henno13
A generally unremarkable member
+230|6348|Belfast
What really pisses me off is that it is just over a month before release and they haven't even confirmed if it is coming out for consoles or not
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6622|Little Bentcock

henno13 wrote:

What really pisses me off is that it is just over a month before release and they haven't even confirmed if it is coming out for consoles or not
Better not.
henno13
+230|6348|Belfast

Adams_BJ wrote:

henno13 wrote:

Better not.
Whats wrong with consoles?
Adams_BJ

henno13 wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

henno13 wrote:

Better not.
Everything. Some games just aren't meant for consoles. Others are.
bogo24dk
+26|6506
Look i like consoles. And i have xbox and ps3 but Arma 2 is not a console game. One of the best things about arma is the modding. And on console it can't be done.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Adams_BJ wrote:

henno13 wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

Better not.
Its a first person shooter, just like any other first person shooter albeit more realistified. FPS' work well on consoles if you actually know how to play them without a mouse and keyboard.

henno13 wrote:

It better be, because I'm going to be seriously pissed, especially after OFP2 was set back.

Good chance it will be though, 4:16 in this vid. Not many games come out solely for PC these days.

Last edited by M.O.A.B (2009-05-10 07:53:16)

henno13
+230|6348|Belfast

M.O.A.B wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

henno13 wrote:

Its a first person shooter, just like any other first person shooter albeit more realistified. FPS' work well on consoles if you actually know how to play them without a mouse and keyboard.
this
I am more used to playing a fps on a controller than a keyboard and mouse
OFP DR is said to work well with consoles, why cant ArmA?
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

henno13 wrote:

M.O.A.B wrote:

Adams_BJ wrote:

this
I am more used to playing a fps on a controller than a keyboard and mouse
OFP DR is said to work well with consoles, why cant ArmA?
To an extent I actually find it easier, the controls are more compact and its easier to move - as well as react - using the joysticks. I'm also looking forward (in OFP2 at the least) to be able to issue all the commands as well as all other controls without having to consult the entire keyboard .
henno13
+230|6348|Belfast
wow, in that video he basically confirmed that it is coming to consoles.

Last edited by henno13 (2009-05-10 08:04:54)

Lai
+186|6151
From what I've seen: Arma2 >>> OFP2:DR. It appears much more credible and they didn't publish a pre rendered trailer that looked 10 times better than the eventual game. Also, I find the setting more appealing and original, I have more confidence in Arma2 sticking to semi realism and not going mainstream, and it is being made by the actual people that made OFP1.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

Lai wrote:

From what I've seen: Arma2 >>> OFP2:DR. It appears much more credible and they didn't publish a pre rendered trailer that looked 10 times better than the eventual game. Also, I find the setting more appealing and original, I have more confidence in Arma2 sticking to semi realism and not going mainstream, and it is being made by the actual people that made OFP1.
I dunno, I view both games on similar levels really. OFP2 is exploring a more recent coupling of armies (China) whereas ArmA II has stuck to the more conventional former-Soviet state scenario.

In terms of ease of gameplay I'm slightly more inclined toward OFP2 at this point, particularly after ArmA's severe lacking in story, the way missions worked and the AI. OFP was better than ArmA in those aspects and I couldn't help wondering that when Bohemia split from codemasters, that element was lost when ArmA was developed. I'll have to wait and see, but I wish they would just confirm the console version already, hell they've already pretty much said they need to produce a console version if they want to make a good sell of the game. Just better not be like six months after the PC version comes out.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

Bit of a revive, but so far ARMA II is stinking for me. Could they have made it any more of a pain in the ass to adjust controls than they did?

There's only one setup, and that's the WSAD configuration, which I haven't used since Wolfenstein 3D. There's no clear all function, you have to go into a fucking submenu for each function, play hide & seek with duplicate keys, try to guess which prone is the one you want to use. I just want to play the game without using the labyrinthine left side of my keyboard (right keys, arrows and numberpad all the way), but it's like painting in a stained glass image of a giant cock, complete with the short & curlies.

I haven't even gotten to all the keypress combo commands, yet.

I mean, in all their beta testing, did not a single one of their testers say "hey, maybe we should give users multiple presets to choose from, you know, for variety." And if it's there and I didn't see it, then fuck 'em for hiding it.
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6223|Escea

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Bit of a revive, but so far ARMA II is stinking for me. Could they have made it any more of a pain in the ass to adjust controls than they did?

There's only one setup, and that's the WSAD configuration, which I haven't used since Wolfenstein 3D. There's no clear all function, you have to go into a fucking submenu for each function, play hide & seek with duplicate keys, try to guess which prone is the one you want to use. I just want to play the game without using the labyrinthine left side of my keyboard (right keys, arrows and numberpad all the way), but it's like painting in a stained glass image of a giant cock, complete with the short & curlies.
There's a Flashpoint sequel coming out next year, which sounds pretty good based upon early reports. A bit skeptical, but I'm still interested in seeing how it turns out.
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6739|Comber, Northern Ireland

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

I haven't even gotten to all the keypress combo commands, yet.

I mean, in all their beta testing, did not a single one of their testers say "hey, maybe we should give users multiple presets to choose from, you know, for variety." And if it's there and I didn't see it, then fuck 'em for hiding it.
honestly very very few people don't use the WASD configuration, can you not just move around this?
Airwolf
Latter Alcoholic
+287|6720|Scotland
Just downloaded the Operation Arrowhead, in the steam sale only £9.99.

This game is absolutely insane. You actually have to work together, and the maps are like BF2 * 100.

Cannot recommend enough.
TheTrueQuaid
What was I doing mars?
+11|5898|Assachusetts
Has anyone played the ARMA PMC DLC? It looks like an interesting single player campaign.

The Suburban with the mini-gun are awesome.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

david363 wrote:

honestly very very few people don't use the WASD configuration, can you not just move around this?
A bit of a late reply, but no. I'm never going to step off the soap box when it comes to control configuration. I'm not going to move around it; I'm just not going to play it. If I'd rather be driving nails into my skull than working through an unfriendly configuration menu, then there's no reason for me to continue, particularly when there's so many other games I can be getting to.

I'm left-handed, so my mouse is on the left side of the keyboard. For natural spacing, I use the arrow keys for movement, and there's very little controls left once I'm done reconfiguring that make my hand stray to the left side of the keyboard. There's absolutely no reason configuring your controls on the fucking PC platform should be a tear-your-brain-out-through-your-ear-and-curb-stomp-it headache.

We should be able to use 'forbidden' keys like ', ;, backspace and \ that are otherwise enabled most PC games. We should be able to clear all keys with one in-menu batch command if we don't like the default configuration.

Some developers get it right, and package a game with two default settings, one geared for the new standard (WSAD) and one geared for the 'classic' (up,down,left,right). If 'Thief' had it, why couldn't 'ArmA 2' have?
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6684|United States of America

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

david363 wrote:

A bit of a late reply, but no. I'm never going to step off the soap box when it comes to control configuration. I'm not going to move around it; I'm just not going to play it. If I'd rather be driving nails into my skull than working through an unfriendly configuration menu, then there's no reason for me to continue, particularly when there's so many other games I can be getting to.

I'm left-handed, so my mouse is on the left side of the keyboard. For natural spacing, I use the arrow keys for movement, and there's very little controls left once I'm done reconfiguring that make my hand stray to the left side of the keyboard. There's absolutely no reason configuring your controls on the fucking PC platform should be a tear-your-brain-out-through-your-ear-and-curb-stomp-it headache.

We should be able to use 'forbidden' keys like ', ;, backspace and \ that are otherwise enabled most PC games. We should be able to clear all keys with one in-menu batch command if we don't like the default configuration.

Some developers get it right, and package a game with two default settings, one geared for the new standard (WSAD) and one geared for the 'classic' (up,down,left,right). If 'Thief' had it, why couldn't 'ArmA 2' have?
I don't know why I clicked on this, but how the hell does it work with your mouse on the left side? Is left-click still the primary button? I'm left-handed too and just don't see how that would work.
david363
Crotch fires and you: the untold story
+314|6739|Comber, Northern Ireland
does anyone here still play this? I'm buying it tomorrow with all the expansions...got a new pc during the week
Adams_BJ

david363 wrote:

does anyone here still play this? I'm buying it tomorrow with all the expansions...got a new pc during the week
I havent had the net for a while so I still play with the SP every now and again
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

DesertFox- wrote:

I don't know why I clicked on this, but how the hell does it work with your mouse on the left side? Is left-click still the primary button? I'm left-handed too and just don't see how that would work.
Another late reply, but I'm happy to explain. My left pointer finger controls all three top mouse buttons because it's still the most durable non-thumb digit on that hand. My right hand mostly hovers over the arrow keys, and surrounding those are some of the most finger-worn clusters of keys on my old keyboard

Here's how the configuration usually goes for a FPS I play.

a) left mouse - fire; right mose - altfire/zoom; middle mouse - quickswap or fire mode select; side buttons - redundant commands that I use a lot (flares, smoke, parachute)

b) arrow keys - forward/reverse, strafe left/right

c) home, end, del, page up, page down, insert - combination of camera controls, alternate attacks, vision-type toggles and third-axis movement

d) numberpad - voting, voice toggle, comm-roses

e) backspace - drop item/grenade; \ - reload; / - crouch; . - prone; ' - use; ; - enter vehicle; ][ - item/weapon select (sometimes redundant double for mwheelup/down

f) t, y, u - chat, teamchat, squadchat; i, o, p, h, j, k, l, n, m - various

g) tab - map; q, w, e, r, a, s, d, f, z, x, c, v - bound console commands (where applicable)

h) numberbar - hard weapon select

i) Microsoft Sidewinder Force Feedback 2; best joystick I ever had, and the only thing I use for analog-enabled flying
I've displayed this in-person to college buddies, and it's mystified everyone but one other lefty, who only came into gaming when WSAD took over as FPS norm. I have no desire to default to WSAD because the W offset and the huge empty space to the left drives me mad. I can have a keyboard on my lap, but not a keyboard and a 'quickpad.'

Adams_BJ wrote:

david363 wrote:

I havent had the net for a while so I still play with the SP every now and again
I still haven't bothered going through the controls configuration. The default setting is completely backwards from what I'm used to, and I haven't played it enough to know which commands I'm going to use most often, and by extension where to map them.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
do you use a mechnical keyboard then, unnamed? because typically only the keys around the WASD area have anti-ghosting (a must have for gaming) functionality via USB.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

I actually wouldn't mind one, but I encounter ghosting so rarely that it's hardly issue enough to justify replacing my well-used board. In fact, the only time I really encounter problems is when trying to use the arrow keys while holding down alt. I've simply worked around it by moving the melee key from my customary alt to ctrl or del.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6470
... hassle.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6771|PNW

One would think, but I only notice it once in perhaps every 500 hours of gaming. Meanwhile, I've been using a ~$10 keyboard for years using a control layout I'm comfortable with (I hate it when game disallow binding controls to keys I regularly use). I've pretty much phased out alt for any but rare use.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard