Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6745|Reality
A hydrofoil trimaran racing yacht. INSANE speed. Press mute button to save your ears.

wiki wrote:

The Hydroptère is an experimental sailing hydrofoil designed by French yachtsman Alain Thébault. Her multihull hydrofoil design allows the sail-powered vessel  to reach high speeds on water. The design is based on experience from a range of hydrofoil sailcraft that Thébault built in cooperation with the late Eric Tabarly  since the 1990s. On 2008-10-05 she reached a record speed of 52.86 knots (97.90 km/h), however this was over a shorter distance than the 500m necessary to qualify for an official world record.[1] On 2008-12-21, the Hydroptère briefly reached 61 kn, but capsized shortly thereafter.

On September 4, 2009, the Hydroptère broke the outright world record, sustaining a speed of 52.86 kn (97.90 km/h) for 500m in 30 knots of wind.[2] In November 2009, she broke the 50 knot barrier for a nautical mile with a speed of 50.17 kn (92.91 km/h) in Hyères, France.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6108|eXtreme to the maX
Was thinking about making one of these
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6115|SC | USA |
Theres something hilarious about seeing a sailcrew @ 50knts with metal music in the background.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6623|London, England
Fucking sailboats, how do they work
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6413|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.
That's impressive
JahManRed
wank
+646|6630|IRELAND

Mekstizzle wrote:

Black magic and sacrificed babies.
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5719|Vancouver, BC, Canada

JahManRed wrote:

Mekstizzle wrote:

Black magic and sacrificed babies.
No, but seriously?

Ho does a boat hit 61kn in a 20kn wind...?

I don't sail so figure someone that does can give a basic explanation.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6193|Roma
White man's magic.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
TravisC555
+118|6221|Cox Convention Center, OK
Super cool hydrofoil technology

But really, I was on a lake Sunday fishing and the fastest we went was about 34.7 knots, I'm a bit mystified how you can go that fast in a 34mph/55.5km/h wind.

So I guess the hydrofoils help a lot.

wikipedia wrote:

A sailing hydrofoil can achieve speeds exceeding two times the wind speed.

Last edited by TravisC555 (2010-09-07 09:12:26)

The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6115|SC | USA |
It's the same concept that have people asking the question: How could a boat that sits in the water achieve the same speed as the wind?

The lack of drag on a hydrofoil is beneficial. AFAIK you can design the hull to provide an additive amount of lift as well.
rdx-fx
+955|6593

TheDonkey wrote:

Ho does a boat hit 61kn in a 20kn wind...?

I don't sail so figure someone that does can give a basic explanation.
Crosswind is the key.

A wind blowing from the side hitting an angled sail.  No matter how fast the boat is going, that side wind is still hitting it at the same speed.
A wind from directly behind, however, will hit the sail with an effective speed (and force) of zero, once the boat is matching the speed of the wind.
It is the force of the wind, not the speed. The crosswind will keep providing force, long after the tailwind will stop providing force.

Build a boat with ever larger and more efficient sails, combined with minimal hull drag, and you get a faster boat.  Right up until the point where the force on the very large sail tips the boat over.  Then you have to constantly adjust the sail as you accelerate, for the best angle into the wind without tipping the boat over.

Last edited by rdx-fx (2010-09-07 17:18:39)

PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6193|Roma
I was wondering is someone was going to answer.
+1
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California
Random question: Do anchors on boats work well? I always wondered how those "Tiny" anchors could hold such massive ships in place.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard