AT3am_Murd0ch
+15|6595

=NAA=TheTaxidermist wrote:

And like I said, I have never come across one that is enforced, just recommended.  Nothing wrong with that.
Interestingly, the UK highway code is just a recommended code of practice as well....but you don't see me driving on the pavement!
=NAA=TheTaxidermist
+6|6749|In a van down by the river
I didn't know knife and pistol only servers could cause serious injury to you.  I guess you learn something new everyday.
Torin
+52|6707
It's amazing how you keep missing the point.
MaddOps
Who the hell elected you leader of this outfit?
+55|6612
I have come across one that WAS enforced, with the Admin pausing the game to kick people, who didn't play like he wanted. 

So what did I do as a responsible player?  I claymored the hell out of the two main channels that I knew people ran through, and after doing that 6 times got myself banned.
I had enough for my Vet EOD badge and then some.  Too bad it didn't count. Ha ha ha.  That was an excercise in ridiculous. 

The ones where you don't get kicks bans and whatnots are a blast.  Yeah some people use rifles, like when you just came back and someone is firing on you, but the "gentlemens agreement" servers I think would fall under perfectly legal.  If you're gonna have fun why not.  Same thing if on a smaller server everyone had vehicles and jihad jeeps, and tanks and APCs and went at it with no foot soldiering what so ever.  I like playing limited games sometimes, it's different and you have to get creative with your tactics. 

Overall it causes you to see what works and learn your strenghts and weaknesses.  Can we get a sniper only, or an Eryx/Stinger only server?  You'd really learn how to do pinpoint shots like a pro.
Chou
+737|6806
There are "Infantry Only" servers and they include No Tank/Helo/Arty/Jet/Vehicles and those are great ones because you go groundpounding to the Max
Torin
+52|6707
Here is what I like to refer to as the Karma Rollercoaster! My, has this thread been fun!

It's amusing to note how the "Reason" for karma differs between the good and bad responses.

https://img439.imageshack.us/img439/1531/karmarollercoaster6do.th.jpg
AT3am_Murd0ch
+15|6595

=NAA=TheTaxidermist wrote:

I didn't know knife and pistol only servers could cause serious injury to you.  I guess you learn something new everyday.

Torin wrote:

It's amazing how you keep missing the point.
Yeah, point very, very, very missed... And how you could cause any kind of injury with such a flimsy pamphlet... you've got me stumped! Papercut maybe?
Not
Great success!
+216|6591|Chandler, AZ
Having a 16 man server with a 64 man map is fine.

Having a pistol/knife only server is not.

However, having a server where the "recommended" weapons are pistols and knives, doesn't break a rule.

Vote kicking is not against the rules.

If an admin kicks for not using a knife or pistol, that's against the rules. (I've seen that happen and the admin was reported)

To really understand why a pistol/knife GAME is not against the rules, you have to understand what a votekick is. A player initiates a votekick when they disagree with what another player is doing. So, if you're an exceptionally good bomber pilot, and you kill a lot of people, and most of the players on the server don't like you....you can get votekicked. That's the player's right, and all you can do about it is shut up and either rejoin or find a new server. It has nothing to do with enforcing "rules" because there are no "rules". In the case of a knife/pistol suggested server, it's simply that, a suggestion. If all players in a server decided it would be fun to play that way, and someone comes in to wreck the day and they get kicked, so sorry but it's that person's loss.

You don't have to like it, you just have to accept that what's being done in that situation isn't stat-padding, and drop it.

The ROE rules state that a server cannot enforce those styles of game play. Bottom line. If any admin does, they deserve to have their server unranked. But the players do get a little bit of choice in their gameplay experience. This isn't BFAuschwitz, Torin. Maybe you and the other rank Nazi's would enjoy that mod a little more, the ranking system there is really unique.
=NAA=TheTaxidermist
I figured that the UK Highway code had something to do with highways, you know, vroom vroom.
[BS]_Bone_
+17|6602|USA

Cougar wrote:

The rest of the world knew this 6 months ago.  WHERE THE HELL HAVE YOU BEEN?
i just got onto the forums like less than a month ago so lol... good question
BallisticallyYours
+23|6646|Chicago, IL
I play high points because i don't like to wait for a new map to load, probably my lack of ram but? Whatever.
Roger Lesboules
Ah ben tabarnak!
+316|6592|Abitibi-Temiscamingue. Québec!
I actually like to get on knife n pistol server only...but the heck with me is that when im on those i still use whatever i want! Thats the way illegal server are ment to be played! And if they ban me...they will just get their name on the bf2rankedserver forum

That was my 2cents bout it

Have a nice day and ruin stats-padders day!
BallisticallyYours
+23|6646|Chicago, IL

Roger Lesboules wrote:

I actually like to get on knife n pistol server only...but the heck with me is that when im on those i still use whatever i want! Thats the way illegal server are ment to be played! And if they ban me...they will just get their name on the bf2rankedserver forum

That was my 2cents bout it

Have a nice day and ruin stats-padders day!
Nice. Well put.
TrollmeaT
Aspiring Objectivist
+492|6687|Colorado
I agree with torins point which seemed too be missed by most , follow the rules cheaters.

I swear some of the people trying to defend the point from the other side sound like kids caught with the hand in the cookie jar.

"I wasnt getting a cookie, the lid was loose & I was closing it."
acEofspadEs6313
Shiny! Let's be bad guys.
+102|6707|NAS Jacksonville, Florida

MaddoxM wrote:

Its not that hard to get it in a real server, maybe you just suck?
I agree with that. I got by Expert Knife and Expert Pistol badges, respectively, on ranked servers that had 40+ people on them. And to prove it, my clanmates were there when I got both of them.
imdead
Death StatPadder
+228|6784|Human Meat Shield
Its not hard to get knife and pistol badges; just go around using your knife and pistol took me one game to get Veteran. I haven't tried for any others.
AT3am_Murd0ch
+15|6595

imdead wrote:

Its not hard to get knife and pistol badges; just go around using your knife and pistol took me one game to get Veteran. I haven't tried for any others.
Same here - Its easy really, and after some practice last night i'm up to 10 or so knife kills per match, so the expert badge can't be far off!
cheshiremoe
Evil Geniuses for a sparsely populated tomorrow
+50|6724

ROE wrote:

§1.8 Players may not use or exploit game mechanisms to artificially boost their score ("stats padding") and Server administrators may not knowingly allow or encourage this activity on their servers.

This would include but not limited to:
§ Knife-Pistol-Revive
§ Knife-Pistol only Servers
§ Knife only Servers
It's simple, by having a server with the name of "knife and Pistol Server" the admin is encouraging stats padding allowing players to artificially boost there knife/pistol stats.  Somewhere I remember seeing that any pre-aranged knife fight is concidered padding and that is exactly what the Pistol/knife servers are.  Even if you are not kicking people for not following your suggested guide lines your still padding the same as if you went out into a remote spot on a map did a little knife & revive contest.  EA/Dice is not restricting the way you play the game you payed your 50 bucks for.  They don't have to make the stats service free,  they don't even have to track you stats at all.  If you cant see that being able to get your Expert Knife Badge while not being under fire from a tank or any of the other standard weapons is cheating to get the badge then you have learn that you don't get anything out of life if don't put any effort into your endevors.  This applys to evey illagitamet point you get from padding on your knife servers.

Again, if you don't think we should care about stats/badges why don't you go play on an unranked server. 
Why do you want them ranked so bad?
Not
Great success!
+216|6591|Chandler, AZ
Doesn't matter to me if its ranked or not, I'd just rather accomplish something during the hours I play. Really, the stats aren't that big of a deal, and I'm sure none of you righteous BF2 paladins really lose any sleep at night over your stats, or anyone elses...right? Right!? Cause if you do, seek professional psychiatric care immediately. Live and let live people, pretty simple. I really don't see why anyone gets worked up about this in the first place. It's not as if your rank determines your salary in real life, or validates your personality somehow...at least I hope not. For your sake.

I guess what it comes down to is that people always want something to complain about, so the people who are unhappy with their real lives come to vent eFrustration and I guess that's ok. Better than going out and harming yourself or someone else. At the end of the day, nobody wins, nobody loses. So why argue?
=NAA=Slyfox
+3|6661
"Somewhere I remember seeing that any pre-aranged knife fight is concidered padding"

That's about the lamest thing I've ever heard. If I ever see you in game charging at me with a knife, I'll be sure not to pull out a knife against you, cause then it will be "pre-arranged". Instead, I'll grab my shotgun and blast you into next week.
cheshiremoe
+50|6724

=NAA=Slyfox wrote:

"Somewhere I remember seeing that any pre-aranged knife fight is concidered padding"

That's about the lamest thing I've ever heard. If I ever see you in game charging at me with a knife, I'll be sure not to pull out a knife against you, cause then it will be "pre-arranged". Instead, I'll grab my shotgun and blast you into next week.
Is the debate over, because your going twards the flame side than the debate side of the argument. 

Sure pull out what ever you want in that situation, it's a chance meeting... but if you or I say "Let go knife fight" then you are pre-arranging a meeting to padde.  Going to a pistol/knife server is the same thing, you already know there will be people there that want to knife fight or pistol dual and nothing else. 

I usualy do shoot people with the shotgun that run at me with a knife,  and the same goes for when I charge with a knife.  The knife badges are not supposed to be easy or fair.  Yes on occation it fine pull out your knife and dual, but thats not too common.  I have been the victum of people on there way to there knife badge in a legit server, they were very good and I was not knife fighting with them.  The Requirements for Expert knife can be done on a regular server, maybe not by me but others are very cappable with some luck, team work and a lot of skill.
DaVeWaVe
Sponsored by Ready Brek... The Nation's Favourite
+7|6677|Farmland, England
Do you guys actually know the reason why servers are called "High Points" server's and are ranked? Well done to people who can answer this correctly. :p (hint: stat padding/cares about stats)
Now, i've seen a lot of posts saying that knife/pistol servers are okay in unranked mode. This is obvoiusly true, and i fail to understand why people will stop whining on about this. If your stats mean fuck to you, then go on an UNRANKED server so people will have no right stop you. Sure, you have no stats but thats okay, right?
As long as the server is UNRANKED, i wouldn't give a crap and nor will EA/DICE/BF2POLICE. If it is RANKED, I still wouldn't give a crap, but other people will (like EA/DICE/BF2POLICE).
cheshiremoe
+50|6724

DaVeWaVe wrote:

Do you guys actually know the reason why servers are called "High Points" server's and are ranked?
They are called high points because they have lower number of max players with a larger map size and ticket count.  Fewer people with high number of tickes results in higher scores for the round, but each round takes longer.  This is different than the deffenition then what IndianScout wrote in response to questions about the Rules of Engagement (ROE).
=NAA=TheTaxidermist

DaVeWaVe wrote:

If your stats mean fuck to you, then go on an UNRANKED server so people will have no right stop you.
Unranked is great, but nobody goes into knife pistol only servers that are unranked.  So you'll be sitting in there by yourself knifing your foot I guess.  Sorry, I'd rather have a nice knife fight with 10+ people.  Go ahead and give me the IP for a Knife/Pistol unranked server that is always populated and I'll go in that one.
FFLink
There is.
+1,380|6706|Devon, England
not much on topic, but i just thought id say it. today i was on a regular server, on karkand, and my m8 was telling me ther wer loadsa peeps at the suburb, i went ther and knifed em all to hell and bak, left a medic alive so i cud get some more knife kills of his m8s. after 7 kills, i got the medic aswell. then i got called a stat padder. am i?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard