The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6115|SC | USA |
Good luck Fox, your decision is admirable.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Military is a good decision for a lot of people. Even though a lot of shit would suck lol.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6115|SC | USA |
Service is pretty much expected in my family. College wasn't a hard decision for me, it was basically what uni can get me the most flight hours before I talk to the airforce recruiter. Holding up the airforce pilot tradition in my family is srs bsns.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Service is pretty much expected in my family. College wasn't a hard decision for me, it was basically what uni can get me the most flight hours before I talk to the airforce recruiter. Holding up the airforce pilot tradition in my family is srs bsns.
gl on becoming a pilot that shit is fucking cool. Get those bars son.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5510|America
Yay! Good choice Fox.
"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California
I was going to say "JOIN"!

Then I saw Holland and Army...

Does....not......compute
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Ioan92
+337|5724

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Does....not......compute
Ever heard of NATO?
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5510|America
Shut up you skinny, military-wanna be fagot.

How about you be happy for him instead.

Last edited by Blade4509 (2010-09-03 13:41:34)

"Raise the flag high! Let the degenerates know who comes to claim their lives this day!"
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5475|Ventura, California

Blade4509 wrote:

Fucks sake, that's no way to talk to Ioan.
And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
Blade4509
Wrench turnin' fool
+202|5510|America

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Blade4509 wrote:

Fucks sake, that's no way to talk to Ioan.
Die in a fire.

EDIT: There I quoted you. You know who I'm talking to now?

Last edited by Blade4509 (2010-09-03 13:48:26)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone
knock it off guys
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

-Sh1fty- wrote:

Does....not......compute
shifty just shut up youre killing it. sup and i already had our laugh
SEREVENT
MASSIVE G STAR
+605|6109|Birmingham, UK
good luck too you!
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6115|SC | USA |

Cybargs wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Thanks. My dad was in for 13 years. I was looking through his log book, saw my "first flight" when we were stationed at Keasler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi. I was 3 years old. XD
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6455|The Twilight Zone

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Thanks. My dad was in for 13 years. I was looking through his log book, saw my "first flight" when we were stationed at Keasler AFB in Biloxi, Mississippi. I was 3 years old. XD
nice. Call me when you retire, I need pilots for my private jets
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
VicktorVauhn
+319|6393|Southern California

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Fuck I hate this about the military.

Now not putting down the OP, or the military, or those who join for what ever reason....

But every fucking soldier is supposed to be viewed as so admirable and courageous.

Most are like this guy here.... Now again, glad someone is willing to step up and do the shit I am not willing, don't get me wrong, but lets look at this admirable situation.

Guy with little education is fucked around at a worthless job so he looks for others. He accidentally signs up for the military, and decides to go anyways because he needs the pay check and can't find a better place to get money.

Now again, not trying to put down anything other then this mentality, but.... This is ADMIRABLE? Joining the military because you have too few carrier options and you need a pay check? Not to say its the opposite of admirable, or that it should be looked down upon... but we are really supposed to admire someone relegated to a particular job because they didn't have the financial backing or education to do anything else?
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6718

VicktorVauhn wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Now not putting down the OP, or the military, or those who join for what ever reason....

But every fucking soldier is supposed to be viewed as so admirable and courageous.

Most are like this guy here.... Now again, glad someone is willing to step up and do the shit I am not willing, don't get me wrong, but lets look at this admirable situation.

Guy with little education is fucked around at a worthless job so he looks for others. He accidentally signs up for the military, and decides to go anyways because he needs the pay check and can't find a better place to get money.

Now again, not trying to put down anything other then this mentality, but.... This is ADMIRABLE? Joining the military because you have too few carrier options and you need a pay check? Not to say its the opposite of admirable, or that it should be looked down upon... but we are really supposed to admire someone relegated to a particular job because they didn't have the financial backing or education to do anything else?
At least hes getting paid to get shot at.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5587

VicktorVauhn wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

I understand your point and mostly agree though when it comes to Veterans than it is admirable considering they could have AWALed  before deployment.

That's the way I see it.

on a sidenote, the same could be said for police and firemen.
jord
+2,382|6680|The North, beyond the wall.

VicktorVauhn wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

Well the application process here takes anywhere from a year to 3 years. You can't just stumble into it, "accidently", you have to go and do interviews, a test, a 2 day selection and another interview/oath.

People do join because they have no other options and to avoid a life of crime in and out of prison, I think that's noble.

Just like people join because they want to and have since childhood. Despite other options for academia/civilian jobs.
loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6580|Columbus, OH
My nephew had cold feet when the recruiter showed up to take him to the MEPS; he was crying to me that he did not want to go in the service hahaha. I really didn't want him to bring dishonor to the family or be dishonorably discharged so I told him, he is not officially sworn in yet...there is time to back out. I knew the recruiter was going to rag on him, but I warned my nephew he would. Yep my nephew chicken-out.

In the long-term, things worked out well for him, though I havent asked my nephew if he regretted not going in but I guess if he really did, he would of joined.

UPDATE: Oh yah In Conclusion, GL on wat you decide.

Last edited by loubot (2010-09-03 16:30:56)

Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6150|'straya
Nice one Fox. You'll hate it at first I guarantee it. But you'll learn to love it

At least you don't have to worry about going to Afghanistan (Damn Dutch pulling out of Oruzgan )
NeXuS
Shock it till ya know it
+375|6343|Atlanta, Georgia
88 mike
Engineer_Fox
Has a horse outside
+48|5185|Hague City Firm - Holland

VicktorVauhn wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

I cant afford a better education because I too have bills to pay, support my GF, family, buy groceries, clothes etc. I've been living on my own since my 18th and the last few months my boss has been screwing me over with the monthly paycheck because HIS business isn't running so well so I have to get payed less so he can go on holiday.. I can't work for him anymore and I don't want to. I didn't go to Uni or such thing but I do have my big license and even with that, getting a job is difficult.

I don't think I will be going back to school or Uni anyway because my GF had plans for an engagement and that has to be prosponed till I get back from my 4 and a half years or training, after that I might get married and have to search a bigger house, so I need a well payed job and I need to to have it for longer terms.

So sorry if it doesn't fit your idea of signing up for the military but I have my own reasons.
The_Sniper_NM
Official EVGA Fanboy
+94|6115|SC | USA |

VicktorVauhn wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

You've obviously never been in the service. Even though the dutch pulled out of fagistan earlier this year, that doesn't mean fox couldn't be redeployed. Ever hear about the two truck drivers early in the 2003 invasion? Yeah, they got shot at and captured.

The point of this argument is that fox accidentally requested an invitation, but he is deciding to enlist. The general public's fear of the military is getting shot at. I'm not hating on fox, but I don't doubt that went through his mind when he was deciding. That is what makes his decision admirable.

Serving your country regardless of your MOS is respectable. I'm biased, as I've been raised this way, but I have that value instilled me, which is why I will be joining.

Protecting you civis who think otherwise also has something to do with it.
VicktorVauhn
+319|6393|Southern California

Engineer_Fox wrote:

VicktorVauhn wrote:

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

I cant afford a better education because I too have bills to pay, support my GF, family, buy groceries, clothes etc. I've been living on my own since my 18th and the last few months my boss has been screwing me over with the monthly paycheck because HIS business isn't running so well so I have to get payed less so he can go on holiday.. I can't work for him anymore and I don't want to. I didn't go to Uni or such thing but I do have my big license and even with that, getting a job is difficult.

I don't think I will be going back to school or Uni anyway because my GF had plans for an engagement and that has to be prosponed till I get back from my 4 and a half years or training, after that I might get married and have to search a bigger house, so I need a well payed job and I need to to have it for longer terms.

So sorry if it doesn't fit your idea of signing up for the military but I have my own reasons.
Man I tried to make my point several times... but understand I am not criticizing you.
I have a bit better position to speak from, because I have been fucking lucky in life and have been given some pretty good opportunities. I am very grateful for this.

I am not trying to put down your position, or decisions... Just kinda pointing out a big issue I have with the popular conception of the modern soldier because I am a strong believer that while people join for a large number of reasons... Mostly it is a form of economic draft.

All I am trying to say is that you your self said you are joining as a job, to take care of your family, because at your position in life it is the best option you have for a respectable, reliable pay check.

There is nothing wrong with this. I applaud you for doing what is best to handle your responsibilities. I am simply making the point that so many people fawn over people in the service like the only reason they are their is a deep seeded need to serve their country, when in reality it is most often out of the need of a stable job.

The_Sniper_NM wrote:

You've obviously never been in the service. Even though the dutch pulled out of fagistan earlier this year, that doesn't mean fox couldn't be redeployed. Ever hear about the two truck drivers early in the 2003 invasion? Yeah, they got shot at and captured.

The point of this argument is that fox accidentally requested an invitation, but he is deciding to enlist. The general public's fear of the military is getting shot at. I'm not hating on fox, but I don't doubt that went through his mind when he was deciding. That is what makes his decision admirable.

Serving your country regardless of your MOS is respectable. I'm biased, as I've been raised this way, but I have that value instilled me, which is why I will be joining.

Protecting you civis who think otherwise also has something to do with it.
You miss my point entirely.

And I would definitely not be putting him down on MOS alone (well, I am not putting him down to begin with...)

The point is, sure he decided to enlist.... But what was his motivation?
Again, don't want to sound like I am putting the guy down, I don't know him or anything about him.
Admirable means worthy of admiration.
He himself said he is doing this because it is what is necessary for his situation, and good for him on that...

But should we all really ADMIRE someone who settles for something out of a lack of better options?

All I am saying is I have known a good few people who went into law enforcement or military...
Some did it because they had no other options
a few did it because they wanted a gun and to shoot at things
some did it to prove something to themselves
a couple did it because they felt they owed something back.

All I am saying is its a bit ridiculous to pretend all military personnel are from that last group.
For all he said it certainly was never listed a reason for the OP

Last edited by VicktorVauhn (2010-09-04 01:23:28)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard