lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I never said you're doing nothing wrong when Drunk Driving, I've stated numerous times that it's a bullshit law. You really are daft, also depending on what your drink of choice is at dinner it's breaking the law sweety. It's not an over the limit law, if you had your one drink lets say a scotch or even a nice bottle of wine with the woman, then eat, drink coffee and drive I can guarantee that you have drunk driven as defined by the law.

I wasn't talking about a DWI for the poor family, just a ticket in general. The DWI's cost probably around 7-10k between lawyers, court cost and fines. Then you have the added insurance costs afterwards.

Also again when I got mine, I was not over the legal limit, my only crime was that I was 19 and not 21.
I can guarantee you that I only drive drunk if  I blew over the state legal limit.
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6695|NJ
Which you probably have.. Yeah I"m off the road, but we still have your drunk ass who knows when he's under the legal limit with out any assistant.

So at least I"m off the road, cause I got my DWI. Have fun with yours when the time comes.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2010-08-06 14:51:23)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Which you probably have.. Yeah I"m off the road, but we still have your drunk ass who knows when he's under the legal limit with out any assistant.

So at least I"m off the road, cause I got my DWI. Have fun with yours when the time comes.
You keep holdin' yer breathe.................please
cpt.fass1
+329|6695|NJ
Well if i were you, I"d plan for alternative transportation when any booze is involved. It's not me holding my breath, it's me offering a tip so you can stay high on that pedistal.

In all honesty, not even one drink is worth the risk and if you're going to be the driver don't even take that risk..
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Well if i were you, I"d plan for alternative transportation when any booze is involved. It's not me holding my breath, it's me offering a tip so you can stay high on that pedistal.

In all honesty, not even one drink is worth the risk and if you're going to be the driver don't even take that risk..
Appreciate the advice, but for one, I do not like stiff drinks, nor do I like whiskey scotch, etc... the worst I do is a frozen margarita, and not even then if I can taste the alcohol. So I think I will be just fine.

I do not fault you for getting a DWI, I fault you for somehow thinking DWI is no big deal and the cops should not be on the look out for it.
cpt.fass1
+329|6695|NJ

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Appreciate the advice, but for one, I do not like stiff drinks, nor do I like whiskey scotch, etc... the worst I do is a frozen margarita, and not even then if I can taste the alcohol. So I think I will be just fine.

I do not fault you for getting a DWI, I fault you for somehow thinking DWI is no big deal and the cops should not be on the look out for it.
I'm not saying a DWI is no big deal.. I'm saying that it is too much of a grey area and the laws aren't defined. I'm also saying that they don't give you any other options, parking laws/sleeping in the car laws, and that they're too hard on it that it actually is counter productive. I think being totally wasted and driving is a huge difference then being buzzed and wasted. I think they dropped the BAC level here to .04 which is legit nothing.

I say that we need lighter penalty's for 18-21 year olds regarding booze and that if we're going to have such strict DWI laws that we shouldn't have such strict Sleeping in the car laws.  It's very counter productive that when laws get too strict about things that they don't really prevent anymore and they're not effective as a deterrent.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

lowing wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I'm not saying a DWI is no big deal.. I'm saying that it is too much of a grey area and the laws aren't defined. I'm also saying that they don't give you any other options, parking laws/sleeping in the car laws, and that they're too hard on it that it actually is counter productive. I think being totally wasted and driving is a huge difference then being buzzed and wasted. I think they dropped the BAC level here to .04 which is legit nothing.

I say that we need lighter penalty's for 18-21 year olds regarding booze and that if we're going to have such strict DWI laws that we shouldn't have such strict Sleeping in the car laws.  It's very counter productive that when laws get too strict about things that they don't really prevent anymore and they're not effective as a deterrent.
How can you say it is not a deterrent? YOU ain't doing it again. Also I want stiffer penalites for DWI regardless of age. I want there to be no doubt that if you drink while intoxicated, you are going to hurt.
cpt.fass1
+329|6695|NJ
I'm not doing it again does not make it a deterrent. It's already like that, even in cases of no accident and no real sign that the person is drunk, and it does hurt. Also I'm sure your police force isn't driving around in beaters, they have there nice 150k police cars. 

But punishment is way more important then education.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire
150k? what the hell are they driving that costs that much?
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
cpt.fass1
+329|6695|NJ

RTHKI wrote:

150k? what the hell are they driving that costs that much?
Cars hooked up with the lights, and all the equipment run about that much..
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

I'm not doing it again does not make it a deterrent. It's already like that, even in cases of no accident and no real sign that the person is drunk, and it does hurt. Also I'm sure your police force isn't driving around in beaters, they have there nice 150k police cars. 

But punishment is way more important then education.
Punishment is more important than education? I see so now the excuse is, you were not educated enough to know that drunk driving could hurt someone? Unless you have lived on another planet since birth, that is an excuse that will not fly.

Here is another shocker, cigarette smoking is not good for you either............Ya know in case ya hadn't heard.

Anyway, yeah I will take punishment over education any day, since I doubt the family that was killed by a drunk driver will take little comfort in knowing that he will be "educated" in the perils of drunk driving, so as to never do it again.

Ya know what I love about cop cars?? The fact that some of the nicer ones come from drug dealers and DWI's who have had their cars seized.
cpt.fass1
+329|6695|NJ
At what point does the punishment exceed the crime in your eyes?

See I get the whole everyone is a bad person and we all need to be punished. But there's a breaking point in which case you're taking what can be a good citizen, pushing them in a corner where the only way out is to become a criminal. Well you reap what you sew and soon we're going to start seeing the cost of punishment having a negative effect on Society.. Oh Shit we already are, over crowed expensive jail for minimal crimes(Weed, Failure to pay tickets, etc). Where as in your eyes this is keeping Criminals off the street, in my eyes it's creating a giant expense which is killing our economy and country.

Also anti Drinking and Smoking activists are taking control, it's been around for a really long time and the people of the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's seem to have had a better life then us.  When is the punishment crowd going to stop crying? Seriously life is life and if you look at stats DWI fatalities isn't even really that high, you know what's way higher then them, normal driving fatalities.

And of course cops seizing drug dealer and DWI cars wouldn't have anything to do with car thefts going up. I mean a criminal without a car would just go buy a new one and wouldn't bother stealing yours right? I think it's pretty common sense that if you penalize a thief with a huge fine for stealing that the only way he's going to come up with the money is by stealing. Again at what point do you say "This really isn't helping or working?"

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2010-08-09 10:54:56)

SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6129|North Tonawanda, NY

Turquoise wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

cpt.fass1 wrote:

Also you can get a DWI for walking to your car to put something in it while drunk, sleeping in the car with your keys, transporting hard liquor in your car completely sober, mowing your law with a beer on a riding law mower. It's fucking crazy and a cash grab law, not a defined law that makes sense or is even defined.
What?  Do you have an example of that in action?  I'd say that is more of an open container issue than a DWI one...  I have heard of people getting busted for sitting in the car with the keys in the ignition while boozing...don't leave the keys in there!  It can give cops the idea you had intent.
Believe it or not, there are still laws in some states that outlaw transporting beyond a certain volume of alcohol -- regardless of the containers being open or not.
Maybe...but a DWI for that?
cpt.fass1
+329|6695|NJ
Yes, also the cars that they seize aren't always the criminals cars. If your automobile is stolen and used for drug running and they catch the guy they will take an innocent persons automobile as well.

http://www.economist.com/node/16219747? … d=16219747

“civil asset forfeiture”

Oh and here's a good artical

http://www.cracked.com/article_18620_6- … w-you.html
jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
If a drug dealer already has a solid base of contacts and customers then he's going to have no problem reraising enough money for a new car...
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6650|USA

cpt.fass1 wrote:

At what point does the punishment exceed the crime in your eyes?

See I get the whole everyone is a bad person and we all need to be punished. But there's a breaking point in which case you're taking what can be a good citizen, pushing them in a corner where the only way out is to become a criminal. Well you reap what you sew and soon we're going to start seeing the cost of punishment having a negative effect on Society.. Oh Shit we already are, over crowed expensive jail for minimal crimes(Weed, Failure to pay tickets, etc). Where as in your eyes this is keeping Criminals off the street, in my eyes it's creating a giant expense which is killing our economy and country.

Also anti Drinking and Smoking activists are taking control, it's been around for a really long time and the people of the 50's, 60's, 70's and 80's seem to have had a better life then us.  When is the punishment crowd going to stop crying? Seriously life is life and if you look at stats DWI fatalities isn't even really that high, you know what's way higher then them, normal driving fatalities.

And of course cops seizing drug dealer and DWI cars wouldn't have anything to do with car thefts going up. I mean a criminal without a car would just go buy a new one and wouldn't bother stealing yours right? I think it's pretty common sense that if you penalize a thief with a huge fine for stealing that the only way he's going to come up with the money is by stealing. Again at what point do you say "This really isn't helping or working?"
Let me answer your question with a question.

At what point does the punishment atone for the deaths of a family of 5 in a mini-van?

you use examples of personal self destruction as unjust imprisonment. I tend to agree with you. These people should not be locked up for fucking up their lives. In fact, anyone that sets out to fuck up their own lives I applaud, because the sooner you are out of the picture the sooner the rest of society can close ranks and march on. It is when you have fucked up your life so bad that you must try and compensate it by fucking up someone elses life that I want maximum punishment.

Soooooooo what exactly do you suggest you do with a fuckin thief? Reward him with a gift card to Wal-Mart and Longhorns Steakhouse? As I said, do what you want with your life, I don't give a flying fuck, just leave everyone elses life alone. Now, to tie this into DWI. Drink yourself stupid, drink yourself to alcohol poisoning and die in the ditch choking on your own puke, I do not care. Hit and kill someone that had nothing to do with your stupidity and you should face a punishment commensurate to the pain and permanent suffering you caused.
cpt.fass1
+329|6695|NJ
And I agree on that point, but what about the people who are a little buzzed and someone else crashes into them and ends up dieing? It's automatically the guy who had the drinks fault. I was going to say I'm for strong punishments if you're found to be the cause of the accident but I can't, they have automobile accidents that result in death every day. Drinking and driving has been around for ever and used to be socially acceptable, but now there's a crusade against it like the smoking as well. Say what you will when I'm convinced that a good portion of the preventative measures they've put into place actually cause more people to drive.

You're at a bar and you have a couple of drinks and are really tired cause you been working for 12 hours a day. You go to your car and think it's a better bet for you to fall asleep for a couple then drive home. Then you start thinking, hey fuck it I can get a DWI while I'm asleep in the back of a car so why don't I drive home at least it's a fighting chance. This is a law, and the reason it's a law, is because if you're drunk sleeping in the car when you wake up your still going to be drunk and obviously drive home. Now that's guilty automatically, instead of innocent into proven guilty, cause you're not technically doing anything wrong at the time of the arrest.

It's really hard to take this stance, because then everyone points out the deaths. But then again I looked up the stats and the Drinking fatalities have been steady for the past ten years and under 10k a year for the states(if I remember I'm being lazy). The normal accidents(not drunk) have gone up from 20k to 35k, so even though all these laws have curbed the drinking and driving people are still dieing in car accidents.

Oh and what to do with a thief is make him work a job, not a community service job but employment of some kind. There's alot to do in this country and it's really not getting done.  Community service as a punishment really doesn't work and it bullshit.

Last edited by cpt.fass1 (2010-08-10 09:12:12)

jord
+2,382|6677|The North, beyond the wall.
Crime pays, and whether you take a hard stance on it or an educational one its going to exist in a very similar capacity. Apathy is needed.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5585

Thread title mentions 'nun' instead of 'woman' like her occupation matters. I wonder if the immigrant killed a hooker what the title would be.

Just a thought.
rawls2
Mr. Bigglesworth
+89|6559
I find it amusing that this started off as another "Fuckin illegals fucking up my country" thread and turned into exactly what it should have been in the first place, a debate on the level of punishment a drunk driver should get for killing someone. That's all. Carry on.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard