ATG
Banned
+5,233|6499|Global Command
A band with that kind of catalog should do " an evening with " instead of having a warm up act.

1) they make more money and
2) the fans enjoy it more.

Like Rush; they do two sets and a 3.5 hour show. It's awsm.
Wreckognize
+294|6455

Ty wrote:

...Those who reckognise the word...
lulz
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas
next big festival I'm going to is ACL, excited for that shit

www.aclfestival.com

maybe a small venue here and there between then, but nothing planned
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6335|California
nocturnal
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
Buying tickets to Soundwave on the pre-release...

http://www.soundwavefestival.com/
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

Ty wrote:

Last night I saw Shihad. Those who recognise the word would know that I tend to harp on about them a lot - you guys ignore me which is probably for the best - but last night I saw them for the third time as part of their late 21st birthday celebrations, (they've been playing together for 22 years now.) The original plan was to have seven nights and play a different album a night, (a pretty big ask making approximately eighty songs live gig worthy,) and in the end they decided against it. However they did decide to play two of their albums in full over two nights, the first, Killjoy released in 1995, the second, The General Electic, released in 2000. They did a tour of Australia before coming to NZ. Due to funds I could only pick one and through both Killjoy and TGE are among my favourite albums, TGE is my favourite album.

So I had the very real privelage of seeing my favourite band play my favourite album, (which includes my favourite song,) track by track. It's pretty rare the person who can say that.

The opening act was good, a group called Cairo Knife Fight. From what I know of the genre, (fuck all,) I'd label it 'shoegaze' which is my least favourite genre name, (nothing against the genre, just think the name is dumb,) - but it was good music, it was a bit experimental and quite clever. Bought their EP after the gig anyway. One of their members if a former member of a band called Weta, a damn good but shortlived Kiwi band.

I tell you, I've seen some damn good acts including the Foo Fighters and The Who but even being as objectionable as I can I can say that I haven't seen a live act better than Shihad. I mean we were in this place called San Francisco Bath House, a pretty small venue - sold out but there wouldn't have been more than 250 people as the band wanted to keep it small to add to the 'exclusivity', (this is a band that can fill stadiums - at least in NZ and in some parts of Oz which shouldn't take away from the achievement given the population factor,) It's probably a combination of factors; they're all damn good musicians, they've been playing together long enough now to be incredibly tight, Jon Toogood is like a hummingbird on speed with the amount of energy he has performance wise, plus they're all local boys which adds a bit to the pride factor - but I think it's just because it's so clear that they're enjoying the crap out of what they're doing and that energy just fills whatever place they're playing. It's just an unbelievable sense of fun that they have in everything they do and enjoying a gig like that you can't help but feel it too. From "My Mind's Sedate" through "Pacifier" to "Brightest Star" and their encores from their first self titled album, (they were forced to change their name to appease a US record label betwean 2001 and 2004 so are part of the rare group of bands to have two differently self-titled albums,) and their very first EP, (from when I was only three years old,) the place was fucking wild and everyone left on such a high of positive energy that I doubt anyone slept at all - I know I didn't which kind of sucked because I had a thirteen hour workday today - but fuck me it was worth it.
I saw Shihad at a festival about 4 years ago. They were fucking awesome, and bass tone was to die for.
Grinspoon was on as the headline act afterwards. Me and a group of mates left after about 5 songs, they were nowhere as good.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

Bevo wrote:

www.aclfestival.com

Wow man, great lineup!
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas

Jaekus wrote:

Bevo wrote:

www.aclfestival.com

Wow man, great lineup!
I go every year and I'm never disappointed. Saw some fucking great shows, most notably Thievery Corporation, Beck, and Ghostland Observatory. Man, ghostland knows how to put on a show.

Last edited by Bevo (2010-08-08 08:50:34)

i hope to see sts9 for two nights at Red Rocks early September. one night features thievery corporation and the next ghostland observatory
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

i hope to see sts9 for two nights at Red Rocks early September. one night features thievery corporation and the next ghostland observatory
D:

where's this?
Bevo
Nah
+718|6490|Austin, Texas

Kimmmmmmmmmmmm wrote:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=red%20rocks%20amphitheater&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=996&bih=588
by denver
too far

very cool, but too far
Ty
Mass Media Casualty
+2,398|6744|Noizyland

Jaekus wrote:

Ty wrote:

Shihad stuff.
I saw Shihad at a festival about 4 years ago. They were fucking awesome, and bass tone was to die for.
Grinspoon was on as the headline act afterwards. Me and a group of mates left after about 5 songs, they were nowhere as good.
I guess Shihad were a... Hard Act to Follow? Ah ha! Ah ha ha!

Come on, that's funny!
[Blinking eyes thing]
Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/tzyon
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6443|6 6 4 oh, I forget

Chemical Bros. on wednesday.

Ultrafunkula wrote:

Chemical Bros. on wednesday.
im JEALOUS! i like the new album alot
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6126|Vancouver | Canada
Mobb Deep somewhere in November, I think.

Maybe R.A. The Rugged Man too.
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6711

Muse in December, because they supposedly put on a great live show

Really wanted to see Eels this weekend, oh well.

Might go to falls festival if the lineup is decent, and I'll definitely be going to big day out
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6409|Brisbane, Australia

So the festival was a week ago or something now (Splendour in the Grass) but I saw:

LCD Soundsystem (my favourite of the acts I went to, mainly because I wasnt expecting such an energetic show from them)
Frightened Rabbit
Florence + The Machine
The Strokes
Passion Pit
also Miami Horror, Hot Chip, Whitley, Bluejuice, Mumford & Sons, Wolfmother, and other ones I cant remember

Missed Band of Horses and Temper Trap cause of scheduling clashes - something like 80 acts over 3 days. Was in the front row for LCD, Florence and Strokes which was pretty fantastic.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
Jestar
Shifty's Home Number: 02 9662 8432
+373|6711

fuck you tim die
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

Jestar wrote:

Muse in December, because they supposedly put on a great live show
I've seen Muse twice and they certainly do.
menzo
̏̏̏̏̏̏̏̏&#
+616|6416|Amsterdam‫
this probably

Amsterdam Dance Event Special
Armada Night

Festival
keywords: trance

Main area:
Armin van Buuren
Markus Schulz
Dash Berlin
Sean Tyas
Alex M.O.R.P.H.
W&W
Myon & Shane54

Deluxe:
Signum
Orjan Nilsen
Tenishia
Ruben de Ronde
Elsandro

Price: € 17,50 (pre-sale) / € 20,- (door sale)
https://i231.photobucket.com/albums/ee37/menzo2003/fredbf2.png
aimless
+166|6094|Texas

=NHB=Shadow wrote:

nocturnal
In texas? Me too.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF
I'm going to see Streetlight Manifesto this coming Saturday, Zebrahead/Less Then Jake in November, and Jimmy Eat World in November as well
Chou
+737|6760
UB40 - 26th November 2010
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6242
I'm torn between Godspeed you! Black emperor and porcupine tree.
seeking advice. Ticket for GY!BE is 30 euro and 45 for PT

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard