HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois

jord wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

jord wrote:

Happiness is relative. If a kid is brought up with not much and their quality of life gradually improves they'll appreciate it more and be happier for it. If I were a millionaire you can bet any children I had wouldn't be appearing on "my super sweet 16".

Marriage argument is so so in modern times. I think marriages will decrease in future.
I guess I should fuck a bitch now, then leave her.  The kid will be raised by a 16 year old mom without a job.  But the kid will end up happy because she got married again when she was 21.  Besides, I need to remind you, there's more to consider then just the happiness of the kid, including the health, education, and successful of the kid.
That's a bit of an extreme example. I was thinking more in terms of material goods.

A kid gets everything they want up until 15, including anual holidays. Then it goes downhill.

A kid doesn't always get what they want, what little they have they appreciate. Come mid teenage years they get what they want more.

Which is happier?
In that case, let's ask two kids these questions:

Let's ask a kid who's parents have an average income if they would like their parents to have more money.

Then let's ask a kid who's parents are rich if they would like their parents to have less money?

For the point of a kid being more unhappy and more spoiled because their parents had more money, it doesn't apply because it depends on how the parents raise the kid.  I'm sure there are lots of kids who's parents are millionaires and aren't spoiled at all.  However, they will have more opportunities and a better quality of life simply because their parents can afford more things for their kids.
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.
I'm sure many kids aren't spoiled by their rich parents.

I'm also sure many more are. Not to the extent of crying because their parents didn't deliver their brand new lexus birthday present on the kids birthday, but to an extent. My cousin wasn't happy when their family went to new york for example, because she didn't get anything bought for her at tiffany's. I'd still have a smile a month on if I got to visit new york, all expenses paid.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6708|Oxferd Ohire
which is about the same as people who want to be vampires. .
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Home
Section.80
+447|6818|Seattle, Washington, USA

jord wrote:

I'm also sure many more are. Not to the extent of crying because their parents didn't deliver their brand new lexus birthday present on the kids birthday, but to an extent. My cousin wasn't happy when their family went to new york for example, because she didn't get anything bought for her at tiffany's. I'd still have a smile a month on if I got to visit new york, all expenses paid.
For sure. I live in a fairly wealthy area of my city, so a lot of my friends have pretty well-to-do parents. Not filthy rich, but they are all spoiled brats. Their parents pay for everything, one girl demanded a brand new mini-cooper to replace the one she broke the transmission on (and she got it). Another went through 3 new cars during 4 years of high school. I've heard countless complaints about their parents not buying them things that I wouldn't even dream of asking for. Maybe it was because they were all kind of on that border between middle class and rich, but I haven't met one yet that wasn't spoiled.

Also congrats and good luck fusion

Last edited by Home (2010-08-27 18:15:09)

=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6336|California
hi
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6542

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

hi
hold on, i've got this

Last edited by Toilet Sex (2010-08-27 18:19:54)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

-Sh1fty- wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

jord wrote:

Marriage got to do with anything?

Kids can be happy without having everything. Not that we know their situation and if they have family help that will let the kid have everything.
Honestly, marriage doesn't have much to do with it, but if a couple hasn't even been married yet, it usually means they aren't even committed to each other yet let alone a kid.

Anyway, of course the kid can still be happy.  But is he the happiest that he could've been?  Would the kid be happier if they waited 5 years and settled into a family life, or would the kid be happier if the parents rushed into everything because they wanted a kid?  That's called being selfish, and it makes me question what type of decisions they'll make for the kid later in it's life.
I can agree with this.

I just think they need to start taking this seriously. A job at Star Bucks won't feed the child. What they need to do first is get married, get a better job and finally a better apartment or house. This requires a lot of time.

I have no experience with relationships though.
obviously not... you're giving him the advice of having an expensive-ass wedding and buying a new houes, and then say that a starbucks job "is not enough"? leave the guy alone... im sure they have all the family support and financial backing that they need. and you need to start somewhere. you can't walk up to a lawyer's firm in London city and request a £70k/year job because "i hve a baby on the way and need the money". a job at starbucks is better than not having a job at all and relying on benefits.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone

Uzique wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

HaiBai wrote:

Honestly, marriage doesn't have much to do with it, but if a couple hasn't even been married yet, it usually means they aren't even committed to each other yet let alone a kid.

Anyway, of course the kid can still be happy.  But is he the happiest that he could've been?  Would the kid be happier if they waited 5 years and settled into a family life, or would the kid be happier if the parents rushed into everything because they wanted a kid?  That's called being selfish, and it makes me question what type of decisions they'll make for the kid later in it's life.
I can agree with this.

I just think they need to start taking this seriously. A job at Star Bucks won't feed the child. What they need to do first is get married, get a better job and finally a better apartment or house. This requires a lot of time.

I have no experience with relationships though.
obviously not... you're giving him the advice of having an expensive-ass wedding and buying a new houes, and then say that a starbucks job "is not enough"? leave the guy alone... im sure they have all the family support and financial backing that they need. and you need to start somewhere. you can't walk up to a lawyer's firm in London city and request a £70k/year job because "i hve a baby on the way and need the money". a job at starbucks is better than not having a job at all and relying on benefits.
There's nothing there about an 'expensive-ass wedding'. In fact nothing at all about a wedding at all.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441
"what they need to do first is get married".

im addressing shifty's post, not the OP. read up a few lines before you comment.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
I don't like how Haibai speaks for the happiness of others. There's always something wrong about people like that
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5208|Cleveland, Ohio

Uzique wrote:

im addressing shifty's post, not the OP. read up a few lines before you comment.
shitty's post innit
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6652|Disaster Free Zone

Uzique wrote:

Marriage =/= wedding.
Marriage = a trip tot he local court to fill in some forms and pay a registration fee of like $50.
Wedding = a big waste of money to celebrate your stupidity. And free booze.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5454|Bolingbrook, Illinois

Mekstizzle wrote:

I don't like how Haibai speaks for the happiness of others. There's always something wrong about people like that
I'm not speaking for the happiness of others, I'm saying that on average, a kid is happier if his parents are rich than if his parents are poor.

Last edited by HaiBai (2010-08-28 12:18:34)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6441

DrunkFace wrote:

Uzique wrote:

Marriage =/= wedding.
Marriage = a trip tot he local court to fill in some forms and pay a registration fee of like $50.
Wedding = a big waste of money to celebrate your stupidity. And free booze.
not sure you understand that in the uk, they're pretty much synonymous. even the most low-key registry office arrangements end up with a reception do and a mega blow-out party afterwards. that's an expensive afternoon to host when it's all on your dolla. doubly so when you're 20 years old and don't have full-time employment. marriage is an expensive affair over here.
White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6522|Scotland
Well some bad news today guys. Baby didn't make it, girlfriend was cleaning and had to be rushed to hospital.

Don't really know what else to say really, but i'm not going to be on here for a while I think. Cheers for all your posts etc.
Toilet Sex
one love, one pig
+1,775|6542

oh wow, don't really know what to say besides sorry, but that isn't going to be any consolation. i sincerely wish you both the best.

Last edited by Toilet Sex (2010-08-28 20:18:59)

AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

You've got all of our support if you need it mate.

Stay strong.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6508|Long Island, New York

White-Fusion wrote:

Well some bad news today guys. Baby didn't make it, girlfriend was cleaning and had to be rushed to hospital.

Don't really know what else to say really, but i'm not going to be on here for a while I think. Cheers for all your posts etc.
Shit dude. That's awful. Really sorry to hear.

Best of luck with whatever your future brings.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6661|Devon, England
Fuck... Wow, that really sucks to hear
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6703|St. Andrews / Oslo

Awful news mate, sorry to hear that

Last edited by Jenspm (2010-08-29 03:22:53)

https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6598|UK
Damn, that must really fucking suck.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6424|The Twilight Zone
sorry to hear that bud
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
jsnipy
+3,276|6493|...

loubot
O' HAL naw!
+470|6549|Columbus, OH
such is life, sorry for your lost and any disparaging remarks the knuckleheads said in this thread
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6243
My condolences. That is really fucking unlucky.
I'm sure you'll succeed the next time. stay strong.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard