Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England

Dilbert_X wrote:

Financials are still making money, here's why.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers … vings.html
So don't invest with a fund? E-trade ftmfw.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6397|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Right, because what y'all have been doing for the past 100 years has worked so well. Trying to stop free will is a fruitless endeavor. There will always be new products and new services and new loopholes that people will create. Unless you keep the laws simple and punish those that don't follow them severely, all you do is create scofflaws and then everyone takes the entire system for a joke.

When I was a kid I used to love playing in the sand at the beach. I wouldn't build sand castles, I would build a wall to keep the ocean out. I'd spend hours working on it until the tide came up and then spend another half hour or so mending holes and building it higher as the surf came up. Eventually I'd lose my battle. You're trying to stop the ocean with flimsy sand walls and wondering why it isn't working.
...and what we tried during the Gilded Age didn't work either...
Are you referring to the heavy Mercantilist time period in our nations history rife with government sponsored monopolies like Union Pacific, the highest tariffs in our nations history, and widespread graft and favoritism? Is that the one you're talking about? Because that sure as shit wasn't free trade economics. No, that time period is exactly what liberals try to bring back every time they pile on regulations.
So, when has trade ever been free by your definition?
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5986|Truthistan

JohnG@lt wrote:

Dilbert_X wrote:

Financials are still making money, here's why.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/pers … vings.html
So don't invest with a fund? E-trade ftmfw.
So that's your solution, don't invest if you don't like the rules as they are set up.

Here's your problem Galt, your position is that the market is as it was prior to PBO was free, and now it getting bogged down with regulation because everyone is going all communist, and so dam PBO the communist and anyone else that wants sane regulation... what a load of BS.

Here's where you're wrong or have some seriously large blinders on...
If we had a free market, then everyone should be able to take their money directly to the stock exchange and buy stock, what we have right now is a closed trading system where you need to pay some one in order to trade, its a closed system not a free market. A free market would cause some real competition on these services and they wouldn't be able to rape people like they do.

So if I point out that these parasites are taking out too much money for their "services" is correct and its a symptom of a lack of competition and a lack of a free market. Its the same criticism leveled at the rating agencies where there are really only two agencies.

These guys act as nothing more than electronic highway men sitting on bridge and collecting "tolls" that they deem fit from everyone.

I really would like to see a free market where I could log on to a stock exchange and trade directly with that exchange. I really don't need these guys and in fact they stand as a barrier to a free market. With technology and the internet it really should not be hard to set that up, but the politcs of removing the monopoly that guys have would be near impossible.

And it would certainly be nice to be able to get in on IPOs when they come out, instead on the big guys get to trade the good ones.... yup that's a really free market you're defending there. In fact I think you've even recognized in some of the other posts that monopolies need to be regulated, so I really don't know what your moaning is all about. free up the market like I outlined, or regulate the shit out of them, because the status quo is dragging the economy down. But like I said its the status quo that making these parasites rich.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

...and what we tried during the Gilded Age didn't work either...
Are you referring to the heavy Mercantilist time period in our nations history rife with government sponsored monopolies like Union Pacific, the highest tariffs in our nations history, and widespread graft and favoritism? Is that the one you're talking about? Because that sure as shit wasn't free trade economics. No, that time period is exactly what liberals try to bring back every time they pile on regulations.
Never. The closest we've ever come is post-1970s when Keynesian theory met stagflation and fell out of favor. Keynes is neo-mercantilism. This is why I argue so vehemently against him, and can't understand why the left in this country is so in love with him (except that his theory is easy to understand since laymen think of wealth as nothing more than zero sum piles of gold or currency).

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-08-08 19:11:33)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Never. The closest we've ever come is post-1970s when Keynesian theory met stagflation and fell out of favor.
So, essentially, all we really have to go by with a truly free market is pure conjecture and theory.  It reminds me of Marxism, in that there has never been a successful labor revolution that has resulted in Marx's ideal of a labor collective running everything.

By the same token, as long as there have been governments, there has never been a situation where the market has been allowed to completely operate with the level of freedom you're advocating, and as such, we have no real world evidence that it would work as well as you assume -- nor would it necessarily result in fewer monopolies or oligopolies.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Never. The closest we've ever come is post-1970s when Keynesian theory met stagflation and fell out of favor.
So, essentially, all we really have to go by with a truly free market is pure conjecture and theory.  It reminds me of Marxism, in that there has never been a successful labor revolution that has resulted in Marx's ideal of a labor collective running everything.

By the same token, as long as there have been governments, there has never been a situation where the market has been allowed to completely operate with the level of freedom you're advocating, and as such, we have no real world evidence that it would work as well as you assume -- nor would it necessarily result in fewer monopolies or oligopolies.
What a conservative view to take...
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Eh...  I prefer the term "skeptical."  A lot of the reason why I don't side with libertarians on economic issues is that it seems they often advocate things that have yet to be tested in reality.

It's easy to defend something you know will never be implemented and thereby cannot conclusively be proven wrong.  It's much like religion in that respect, since no one can prove or disprove the existence of deities.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Eh...  I prefer the term "skeptical."  A lot of the reason why I don't side with libertarians on economic issues is that it seems they often advocate things that have yet to be tested in reality.

It's easy to defend something you know will never be implemented and thereby cannot conclusively be proven wrong.  It's much like religion in that respect, since no one can prove or disprove the existence of deities.
Only because it's far too lucrative for politicians to monkey around in the private sector. We live in the Age of Pull and the age won't end short of a revolution or a revolutionary President who stamps out the corruption instead of playing the game. Neither will happen in my lifetime... c'est la vie.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Only because it's far too lucrative for politicians to monkey around in the private sector. We live in the Age of Pull and the age won't end short of a revolution or a revolutionary President who stamps out the corruption instead of playing the game. Neither will happen in my lifetime... c'est la vie.
If nothing else, we at least are both against pork and corruption.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Yet you wish to keep handing them the tools to do so... It's like asking a fox to guard the henhouse.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yet you wish to keep handing them the tools to do so... It's like asking a fox to guard the henhouse.
Keeping up with that analogy, I view both the elite rich and the government as foxes, while the henhouse is for the rest of society to dwell in.

It's inevitable that foxes will determine our fate, but I would rather see the foxes fight each other before they get to us.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

Keeping up with that analogy, I view both the elite rich and the government as foxes, while the henhouse is for the rest of society to dwell in.

It's inevitable that foxes will determine our fate, but I would rather see the foxes fight each other before they get to us.
Yeah, except one has no real power over our daily lives while the other has very real power over our lives. I'd rather keep the latter as week as possible.
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada

JohnG@lt wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Yeah, except one has no real power over our daily lives while the other has very real power over our lives. I'd rather keep the latter as week as possible.
Both have power.  In fact, in day to day existence, it's generally special interests (mostly in the form of corporate lobbyists) that manipulate government -- thereby affecting us through policy.

Even if government did not exist or was too weak to do much, corporations would take its place in terms of coercive force (as seen in many parts of Africa).

In short, power vacuums are always filled, and in the long run, the few will always rule the many.  It's human nature.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

I leave you with this. Gets good at 2:50. Nighty night.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-08-08 19:34:03)

-Frederick Bastiat
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6540|San Diego, CA, USA
Looks like the Feds may adjust downward again (3.7% to 2.4%), to 1% for the GDP:

http://blogs.investors.com/capitalhill/ … trade-data

That may explain why the DOW dropped 235 points today.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
so what has explained the days when it went up?
Tu Stultus Es
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Good earnings.  I suspect the DOW will jump tomorrow or by the end of the week.
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5986|Truthistan

Harmor wrote:

Well it looks like the DOW dumped off its mini-bubble after the Fed spread a little reality on the wall street party.

But I've noticed a trend the last few months where the first two weeks of the month see a jump in commodities namely oil and gas, prices at the pump rise and then the last couple weeks of the month oil and gas commodities dump but the price at the pump stay high. Its as if the first couple of weeks in the month are being used to fix the price at the pump for the entire month. So if this month holds true, we saw oil go from $75 to $86 and this past week it fell back to $75, gas prices rose modestly at the pump, and we will see how long the pump prices will hold at these new prices.

The other trend is with the Euro
1. the corelation between the euro rising and the stocks rising and
2. when the Euro is stable at any price vis-a-vis the US dollar, then oil commodities rise as the currency carry trade pumps up oil commodities.

But when the Euro falls in value both stocks and commodities fall... when the currency carry trade falls apart, then the trade that's pumping up the oil prices falls apart too until the relative currency values stabilize and carry trade starts again. Unforunately for us regular people who have to pay for over priced gasoline, this carry trade works whenever the relative currencies are stable.

IMO the Euro is the weak link permitting traders to artificially pump up prices while the economy is flat or in decline. the Euro is more prone to trader manipulation unlike a single country currency where the country can take action to defend its currency. The Euro should just die already.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

Diesel_dyk wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Well it looks like the DOW dumped off its mini-bubble after the Fed spread a little reality on the wall street party.
Yep...looks like I was wrong.  This is deeper than I thought.  So much for the 'summer of recovery'.

Here's a good article from the Wall Street Journal about why businesses are not hiring:

Why I'm Not Hiring: When you add it all up, it costs $74,000 to put $44,000 in Sally's pocket and to give her $12,000 in benefits.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
I don't know if I would trust Jim Cramer but on his site he has this article about the Hindenburg Omen that predicts when a market crash is about to occur.  He claims that these same conditions occurred in the October 2008 crash.
Phrozenbot
+632|6607|do not disturb

I think once the stimulus fizzles out completely will we truly know if the economy is gaining real GDP or if it was all stimulus. GDP is up yet unemployment is still rather high. I don't feel the recession is over.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Recession will be over once all the legislation passed in the past year is 'digested' by businesses. Once they see what their real costs will be due to the health care legislation we'll see an uptick. Companies aren't charities, if they can't justify hiring an employee because the return on the investment is too low they just won't do it. Enshrining employer based health coverage was the dumbest route they could've gone. We would've been better off with a NHS type thing.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-08-15 10:18:46)

-Frederick Bastiat
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Looks like the small inventor is really feeling the uncertainty in the stock market:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/busin … r=2&hp

Last edited by Harmor (2010-08-22 09:27:52)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom

Harmor wrote:

Looks like the small inventor is really feeling the uncertainty in the stock market:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/22/busin … r=2&hp
big inventors are where its at
Tu Stultus Es
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
What do you guys think of this `Hindenburg Omen`?

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/marketbeat/2010/08 … ped-again/ via http://www.drudgereport.com/

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard