Freezer7Pro
I don't come here a lot anymore.
+1,447|6167|Winland

https://i880.photobucket.com/albums/ac7/FF_CCSa1F/freezersmacweek.jpg

For a week, starting today, I'll use this machine, with its native operating system, for all my every-day tasks (aside from gaming and other stuff that it obviously can't handle). I've never before used any computer running Apple OS X for more than an hour, so wish me luck.

I'll post all my revelations about the supposedly superior system here, for all of you to enjoy.

EDIT: Oh, and the machine is an 1.8GHz rev. A (no camera, no ALS) Imac G5, with 2GB of RAM, 160GB HDD, and a turbo-charged FX5200 handling the graphics.

The first thing that struck me was that every keyboard shortcut is different from what I'm used to, and that there isn't a very simple way of changing those very basic commands, like copy-paste. If any of you Mac-heads out there know how, I'd be very grateful.

Last edited by Freezer7Pro (2010-08-06 14:19:14)

The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Jenspm
penis
+1,716|6702|St. Andrews / Oslo

I think ctrl is swapped with the command key aka the 'apple key'

so ctrl + c is now command + C
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/flickricon.png https://twitter.com/phoenix/favicon.ico
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Jenspm wrote:

Yes, which is the same as S-ALT + C, which is the same as Win + C.

And it's hurting my brain!
The idea of any hi-fi system is to reproduce the source material as faithfully as possible, and to deliberately add distortion to everything you hear (due to amplifier deficiencies) because it sounds 'nice' is simply not high fidelity. If that is what you want to hear then there is no problem with that, but by adding so much additional material (by way of harmonics and intermodulation) you have a tailored sound system, not a hi-fi. - Rod Elliot, ESP
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Just imagine you are using a laptop where the FN key is at the utmost right, then the super/win key will feel like ctrl.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Sydney wrote:

Freezer7Pro wrote:

Jenspm wrote:

Just imagine you are using a laptop where the FN key is at the utmost right, then the super/win key will feel like ctrl.
I have a laptop like that, and it too causes headaches.
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.
btw, when I said right, I meant left.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Sydney wrote:

btw, when I said right, I meant left.
Obviously.

But, I found a way to switch CTRL and S-ALT! It was just to go to the keyboard settings and click the big, glowing "Modifier keys" button.

This is going to be a lot, and I mean, A LOT, easier now. Phew.
Surgeons
U shud proabbly f off u fat prik
+3,097|6459|Gogledd Cymru

Use an iKeyboard or w/e they're called.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Surgeons wrote:

Use an iKeyboard or w/e they're called.
No way, dude. Nothing will ever replace my mechanical IBM.
Phatmatt
Vroom Vroom
+298|6159|Canada

I like your teacup.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia
Set up spaces and exposé.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

Phatmatt wrote:

I like your teacup.
It's a coffee cup.

mcminty wrote:

Set up spaces and exposé.
That Exposé thingy is quite useful, since there is no real taskbar to be found. But I think I'll go without Spaces, as this machine is running a bit sluggishly already, as-is. Know of any useless garbage I could disable?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Good luck and I hope the experience is worth it.

I encourage you to try as many things as you can, that maybe aren't the typical day-to-day computer stuff. E.g., I could not for the life of me create and burn a DVD on iMovie, but have no problems making a fancy-schmancy custom DVD with Nero on Windows
killer21
Because f*ck you that's why.
+400|6560|Reisterstown, MD

Crossing over to the darkside...nice.  I look forward to the "review"..
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

killer21 wrote:

Crossing over to the darkside...nice.  I look forward to the "review"..
I don't think I'm really crossing over to any dark sides here. I doubt I'm ever going to actually drop money on one of these.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York
I'm switching to a MacBook pro for college literally tomorrow, so I guess I'm going on the same venture. Should be interesting.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

What's a good archive manager for OS X? There doesn't seem to be any proper 7-zip variation that runs on PPC.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

What will you do if the webcam breaks?

edit: pff, it doesn't even have one. What kind of a Mac is that pos?

Last edited by AussieReaper (2010-08-06 18:13:52)

https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

AussieReaper wrote:

DO YOU NOT KNOW WHO I AM?!
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia

Freezer7Pro wrote:

What's a good archive manager for OS X? There doesn't seem to be any proper 7-zip variation that runs on PPC.
I use The Unarchiver...  http://wakaba.c3.cx/s/apps/unarchiver.html

unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

My Mac experiences have been thrust upon me at college, and the most I can say is 'meh.'
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Freezer7Pro wrote:

AussieReaper wrote:

DO YOU NOT KNOW WHO I AM?!
You're right.

You're far too ugly to use one.
Freezer7Pro
+1,447|6167|Winland

So, upon turning the machine on today, the middle-click scroll function has ceased working in Firefox.

What the hell.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6123|what

Fuck sake freezer, these computers are designed so people like this can use them:

https://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4440/obama2k.jpg

and you can't even get the mouse to work?
GC_PaNzerFIN
Work and study @ Technical Uni
+528|6384|Finland

AussieReaper wrote:

Fuck sake freezer, these computers are designed so people like this can use them:

http://img576.imageshack.us/img576/4440/obama2k.jpg

and you can't even get the mouse to work?
Those very same ppl send the hole MAC to repair if the mouse is not working...
3930K | H100i | RIVF | 16GB DDR3 | GTX 480 | AX750 | 800D | 512GB SSD | 3TB HDD | Xonar DX | W8

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard