rdx-fx
+955|6580

SenorToenails wrote:

Food for thought--on the Top 500 list of the highest performing supercomputers in the world, there isn't a single NSA entry...I find that kind of interesting!
The NSAs electricity bill for their main campus alone is $22 million/year, as of a few years ago.
I don't think that kind of bill is because of all the coffee makers.
And I don't think they're real big on advertising their computational capabilities for public ego.

So, you're probably onto something.
They probably have the capacity, but aren't advertising it.

https://www.nsa.gov/about/_images/pg_hi_res/neversleeps_071310.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6459
my friend works on the IT maintenance team (standard office-type  IT job) at this place:

https://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/6/24/1277393821162/GCHQ-in-Cheltenham-006.jpg

and he had to sign all sorts of Her Majesty's privacy agreement... MI5/MI6 type stuff... family had to, as well.

and that's just for doing basic maintenance and troubleshooting with dumb staff that get non-responsive Word documents, etc....
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6557|Mountains of NC

OxenBreeder wrote:

Iirc, this is my first D&ST reply, so please be gentle?

I believe as American's, we have a LOT to fear from our Gov't, no doubt about it.

But if you're that paranoid, take a peek under your car from time to time, if you "see" said GPS device, simply remove it. Toss it in the fucking lake/take a sledge hammer to it for all I care... it's not like it couldn't be removed from your car, damn!

All these fuckers are gonna catch me doing, is, my sorry ass going from home, to work. From work, to home....where's the thrill in that?

Has anyone ever stopped to think about how many people would have to be hired to analyze all this "data" that our Gov't supposedly collects on us?

500, or 5,000 people hired to "spy" on us?

Hell, lets say 5,000 are hired, just to read the text messages we Americans send daily. There's no way 5,000 people could handle the text data transmitted by teens alone, on a daily basis in America, let alone spy on where I'm going/where I've been..

Track my cell phone, track my car movements, track my online activities, the list can go on and on.. But it would take MANY millions of people just to analyze the "data" of the American people alone, on a daily basis.

"The only thing we have to fear, is fear itself!!"

Paranoia will destroy ya!
1st off ..... imaigine all the new jobs this could create .... stimules package at work

2nd ..... they filter through looking for key words ....... bomb, president, muder death kill, roses, lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6760|PNW

Uzique wrote:

my friend works on the IT maintenance team (standard office-type  IT job) at this place:

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Gua … am-006.jpg

and he had to sign all sorts of Her Majesty's privacy agreement... MI5/MI6 type stuff... family had to, as well.

and that's just for doing basic maintenance and troubleshooting with dumb staff that get non-responsive Word documents, etc....
That's pretty run of the mill for any government job that may bring you into contact or even near proximity with sensitive stuff.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6442|The Twilight Zone
Who will track the government?

I mean who will get tracked and who will not?

Will policemen or politicians get tracked too?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6554|Area 51

SenorToenails wrote:

RDMC wrote:

And this is just one thing that I do not understand. How is your freedom compromised? You can still go anywhere you like, do anything you want except now it is stored somewhere on some hard drive.

Might just be me, but I simply do not see how my freedom is 'given away' because the government knows I went up and down Amsterdam today.

Must be some sort of age difference. Or maybe the mentality in the US is different then in the Netherlands, I don't know.
Ah, but there is a difference.  You elected to have that card so the government knows where you are going.  The benefit is...you don't have to use it, do you?  If the government secretly GPS's your car, that is different because you don't know about it and they didn't need a warrant to do so.  And people who accept this as protection from criminals are giving up their freedom.  That should be obvious.

And I'm railing against your chip-cards for transportation.  I use EZPass in NY here, which automates toll paying for me, so when I use it, I know my movements are being tracked.  If I don't want to use it, I can wait and pay tolls manually like lots of other people do.  It's a system I elect to be a part of, much like the chip-card (which you said has an anonymous variant), right?
Well yes, but I have a personal chip card. However not entirely by choice. My use of public transit is free because I am a student. Therefore I got a personal public transport card on which during weekdays I can travel anywhere I like within the Netherlands without having to pay a single dime. Now I could decline this transport card, but that would mean I'd get the value of that card €80 euros per month but having to go up and down Amsterdam 20 times per month easily costs more than the €80 I'd get for not taking the personal chip card.

So in my case I do not really have a choice besides using a chip card that can be tracked, however I am not bothered by the fact that is being tracked.
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6442|The Twilight Zone
I get a chip and am tracked several times per year. I run marathons.
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
rdx-fx
+955|6580
Get a security clearance of a certain level, and you're not allowed to travel to certain countries for a good number of years, if ever.

Not even a quick hop over to N. Ireland for a pint with Father Ted.  Verboten.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5248|foggy bottom
had to cancel my trip to venezuela
Tu Stultus Es
Karbin
+42|6283

RDMC wrote:

Might just be me, but I simply do not see how my freedom is 'given away' because the government knows I went up and down Amsterdam today.

Must be some sort of age difference. Or maybe the mentality in the US is different then in the Netherlands, I don't know.
The difference is, that you trust your government NOT to use the information to your detriment.
Most in the U.S. DO NOT trust their government and believe ANY information collected WILL be used against them in some way.
It's an old line, but in the U.S. it is broken.

"People should not be afraid of their government,
Governments should be afraid of their people".
rdx-fx
+955|6580
For a good time, do not call 00873-682-505-331. 
One of Osama bin Laden's old phone numbers. 
Better than zero chance of tripping a NSA monitoring flag if you call that number.

Ask the guy that used to own 011-967-1-200-578.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Not really.  Both those numbers have been dead for 9 years or so.  One literally, while making a call from said number
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6119|North Tonawanda, NY

RDMC wrote:

Well yes, but I have a personal chip card. However not entirely by choice. My use of public transit is free because I am a student. Therefore I got a personal public transport card on which during weekdays I can travel anywhere I like within the Netherlands without having to pay a single dime. Now I could decline this transport card, but that would mean I'd get the value of that card €80 euros per month but having to go up and down Amsterdam 20 times per month easily costs more than the €80 I'd get for not taking the personal chip card.

So in my case I do not really have a choice besides using a chip card that can be tracked, however I am not bothered by the fact that is being tracked.
But you do have a choice.  You just don't want to pay for the anonymity.  That's fine, since you aren't required to use that card when travelling, right?  Besides, this isn't quite the same situation as the OP, so it's kind of a nit-pick.  If the government in your country decided to lojack your personal transport without your knowledge, then I'm sure feel some sort of outrage.  At least, I hope you would...
ghettoperson
+1,943|6638

rdx-fx wrote:

For a good time, do not call 00873-682-505-331. 
One of Osama bin Laden's old phone numbers. 
Better than zero chance of tripping a NSA monitoring flag if you call that number.

Ask the guy that used to own 011-967-1-200-578.

Spoiler (highlight to read):
Not really.  Both those numbers have been dead for 9 years or so.  One literally, while making a call from said number
Where did you get those numbers from out of interest? BF2s is one of the top sites that lists them.
mafia996630
© 2009 Jeff Minard
+319|6752|d
http://gizmodo.com/5622807/how-to-stop- … r-location

Related.

Last edited by mafia996630 (2010-08-27 02:11:25)

Mitch
16 more years
+877|6514|South Florida

OxenBreeder wrote:

I believe as American's, we have a LOT to fear from our Gov't, no doubt about it.

But if you're that paranoid, take a peek under your car from time to time, if you "see" said GPS device, simply remove it. Toss it in the fucking lake/take a sledge hammer to it for all I care... it's not like it couldn't be removed from your car, damn!

All these fuckers are gonna catch me doing, is, my sorry ass going from home, to work. From work, to home....where's the thrill in that?

Has anyone ever stopped to think about how many people would have to be hired to analyze all this "data" that our Gov't supposedly collects on us?

Hell, lets say 5,000 are hired, just to read the text messages we Americans send daily. There's no way 5,000 people could handle the text data transmitted by teens alone, on a daily basis in America, let alone spy on where I'm going/where I've been..

Track my cell phone, track my car movements, track my online activities, the list can go on and on.. But it would take MANY millions of people just to analyze the "data" of the American people alone, on a daily basis.

I recognize your ideas, however.

The fact that the government can now track you with GPS is just another step towards video cameras in your house and an RFID chip in your arm (or your "enhanced driver license")

Im a huge privacy advocate. Whether your doing something illegal or not, you shouldn't be monitored.

Sure, it sounds crazy, but there exists unspoken rules of fairness when it comes to commiting crimes and being caught. If there weren't, then why not just install a video camera in everyones house that pics up on keywords or actions and alerts someone to monitor you.

FFS, its not all that far fetched. They do it in the euroshit countries.

The game of cat and mouse between law enforcement and criminals is just that, its a game. Think of it like poker. You cant install a video camera on your opponents forehead and see his hand everytime.

I live a decently legal life, but ill be damned if someones going to track me "just incase i decide to do something illegal"

Do you understand what im saying?
15 more years! 15 more years!
jord
+2,382|6667|The North, beyond the wall.

Mitch wrote:

OxenBreeder wrote:

The fact that the government can now track you with GPS is just another step towards video cameras in your house and an RFID chip in your arm (or your "enhanced driver license")

Im a huge privacy advocate. Whether your doing something illegal or not, you shouldn't be monitored.

Sure, it sounds crazy, but there exists unspoken rules of fairness when it comes to commiting crimes and being caught. If there weren't, then why not just install a video camera in everyones house that pics up on keywords or actions and alerts someone to monitor you.

The game of cat and mouse between law enforcement and criminals is just that, its a game. Think of it like poker. You cant install a video camera on your opponents forehead and see his hand everytime.

I live a decently legal life, but ill be damned if someones going to track me "just incase i decide to do something illegal"

Other than the bone, misguided europe comment I agree.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5574

You can track everyone as much as you want it still won't stop someone from snapping and killing a bunch of people and it won't stop a sleeper cell. meh.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6514|South Florida

jord wrote:

Mitch wrote:

OxenBreeder wrote:

Other than the bone, misguided europe comment I agree.
http://www.time.com/time/business/artic … 41,00.html
15 more years! 15 more years!
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6478|Gogledd Cymru

Where in that article do they say that the UK government installs and monitors video cameras from peoples houses?
jord
+2,382|6667|The North, beyond the wall.
Interesting.

So if I stated everything the uk does in monitoring people the us does would you debate that?

Its not the wildest conspiracy theory to be made here that intelligence agencies operate outside law.
OxenBreeder
+46|5754|KTRI

Mitch wrote:

OxenBreeder wrote:

I believe as American's, we have a LOT to fear from our Govt, no doubt about it.

I totally understand what you're saying. I read 1984, ironically in 1984, my junior year in high school.

So I know it's entirely possible for the Govt to place a GPS unit on my car, or a video camera in my home. I never meant to imply that it's not possible.

Do I trust our Govt, HELL NO! Never have, never will. My sig should speak a little about my opinions on politicians/govt. 

I'm not going to lay awake at night, wondering if a Govt agent slipped a GPS under my car while I slept though.

Karbin wrote:

"People should not be afraid of their government,
Governments should be afraid of their people".
I agree 100% with that quote.

Anyway, just my .02
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6508|Πάϊ

Uzique wrote:

oug wrote:

read it
oh jesus christ...

... before or after ive finished the Mr. Men series?
Sadly Mr Arrogant (see watta did thar) not all are aware of such basic principles...

but of course you're well aware that I wasn't talking to you... I take it this is an attempt to show the world how well read you are. Something you accused Galt of doing not long ago...

That feeling of superiority will hopefully fade with age, and then you'll be able to acknowledge the brilliance of the Mr. Men series...
ƒ³
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6399|'Murka

Surgeons wrote:

The illuminati bit I think...
And the basement of the Alamo.

And the government doing it.

Other than that, totally srs.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6399|'Murka

Uzique wrote:

FEOS wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

That's never been abused...  just ask FEOS... 
I don't believe I've ever said any such thing. That law, just like any other law, is prone to abuse. Because it is enacted by man and man is not perfect.

The key is in the enforcement of the mechanisms to counter such abuses, like those that already exist in Titles 18 and 50 of US Code for the PATRIOT Act. That is the part that we keep arguing about. You seem to think that the PATRIOT Act somehow throws those out the window...it does not.
there's a difference between some laws being misinterpreted and abused by the imperfections of man/human legal instrumentation

AND

purposefully designing a law with the aim of reducing liberties, freedoms and basic rights.

the neocons drafted up the patriot act hastily during a time of national emergency in order to effect the latter, not the former...
Incorrect. The same constraints to protect US persons' rights are in place as were in place before the PATRIOT Act was passed. Nothing has changed. I have had to be certified in intelligence oversight every year for more than 9 years--the PATRIOT Act changed nothing with regard to how US law deals with those who mishandle/abuse/violate the rights of US persons WRT intelligence gathering.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
FEOS
+1,182|6399|'Murka

jord wrote:

Interesting.

So if I stated everything the uk does in monitoring people the us does would you debate that?

Its not the wildest conspiracy theory to be made here that intelligence agencies operate outside law.
The standards for other countries are different than in the US with regards to eavesdropping on one's own citizens...the bar is lower, IIRC. We have much more hoops to jump through over here and interagency dealings to deal with in order to make that happen (DoD to DoJ, for instance) than in the UK, I believe. It's been a while since I've worked with the Brits, so I don't remember exactly, but I do remember that they were amazed at how "difficult" it was to get a domestic wiretap, even WITH the PATRIOT Act in place.
― Albert Einstein

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard