Karbin
+42|6291

Harmor wrote:

So the question unanswered for me is the act of private citizen selling their home "within its jurisdiction" of HUD?
Look up "The Fair Housing Act" administered by HUD
In part:
In the Sale and Rental of Housing: No one may take any of the following actions based on race, color, national origin, religion, sex, familial status or handicap:
Refuse to rent or sell housing
Refuse to negotiate for housing
Make housing unavailable
Deny a dwelling
Set different terms, conditions or privileges for sale or rental of a dwelling
Provide different housing services or facilities
Falsely deny that housing is available for inspection, sale or rental
For profit, persuade owners to sell or rent (blockbusting) or
Deny anyone access to or membership in a facility or service (such as a multiple listing service) related to the sale or rental of housing.

That cover it for you?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6545|San Diego, CA, USA
"In the Sale and Rental of Housing..."

So any house including a private citizen's?  Or does this apply to properties administered by HUD only like Public Housing?
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5991|Truthistan
Wall of text coming....

14th Amendment takes care of it... at least until all the racists push through a repeal of the 14th Amendment

Anyway, its against the law to discriminate when selling property. the purpose is to ensure that people are not segregated out of the market. Sorry if that goes against your idealized world where a person can do anything they want with their property, that idea has never existed in reality. as a home owner you only get certain rights and the govt always holds the underlying title to your land. So that means that the govt gets to regulate and tax your land, regulate its use and development and regulate how you purchase and sell your land. You may "own" it but you don't get to do whatever you want, though its a common misconception and an emotional rallying cry of the misinformed.

Racism is evil and stupid and people who support racism are likewise racist, evil and stupid.

End... wall of text.
PS typical MacBeth drivel.

Thank God we have a written constitution providing us with a principled democracy to keep the retards in check.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
"...the govt always holds the underlying title to your land"

So with that you're saying there's no such thing as private property?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5354|London, England
That is precisely what he is saying. Prove him wrong too. Refuse to pay your property taxes. Or try to fight eminent domain.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-08-14 22:36:01)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5234|Cleveland, Ohio
my mom had some indians (dot not feathers) a few homes down from them and they could not sell their house.  it was a nice house yet nobody would touch it.  why?  cuz it stunk.  the food they cook made it unlivable if you arent indian or whatever.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Diesel_dyk wrote:

14th Amendment takes care of it... at least until all the racists push through a repeal of the 14th Amendment
Is this a jab at Conservatives changing or reinterpreting the 14th Amendment so children with both parents illegal aren't considered U.S. citizens?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

JohnG@lt wrote:

That is precisely what he is saying. Prove him wrong too. Refuse to pay your property taxes. Or try to fight eminent domain.
I was just about to mention eminent domain too.  Sad really.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5234|Cleveland, Ohio
so lets see....

they can build a mosque if they want cuz its private property yet i cant sell to who i want cuz its private property?  right e o
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Thank whoever butchered the Declaration of Independence and inserted 'pursuit of happiness' instead of 'private property'.

That would be... Ben Franklin.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6534|Long Island, New York

JohnG@lt wrote:

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Thank whoever butchered the Declaration of Independence and inserted 'pursuit of happiness' instead of 'private property'.

That would be... Ben Franklin.
Bingo.

Racism itself is not illegal. You're free to think as you wish. Racism on a business level however such as this is.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
What can the black couple sue for?  A fixed cash amount or the house or the transaction to go through as agreed? 

Basically what are the possible outcomes?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

What can the black couple sue for?  A fixed cash amount or the house or the transaction to go through as agreed? 

Basically what are the possible outcomes?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_flight
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Seriously, your brand of social conservatism pales in comparison to East Coast closed societies. You don't know snobbery until you live in a community like the one I grew up in. There are certain social clubs that I would not be invited to join because my family hasn't been in this country long enough.

When my girlfriends parents sold their home in the spring they received an enormous amount of pressure to pick the 'right buyer' regardless of the money offered. It came down to a choice between a Russian and an old money blue blood who was buying the home with family money. Needless to say, they eventually caved and sold it to the blue blood because my girlfriends family still has close friends in the town and they will still see these people at the country club etc. So trust me when I say that I understand full well why the couple in this article pulled their home off the market. Bridgeport is very much like my girlfriends hometown.
-Frederick Bastiat
Phrozenbot
+632|6612|do not disturb

If that is the case then that neighborhood isn't worth living in.
jord
+2,382|6675|The North, beyond the wall.
It does have some amount of logic, obviously keeping people that are going to lower property prices out is a priority for these people.

I don't see it extends to nationalitys tough, russians are fine by me...
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Phrozenbot wrote:

If that is the case then that neighborhood isn't worth living in.
Ha! While I don't crave it myself, to certain people, social status is everything.

"I would never join any club that would accept me as a member."
-Mark Twain

Along with high end cars, designer clothes, and million dollar homes, people chase social societies as well.
-Frederick Bastiat
Phrozenbot
+632|6612|do not disturb

People have a lot of insecurities. I could have settled for a quaint little home in a small town in Montana or somewhere on the plains but that's just me

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard