DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6651|Disaster Free Zone

Jaekus wrote:

I find this a little concerning - http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 … 994739.htm

My concern isn't so much which side takes office, it's the people within those electorates are now trying to influence the decision for the federal government.

Sure, the Independents hold power right now, but that's their job. It would be a real shame for democracy if they bowed to pressure from their individual constituencies rather than basing their decision upon the merits of both parties for the good of the nation. The result may be the same regardless, but at least it's done in the right way.
Are you kidding?

They're in a once in a lifetime situation. they'll milk it for everything they can. Also in theory they should be acting solely for the benefit of their electorate and stuff the rest of the country.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Sauerkrauts are German, not hotdogs.

For once I'd like to think without cynicism that this situation can indeed be arrived at through a legitimate process. The "Gang of Three" seem like a pretty stout and honest sort (as honest as a politician gets at least) so I'm hoping they'll do the right thing. This is a unique position we find ourselves in and it calls for more than simply acting in the best interests of their electorate. Pages of history are being written here, they need to get it right.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I seem to be more eloquent when drinking...
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Jaekus wrote:

Sauerkrauts are German, not hotdogs.

For once I'd like to think without cynicism that this situation can indeed be arrived at through a legitimate process. The "Gang of Three" seem like a pretty stout and honest sort (as honest as a politician gets at least) so I'm hoping they'll do the right thing. This is a unique position we find ourselves in and it calls for more than simply acting in the best interests of their electorate. Pages of history are being written here, they need to get it right.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
I seem to be more eloquent when drinking...
Hotdogs are Wieners, they are Austrian.

Members of parliament are supposed to act in their electorates interest first I think.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
This sounds more like someone acting like a poor loser than a member of parliamnet -- http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010 … 994988.htm

What a douche.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
"Now the outspoken Family First senator says he believes voters are "not happy" with Labor and says he could decide to block a Labor government's bills in the Senate."
They're 'not happy' with him if he lost his seat.
Time to STFU.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Yeah, exactly!

He got 2.9% of the fucking Senate vote. 11% short of the required 14%.
If he had said "I still move to block this policy or that bill" there wouldn't be an issue, but essentially saying "I will block everything" is fucking retarded.

And this quote:
"[People say], 'you could determine whether there's a stable government or not'."
Just proves to highlight is douchebaggery.

EDIT: The link has been updated by the ABC
But Opposition Leader Tony Abbott's spokeswoman has indicated that if there is a Labor administration, the Coalition would be responsible and not combine with Senator Fielding to block supply.
Looks like Fielding is well and truly fucked. I'd find it pretty hard to think the Coalition would side with him anyway tbh.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-08-26 19:18:47)

Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
https://www.australia.to/2010/images/stories/store/gillard.jpg
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
Tony Windsor's decision to back Labor means it's now impossible for the Coalition to get the numbers to form a minority government. If Rob Oakeshott backs Tony Abbott, Parliament would be deadlocked 75-75.
Back to the polls!!!

Or not

After a long speech, Rob Oakeshott announces Labor has his backing "in a points decision".

That gives Julia Gillard the 76 votes she needs to form a minority government.

Last edited by DrunkFace (2010-09-06 22:36:04)

Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
"long" is an understatement

i think we might see ice sheets soon, it's took that "long"
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia
Fuck how long did he have to draw that out for at the end
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
So the govt will be held over a barrel by the Independents who went against their electorate and the Gay Green Party, nothwithstanding the primary vote going to the coalition.
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
Coalition always wins primary though

Always
~ Richard Feynman
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Spark wrote:

Always
Because they are a coalition.

Which makes it all the more amusing when they argue the Labor/Greens "alliance" is un-democratic.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

AussieReaper wrote:

Spark wrote:

Always

Which makes it all the more amusing when they argue the Labor/Greens "alliance" is un-democratic.
Big difference being Liberal/National don't compete for the same seats, Labor/Greens do.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

DrunkFace wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

Spark wrote:

Always

Big difference being Liberal/National don't compete for the same seats, Labor/Greens do.
Yet still preference each other...
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
DrunkFace
Germans did 911

AussieReaper wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

There are no party preferences in the house of reps...
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS

AussieReaper wrote:

DrunkFace wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

not necessarily (although it is so close - 75% - as makes very little difference - but that can be all it needs in a hasluck or corrangamite)
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland

Drunkface wrote:

Really? Who kicked out Wilson Tuckey then??

Not sure if its true that the Coalition always wins primays though, havent checked that though. Bit over the whole thing really, kinda glad Abbott isnt in charge, but who knows, there may be an election really soon.
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland

Drunkface wrote:

There are no party preferences in the house of reps...
This is sorta true, but the when the Greens agree to put labor second on their how to vote cards, it may as well be preferencing. Most green voters know their candidate wont get in , but vote labor over lib.
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
WA nationals are different
~ Richard Feynman
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
Is the Queensland Rail float going to be worth buying into or is it another Telstra?
Spark
+874|6645|Canberra, AUS
Don't know without knowing the specifics. I'd wouldn't be surprised if it was another Telstra though.
~ Richard Feynman
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
Remember telstra went really well for the first couple of years.  ..... Then tanked ever since.
Not sure about QR, it supplies our coal industry so should have many years of business left. I havent read a prospectus, but it probably wouldnt be a bad investment.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
Australian internet is just lulz. how the fuck are they not able to build proper networks when some buttfuck city in the middle of nowhere in the US builds 1GPS internets. fucking aus.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Burwhale
Save the BlobFish!
+136|6192|Brisneyland
Funny , we are talking about trains at the moment. Not really sure what you are on about wrt internet.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard