Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
+3,253|6507|Long Island, New York
For moving stuff from my PC to my new MacBook Pro and for backing up files.

Looking at this one right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6822136505

It says it needs to be reformatted for use between Macs and PCs... will that be an issue?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.
Windows can't read HFS
Mac can't read NTFS
Both can read FAT32

However, I know for a fact that you can make Macs use NTFS and there's probably also a way to make Windows read HFS.
i am not sure about win/mac conversions but
that drive is good i have the 2 tb one.. those wd passports are also good if you have less desk room and dont want to plug it into the wall for power
alexb
<3
+590|5909|Kentucky, USA

Just format it to FAT32, just be aware that you can't save files bigger than 4GB on it due to the FAT32 restrictions.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6282

If you don't mind spending the extra cash The My Passport Essential is awesome. They don't need an external power source, you just plug it into the USB port and go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6822136477

My friend's got one and he loves it.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6637

Mac can read NTFS.  It just can't write NTFS without some pricey software.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia

Ilocano wrote:

Mac can read NTFS.  It just can't write NTFS without some pricey software.
I can read and write to NFTS!

via MacFUSE and NTFS-3G..
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6708|Toronto | Canada

ebug9 wrote:

If you don't mind spending the extra cash The My Passport Essential is awesome. They don't need an external power source, you just plug it into the USB port and go.

Nope, he probably has one of the previous generation, which I have.  The new generation (the one you linked) is plagued with problems.  Plus, from experience, USB powered ones aren't as reliable as ones with a direct power supply.

The WD Elements you linked at the start is quite nice.  If you want simplicity in transferring files, just use FAT32.  Then if you have larger files (assuming movies, media, etc) you can just use a file splitter to make them into sub 4GB files and rejoin them after transfer.
mcminty

Winston_Churchill wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

Nope, he probably has one of the previous generation, which I have.  The new generation (the one you linked) is plagued with problems.  Plus, from experience, USB powered ones aren't as reliable as ones with a direct power supply.

The WD Elements you linked at the start is quite nice.  If you want simplicity in transferring files, just use FAT32.  Then if you have larger files (assuming movies, media, etc) you can just use a file splitter to make them into sub 4GB files and rejoin them after transfer.
Yeah, I wouldn't use a USB one for transferring (it would be too slow compared to a powered one, right?) and backing up my data...

Poseidon, once the transfer is done, will you be reformatting the drive to HFS+ and using it for Time Machine?... or just using it as an external HD as one usually does..
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef

mcminty wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

Yeah, I wouldn't use a USB one for transferring (it would be too slow compared to a powered one, right?) and backing up my data...

Poseidon, once the transfer is done, will you be reformatting the drive to HFS+ and using it for Time Machine?... or just using it as an external HD as one usually does..
I've never had a Mac. I haven't been on the tech scene in 2 years. You're speaking french to me.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6708|Toronto | Canada

mcminty wrote:

Winston_Churchill wrote:

ebug9 wrote:

Not necessarily slower.  Theyre 5400RPM which some hard drives are (most are "Green", so variable speeds).  You can get 7200RPM ones though
mcminty

Poseidon wrote:

I've never had a Mac. I haven't been on the tech scene in 2 years. You're speaking french to me.
http://www.apple.com/macosx/what-is-mac … chine.html - Basically, it'll create a complete historical backup of your laptop's hard drive.. so every hour it saves any changes, then each day it consolidates them, etc etc. If something completely fucks up on the macbook, you can recreate your entire computer's settings/file structure from the backup.. or if you need a single file you used to have (but deleted..), you can go in and navigate the time/file structure to find it. It's pretty nifty lol. I use that, as well as a few external HDs to put RAW photo files/movies/etc that I don't have space to carry with me on the laptop..

Winston_Churchill wrote:

Not necessarily slower. Theyre 5400RPM which some hard drives are (most are "Green", so variable speeds). You can get 7200RPM ones though
Ah ok.. hmm I recall that files would transfer slower (I think over USB lol) when my Macbook wasn't plugged in.. so I assumed the same for powered vs non-powered external hard drives..
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX

Poseidon wrote:

For moving stuff from my PC to my new MacBook Pro and for backing up files.

Looking at this one right now:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6822136505

It says it needs to be reformatted for use between Macs and PCs... will that be an issue?
I have one of those, seems to work, its nice and heavy, could probably use it to bash an intruder, otherwise its an external HD - nothing to say really.
Could use some software to do incremental backups - it didn't come with any,
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
ig
This topic seems to have no actual posts
+1,199|6492
have 2x 1tb wd my books. love em. think you can get a 2gb for pretty cheap nowadays
ig
+1,199|6492
ig
+1,199|6492
nvm just looked at the one in the op. pretty sweet for $90
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
Yeah I think I'm gonna go with the one posted. Thanks guys.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
Hmm. I just backed up all my files from my PC onto the external.

Question is, can I somehow restore them to my Mac (when it comes next week)?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

sure.
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6662
How did it work out Poseidon?

I'm gonna have to do the opposite of your transfer. Mac to PC.
Poseidon
Fudgepack DeQueef
i love it, personally... no problems with it at all.

using it as my time machine device now

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard