DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada
.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone
They look very accurate, GJ. Will you render them as well?
https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
y always guns!!!? yyyyyyyyyyyy
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot

.Sup wrote:

You mean texture? They are rendered.

I might try texturing...I've never really learned how to though.

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

Well they're great for box modelling..

I'm working on a car right now though.

Last edited by DefCon-17 (2010-08-16 13:57:15)

.Sup
be nice
+2,646|6423|The Twilight Zone

DefCon-17 wrote:

.Sup wrote:

You mean texture? They are rendered.

I might try texturing...I've never really learned how to though.

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

Well they're great for box modelling..

I'm working on a car right now though.
I guess you're right, its been a decade since I did 3D rendering at school. I'm mixing up phrases

Last edited by .Sup (2010-08-16 13:59:05)

https://www.shrani.si/f/3H/7h/45GTw71U/untitled-1.png
Catbox
forgiveness
+505|6686
Those models are really great... The lighting is a little bright and washes out some of the detail on the guns.
You can use the textures from bf2 to texture your gun... they are in the .dds format and can be opened in Pshop with
a free plugin from nvidia
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/phot … ugins.html
and you can install the free .dds viewer so you can see the textures in thumbnail
http://developer.nvidia.com/object/dds_ … iewer.html
You can also make bump maps with the photoshop plugin to give low poly models more detail if you are going to
use the guns for a game.
Love is the answer
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
Yeah I don't really like how bright they turn out to be...I'll have to mess around in the settings to see if I can lower it a bit.
Phrozenbot
+632|6586|do not disturb

Those are some excellent models. What do you plan to do with these?
rdx-fx
+955|6561
Very nice attention to detail there.

AutoDesk products still have issues with rendering proper springs?

Can recognize most of that rifle.
Looks like a Remington 700 or Surgeons action, short action + Schmidt und Bender scope + Harris bipod + A4 style stock (not the McMillan A-4, but similar)

Only detail critiques (on the first model shown):
  • S&B scope needs more of those rounded/oval bits on the radial array near the back of the scope (magnification adjustment)
  • S&B scope needs knurling (radial arrays) on objective adjustment, elevation turret, and windage turret
  • Harris bipod, springs are not rendered (again, probably still an issue with AutoDesk products)
  • The off-hand 'notch' on the stock is about a 1" diameter rounded surface, not a sharp ledge, no? (might be a different stock)
  • Bore of the barrel looks to be .50" diameter, on a short action more suited to 7.62x51.
  • No spiral rifling apparent in the bore (again, probably a limitation of Maya, being an AutoDesk product allergic to 3D spirals)
  • Barrel looks to be straight cylindrical diameter throughout (1.00" ?), when most have a taper to them (Sample contours)
  • a few other spots where a helical construct is missing, but I've nitpicked that already.
  • Bottom metal or detachable magazine structure is missing, or just can't see any of it from the given views.

Again, very good attention to detail.
I've worked with CAD software for 18 years (firearms for slightly longer). That level of detail isn't trivial for a self-education project.
There are some good CAD files here, and here, under "Blueprints", and here, for the "picatinny rail" MIL-STD-1913 pdf, and Sample barrel contours.
If you can find it, Stuart Otteson's The Bolt Action Rifle, vol. I has some relevant drawings and dimensions for bolt action rifles as well.
The old US Army Materiel Command "AMCP 706-" series has great detail design information as well, such as AMCP 706-260, Engineering Design Handbook, Guns Series, Automatic Weapons at Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC.mil is full of great documents too)
Phrozenbot
+632|6586|do not disturb

GIMP also has a .dds plugin. I used it once for making compressed particle textures for Doom 3. I prefer .TGA.

Is AutoDesk free? I attempted to download it but was unable to from their site.

btw that is a lot of resources there RDX lol.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

Phrozenbot wrote:

Is AutoDesk free?
Autodesk is the company name, they make AutoCad - they've since acquired the properties of other, different companies that do rendering software.
jord
+2,382|6648|The North, beyond the wall.
I did a bit of CAD when my uncle worked for a bae systems sub contractor. Can't remember what system but it began with "s" I'm sure.

Made a cup, was very enjoyable.
Phrozenbot
+632|6586|do not disturb

burnzz wrote:

Phrozenbot wrote:

Is AutoDesk free?
Autodesk is the company name, they make AutoCad - they've since acquired the properties of other, different companies that do rendering software.
You're right, and I remember now. It was 3dsmax.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot

rdx-fx wrote:

Very nice attention to detail there.

AutoDesk products still have issues with rendering proper springs?

Can recognize most of that rifle.
Looks like a Remington 700 or Surgeons action, short action + Schmidt und Bender scope + Harris bipod + A4 style stock (not the McMillan A-4, but similar)

Only detail critiques (on the first model shown):
  • S&B scope needs more of those rounded/oval bits on the radial array near the back of the scope (magnification adjustment)
  • S&B scope needs knurling (radial arrays) on objective adjustment, elevation turret, and windage turret
  • Harris bipod, springs are not rendered (again, probably still an issue with AutoDesk products)
  • The off-hand 'notch' on the stock is about a 1" diameter rounded surface, not a sharp ledge, no? (might be a different stock)
  • Bore of the barrel looks to be .50" diameter, on a short action more suited to 7.62x51.
  • No spiral rifling apparent in the bore (again, probably a limitation of Maya, being an AutoDesk product allergic to 3D spirals)
  • Barrel looks to be straight cylindrical diameter throughout (1.00" ?), when most have a taper to them (Sample contours)
  • a few other spots where a helical construct is missing, but I've nitpicked that already.
  • Bottom metal or detachable magazine structure is missing, or just can't see any of it from the given views.

Again, very good attention to detail.
I've worked with CAD software for 18 years (firearms for slightly longer). That level of detail isn't trivial for a self-education project.
There are some good CAD files here, and here, under "Blueprints", and here, for the "picatinny rail" MIL-STD-1913 pdf, and Sample barrel contours.
If you can find it, Stuart Otteson's The Bolt Action Rifle, vol. I has some relevant drawings and dimensions for bolt action rifles as well.
The old US Army Materiel Command "AMCP 706-" series has great detail design information as well, such as AMCP 706-260, Engineering Design Handbook, Guns Series, Automatic Weapons at Defense Technical Information Center (DTIC.mil is full of great documents too)
Dayum. Thanks for the feedback.

This is the rifle:
http://www.pixagogo.com/6697224193

I'll thoroughly go through your post once I find some time. I just started university (Digital Animation...branching out to 3d modeling), so my time is limited.
(But the course is so awesome)
rdx-fx
+955|6561

jord wrote:

I did a bit of CAD when my uncle worked for a bae systems sub contractor. Can't remember what system but it began with "s" I'm sure.

Made a cup, was very enjoyable.
Probably SolidWorks, made by Dassault Systems (France).  Wouldn't surprise me if BAE had a stake in that company.

AutoDesk makes AutoCAD, 3DSMax, Maya, Inventor, and a bunch of others. 
AutoCAD is, historically, designed primarily for Architectural - with everything else grafted on.

SolidWorks and Pro/Engineer are primarily designed for mechanical engineering.
Both do a better job of handling complex curvature and helical shapes (springs, threading), than any AutoDesk product probably ever will.
rdx-fx
+955|6561

DefCon-17 wrote:

Dayum. Thanks for the feedback.

This is the rifle:
http://www.pixagogo.com/6697224193

I'll thoroughly go through your post once I find some time. I just started university (Digital Animation...branching out to 3d modeling), so my time is limited.
(But the course is so awesome)
I figured you were probably time limited. 
Also figured a few good key references would save you some time too.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

rdx-fx wrote:

AutoCAD is, historically, designed primarily for Architectural - with everything else grafted on.
they've done a helluva job grafting, you should see what a roadway designer can do with autocad 2010.
we also use bentley's microstation, and esri's arcGIS. today's CAD platform's are 3D, and not like Tron - the real deal.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard