mikkel
+383|6572

11 Bravo wrote:

i dont think you did

11 Bravo wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Absolutely. Why are you citing an example of a lack of public scrutiny in one sector to argue against allowing for public scrutiny in another? Are you for it or against it?
im not arguing that.

11 Bravo wrote:

i am saying if its ok to vid cops then it should be ok for me to flim doctors.  its quite simple.  i would say yes we can film cops have public scrutiny in one sector if you remove restrictions to other things on public scrutiny in other sectors.  if not, i say no.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5208|Cleveland, Ohio

mikkel wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

i dont think you did

11 Bravo wrote:

mikkel wrote:

Absolutely. Why are you citing an example of a lack of public scrutiny in one sector to argue against allowing for public scrutiny in another? Are you for it or against it?
im not arguing that.

11 Bravo wrote:

i am saying if its ok to vid cops then it should be ok for me to flim doctors.  its quite simple.  i would say yes we can film cops have public scrutiny in one sector if you remove restrictions to other things on public scrutiny in other sectors.  if not, i say no.
its not lack of public scutiny its lack of access and the lack of caring about having no access to something that is way worse.
Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6714|Reality
The Ottawa Hills officer was convicted based on the videotape of HIS OWN DASH-MOUNTED camera.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6742|PNW

*sigh*

People will just stealth-film and release to wikileaks.
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6500|Global Command
@ marine, Doctors may endanger many more people every year. I am okay with filming of all transactions as this is a litigious culture and people are pricks.

The difference is cops make a decision a lot of time to use force when it is not required or is egregious.

Cops should ALWAYS be filmed and doctors should be allowed to opt in or have a policy saying no cameras as that is a private business.
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6456|England

ATG wrote:

police state
cpt.fass1
The Cap'n Can Make it Hap'n
+329|6667|NJ
Well just the knowledge that the police might be filmed at anytime actually makes them think before abusing there power which makes it our only defense against laws.

There's a huge difference between filming an occurrence and police obstruction, which with the amount of back up they do call would be address. If this was a law years ago, we probably wouldn't have had the Rodney King incident on tape. We wouldn't have seen the riot guard march on peace full protesters all over the place, and basically we wouldn't have seen the police state this country is slowly becoming.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA
Haven't read this thread but I find it funny how everyone can manage to film cops, yet no one seems to be able to film the fuckin criminals in order to aid the police in making their communities better. Oh well, as long as I don't live in a neighborhood where filming cops is all the rage, and rest assured, I don't.
jord
+2,382|6649|The North, beyond the wall.

lowing wrote:

Haven't read this thread but I find it funny how everyone can manage to film cops, yet no one seems to be able to film the fuckin criminals in order to aid the police in making their communities better. Oh well, as long as I don't live in a neighborhood where filming cops is all the rage, and rest assured, I don't.
A video of police brutality or corruption aids the community significantly better than a video of some guy buying pot.

Who's going to go around and film serious criminals? Asking to be tortured to death.
Ilocano
buuuurrrrrrppppp.......
+341|6638

That's what Cops, the series is for...
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5965|Truthistan
I smell an impending first amendment bitch-slap coming towards the supporters of the police state.
Video tape rids us of bad cops and makes the public safer.

The solution is simply, the states that go after people for filming bad cops are states that are not worth living in, so move while you still can.
SplinterStrike
Roamer
+250|6382|Eskimo land. AKA Canada.

Diesel_dyk wrote:

I smell an impending first amendment bitch-slap coming towards the supporters of the police state.
Video tape rids us of bad cops and makes the public safer.

The solution is simply, the states that go after people for filming bad cops are states that are not worth living in, so move while you still can.
This. It's ridiculous you can be convicted for presenting evidence.
HollisHurlbut
+51|5968
I'm surprised no one has made at least one of two compelling arguments:

1. If you were to get pulled over and informed the officer his image and words were being recorded, wouldn't that indemnify you from prosecution for recording without consent?

2. When you get pulled over, 99% of the time, the encounter is already being recorded by the officer's own dashcam.  First, why doesn't the consent apply here also, and second, if the encounter is already being recorded with the officer's knowledge, why would a second recording, even if it's existence isn't known to the officer, be prohibited?
Reciprocity
+721|6551|the dank(super) side of Oregon

HollisHurlbut wrote:

2. When you get pulled over, 99% of the time, the encounter is already being recorded by the officer's own dashcam.  First, why doesn't the consent apply here also, and second, if the encounter is already being recorded with the officer's knowledge, why would a second recording, even if it's existence isn't known to the officer, be prohibited?
because that recording is not for your protection.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

A video of police brutality or corruption aids the community significantly better than a video of some guy buying pot.

Who's going to go around and film serious criminals? Asking to be tortured to death.
THey are not filming "bad cops" they are filming ALL the cops that they can, in hopes to filming one doing something wrong. They have not heard of a specific "bad cop" and decided to get his actions on film as proof. Like it or not, there is a difference.

Sorry you think filming all cops is going to make your community better over thinking pulling criminals off of the streets will. Or does your logic tell you that there is more of a bad cop problem than a bad citizen problem?
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6750|Great Brown North

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

THey are not filming "bad cops" they are filming ALL the cops that they can, in hopes to filming one doing something wrong. They have not heard of a specific "bad cop" and decided to get his actions on film as proof. Like it or not, there is a difference.

Sorry you think filming all cops is going to make your community better over thinking pulling criminals off of the streets will. Or does your logic tell you that there is more of a bad cop problem than a bad citizen problem?
criminals i can defend against

there's nothing i can do against a bad cop

i see where you're coming from lowing, and i semi agree with you..... but if the police aren't doing anything wrong, what do they have to hide right?

Last edited by krazed (2010-07-31 08:18:28)

lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

krazed wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

criminals i can defend against

there's nothing i can do against a bad cop
LOL, you say that as if you really think you are going to have to defend yourself against a bad cop.

Generally speaking, the only people that need to worry about  "bad cops" are bad people. In such a case, those are not bad cops, theose are GREAT cops.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6750|Great Brown North
/facedesk

will reply better from work shortly
jord

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

A bad cop can get away with almost anything here. Courts always favour cops over citizens, as seen by the court case here regarding ian tomlinson being beaten with a batan and later dying. The cop got off with nothing, an outcome no citizen would hope for. Thus the only defense against a bad cop is recording him. There's also a news story here with a video of 2 cops holding down a man whilst a third office punches the subdued man, numerous times. Criminals I can defend against, and have done.
Reciprocity

lowing wrote:

Generally speaking, the only people that need to worry about  "bad cops" are bad people. In such a case, those are not bad cops, theose are GREAT cops.
See, lowing's such a hardcore, nutball conservative that even the Constitution is too much of a pussy-assed, liberal piece of toilet paper for his liking.
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

A bad cop can get away with almost anything here. Courts always favour cops over citizens, as seen by the court case here regarding ian tomlinson being beaten with a batan and later dying. The cop got off with nothing, an outcome no citizen would hope for. Thus the only defense against a bad cop is recording him. There's also a news story here with a video of 2 cops holding down a man whilst a third office punches the subdued man, numerous times. Criminals I can defend against, and have done.
Now for the rest of the stories, what did those people do that drew thew cops attention?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

Reciprocity wrote:

lowing wrote:

Generally speaking, the only people that need to worry about  "bad cops" are bad people. In such a case, those are not bad cops, these are GREAT cops.
See, lowing's such a hardcore, nutball conservative that even the Constitution is too much of a pussy-assed, liberal piece of toilet paper for his liking.
I love the Constitution, and we really wouldn't need cops if people would live by it, however, if you are going to take the right of life, liberty or happiness away from another, I fully support yours being removed as well. If you are going to interfere with the police or put them or innocent people in danger while they protect our rights, I fully support them beating the fuck out of you. Pretty crazy huh?
jord

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

Now for the rest of the stories, what did those people do that drew thew cops attention?
Even if the 2 examples I gave had provacation, and they don't, it doesn't justify beating a subdued person..

Or do you think it does?
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6622|USA

jord wrote:

lowing wrote:

jord wrote:

Even if the 2 examples I gave had provacation, and they don't, it doesn't justify beating a subdued person..

Or do you think it does?
Nope what I am saying is, a criminal getting the fuck beat out of him, really isn't high on my list of bullshit to protest. In fact I would rather donate my time to Al Gores global warming.

Humor me anyway, tell me how these cops just picked these people out of a crowd and decided to beat them for amusement.

Last edited by lowing (2010-07-31 15:41:27)

Reciprocity

lowing wrote:

Pretty crazy huh?
yep.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard