a balance between lighting the fuel off as late as possible so that the combustion provides maximum torque on the crank (think of trying to push down on you bike pedal at the top, vs when its horizontal with the ground), and preventing the heat from compressing the air/fuel vapors from igniting the mixture and causing it to explode.
Believe it or not, gas in an engine does not explode under normal circumstances, this is what is referred to as detonation and it is very bad. The fuel should burn so that it gently heats and expands forcing the piston down.

Engines with a later spark, or more often higher compression (and higher temperatures created by this compression) need a less combustible fuel to allow for fuel to be ignited, rather then exploded.

Modern engines can sense this detonation, and will dial spark timing back to run safely at the expense of efficiency/power. So in an engine designed for premium you will get less performance or even less MPG due to the engine being dialed back a bit.

In an engine that is designed for regular, you are doing nothing. If anything you are using a less volatile fuel and producing less power... but this would be pretty damn negligible.

So bottom line, on an engine designed for regular you are wasting your time with better unless you bump up your spark timing.
If your engine IS designed for premium, you may actually be getting less distance for your money with a worse gas... and worse performance along the way.
Reciprocity
I'll stick with "magic go-juice"
Dilbert_X
The X stands for

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Wait, are we just talking octane ratings?

Believe it or not higher octane gas does not contain any extra power. It is in fact harder to burn.
This is what octane is, a measure of combustibility.

Higher octane gas is typically associated with higher performance because the difference in the engines that are designed to use it.

Spark timing in an engine is a balance between lighting the fuel off as late as possible so that the combustion provides maximum torque on the crank (think of trying to push down on you bike pedal at the top, vs when its horizontal with the ground), and preventing the heat from compressing the air/fuel vapors from igniting the mixture and causing it to explode.
Believe it or not, gas in an engine does not explode under normal circumstances, this is what is referred to as detonation and it is very bad. The fuel should burn so that it gently heats and expands forcing the piston down.

Engines with a later spark, or more often higher compression (and higher temperatures created by this compression) need a less combustible fuel to allow for fuel to be ignited, rather then exploded.

Modern engines can sense this detonation, and will dial spark timing back to run safely at the expense of efficiency/power. So in an engine designed for premium you will get less performance or even less MPG due to the engine being dialed back a bit.

In an engine that is designed for regular, you are doing nothing. If anything you are using a less volatile fuel and producing less power... but this would be pretty damn negligible.

So bottom line, on an engine designed for regular you are wasting your time with better unless you bump up your spark timing.
If your engine IS designed for premium, you may actually be getting less distance for your money with a worse gas... and worse performance along the way.
'Combustibility' is a new one. Resistance to pre-ignition, which isn't quite the same, is what we're really interested in.
If you have a low compression ratio engine, using premium and playing with the spark timing will do nothing for you.
Reciprocity
most cars are simply better off if you just keep the ignition system in good condition and change the fuel filter every 20 or 30k miles.  most new cars run so efficiently now that they'll chug along for 100k with little more than oil changes.  Most of the tune-ups i do now are initiated by a check engine light.  After 80 or 100k miles the engine finally runs crappy enough to cause misfire codes.  Of course, the sparkplug electrodes have been worn down to nothing, the valve covers are puking oil into sparkplug tubes, the MAF is caked in dirt, the fuel filter is packed with mud, the injectors are gummed up and the pistons/valves/combustion chamber have a coating of carbon.  If they're lucky they didn't burn up their cats and/or oxygen sensors.  Throw in a timing belt and they've got a $1000+ bill all at once.  And in the end they always say, "gee, it did seem to be getting crappier and crappier mileage."  Easy money.
VicktorVauhn

Dilbert_X wrote:

'Combustibility' is a new one. Resistance to pre-ignition, which isn't quite the same, is what we're really interested in.
If you have a low compression ratio engine, using premium and playing with the spark timing will do nothing for you.
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/Combustibility
Resistance to pre-ignition, in other words how capable of combustion it is. It is the same.

And yes, while nothing is ever ALWAYS true, advancing timing will make more power.
No, it will not be like adding a turbo or even likely worth the effort unless your actually racing.

The point isn't that he now needs to go bump up his timing, its that just getting "better" gas alone isn't really better.

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2010-09-10 00:59:35)

Dilbert_X
The X stands for

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Resistance to pre-ignition, in other words how capable of combustion it is. It is the same.

And yes, while nothing is ever ALWAYS true, advancing timing will make more power.
No, it will not be like adding a turbo or even likely worth the effort unless your actually racing.

The point isn't that he now needs to go bump up his timing, its that just getting "better" gas alone isn't really better.
Sorry, resistance to pre-ignition and combustibility are similar and related, but not the same.
VicktorVauhn

Dilbert_X wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Sorry, resistance to pre-ignition and combustibility are similar and related, but not the same.
explain the difference?
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Pre-ignition is caused by compression and/or hotspots in the engine. Resistance to this is a measurable property.
Whether it detonates or just burns after ignition is also a factor.

Combustibility/Flammability is a slightly different measure which includes the above but also includes tests with a source of ignition, eg a flame or a spark.

So you can have different materials with different resistance to pre-ignition but which will burn about the same once ignited eg by a spark.
Different grades of petrol being an example.

Anecdotally I've heard that low RON unleaded petrol is very hard to extinguish once ignited....

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-09-10 17:12:41)

VicktorVauhn

Dilbert_X wrote:

Pre-ignition is caused by compression and/or hotspots in the engine. Resistance to this is a measurable property.
Whether it detonates or just burns after ignition is also a factor.

Combustibility/Flammability is a slightly different measure which includes the above but also includes tests with a source of ignition, eg a flame or a spark.

So you can have different materials with different resistance to pre-ignition but which will burn about the same once ignited eg by a spark.
Different grades of petrol being an example.

Anecdotally I've heard that low RON unleaded petrol is very hard to extinguish once ignited....
lol, heat from compression is the same as ignition from spark or flame... just localized.

The fact is a temperature is reached, and it triggers a chemical reaction.

Your last bit is irrelevant. Who cares about how well it feeds itself once it burns? That just has to do with how much hotter it burns the temperature needed to ignite.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6155|what

SEREMAKER wrote:

https://www.cbseyemobile.com/files/cbs.troubby.21360.dd.jpg
https://img827.imageshack.us/img827/9703/1249567555020.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Um no, thousands of degrees C in a spark or flame are not quite the same as the few hundred from compression or an engine hotspot.
Its not just heat either, the free ions and plasma in a spark or flame have a different effect to pure heat.
And finally, combustion from igntion compared to pre-ignition is very different.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-09-10 18:02:00)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard