presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6114|Places 'n such
It's to do with changing his mind on M theory, which he now believes to be right. Apparantly. Big move if it is.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6623
i sure wish leading intellectuals in the sciences, arts and humanities would stop ruining their fucking integrity with this whole 'church of atheism' bullshit. somebody should have done Hawking a favour and pulled the fucking power-supply out from his little chair-computer when he was making that statement. there is so much startling arrogance, audacity and unquestioning reliance on the 'power' of science nowadays that it almost makes the church-goers look like a positively rational and empiricist bunch. science is just becoming another faith with people swallowing 'universal edicts' from a cast of non-stop preachers and beatified saints. whatever happened to logical proof in science? you can't 'prove' anything about the abstract and theoretical area of grand astrophysical assumptions.

tl;dr: shut your stupid robot mouth, hawking
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6114|Places 'n such
to be fair the comment has nothing to do with religion. Hawking, like all good physicists, likes confusing people by using the word "god" as a metaphor for certain laws of nature. All he's saying is he now thinks its due to gravity and not some other external stimulus.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6623
scientists talking in heavily-laden artistic metaphors... good one
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6283|North Tonawanda, NY

Uzique wrote:

i sure wish leading intellectuals in the sciences, arts and humanities would stop ruining their fucking integrity with this whole 'church of atheism' bullshit. somebody should have done Hawking a favour and pulled the fucking power-supply out from his little chair-computer when he was making that statement. there is so much startling arrogance, audacity and unquestioning reliance on the 'power' of science nowadays that it almost makes the church-goers look like a positively rational and empiricist bunch. science is just becoming another faith with people swallowing 'universal edicts' from a cast of non-stop preachers and beatified saints. whatever happened to logical proof in science? you can't 'prove' anything about the abstract and theoretical area of grand astrophysical assumptions.

Kingsley Amis-much?
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6623
more a fan of martin, if im honest
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6152|Vortex Ring State

SenorToenails wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Kingsley Amis-much?
psssh

they're theorists not scientists

saying that them assumes are scientists is like saying Christian Science is science

it isn't
eleven bravo
+1,399|5412|foggy bottom
scientology
Tu Stultus Es
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|6152|Vortex Ring State

eleven bravo wrote:

scientology
that too
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6701|San Diego, CA, USA
Why isn't this thread sticky yet?
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6564|'Murka

Done.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6827|Canberra, AUS
on the hawking thing... i'm actually surprised it took him this long to say it, as he advocates a model of the early universe which includes a very subtle but very very very deep mathematical trick (the wick rotation) which basically all but implies that the universe has no real boundary and hence could not be "created".

presidentsheep wrote:

It's to do with changing his mind on M theory, which he now believes to be right. Apparantly. Big move if it is.
explain more please.

Last edited by Spark (2010-09-03 06:42:40)

The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Spark wrote:

on the hawking thing... i'm actually surprised it took him this long to say it, as he advocates a model of the early universe which includes a very subtle but very very very deep mathematical trick (the wick rotation) which basically all but implies that the universe has no real boundary and hence could not be "created".

presidentsheep wrote:

explain more please.
And he probably worded it the way he did because he has a new book coming out next week...
Phrozenbot
+632|6768|do not disturb

The universe exists 'cause it just does.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|6114|Places 'n such

SenorToenails wrote:

Spark wrote:

presidentsheep wrote:

explain more please.
And he probably worded it the way he did because he has a new book coming out next week...
It's because his old book ended with "for then we should know the mind of God", God meaning the laws of nature. I'm not really familiar with M theory, its something to do with multiple universes all being created by gravity.
This is the same sorta thing as the "God particle" or Einstein's various remarks on "God", I really dont know why Physicists do it.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Phrozenbot wrote:

God did not create the universe, says Hawking

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

Harmor wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

"Because there is a law such as gravity, the universe can and will create itself from nothing. Spontaneous creation is the reason there is something rather than nothing, why the universe exists, why we exist," Hawking writes.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 8#p3302958
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
My bad.

---

One step closer to pilotless commercial planes you think?

Ryanair's CEO Suggests Eliminating Co-Pilots
Phrozenbot
+632|6768|do not disturb

SenorToenails wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?pi … 8#p3302958
I missed that post as well, but that is what I was referencing to. I was just curious as to how this is any different than believing God has always existed, or how it is strange he could ever exist.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Working Tractor Beam Can Move Objects 5 Feet With Just Light
http://www.popsci.com/science/article/2 … cts-5-feet

I wonder if this would help clean up the space junk we in orbit?
Phrozenbot
+632|6768|do not disturb

The system needs heated air or gas to work, so in its present incarnation it wouldn’t work in space — sorry, Star Wars fans. But it could be used for a variety of purposes on Earth, like biological research or movement of hazardous materials.
Silly
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
After years of theoticians speculating...NASA may actually get this project off the ground:

https://img691.imageshack.us/img691/2407/nasascramjetproposal100.jpg

NASA's Next-Gen Spacelaunch System Could Launch Scramjets from a Massive Railgun

The cost savings alone should help this project along.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5738

Harmor wrote:

Next-Gen Spacelaunch System Could Launch Scramjets from a Massive Railgun
inb4
https://ui05.gamespot.com/516/metalgearrex_2.jpg
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Holy crap...this is something out of Sci-fi: magnetic field generator used to manipulate a tiny, untethered probe!!!

https://img214.imageshack.us/img214/4373/roboticsurgerycontrolle.jpg

This technique coupled with advances in real-time imaging technology allows for non-invasive surgery.  Although I'm still waiting for the day when we have nanosurgical bots.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6807

Just saw the space station fly over

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard