JdeFalconr
Lex Luthor, King of Australia
+72|6547|Sammamish, WA
With the release of Starcraft 2 today I think the writing on the wall is now clear: mainstreaming video games has killed the medium. Big business has realized that games can have a huge audience and they have begun manipulating their products and sales methods to extract the most money possible from consumers, not to produce quality products. Premium units and maps? No spawned copies? Taking ten years to release a game and then tri-secting the campaign release? Ridiculous.

Or look at Dragon Age 2. No character customization? Simplified dialogue and combat systems? Compare it to the original and I see the difficulty and complexity bar lowered to make the game appeal to an audience that could not be troubled with the intricacies, detail and thought that playing the original game could take.

I think too of BF2...the horrible bugginess at launch? How slow fixes to those severe issues were to come, some of which never were fixed? Companies routinely release such unfinished products now, uncaring of their customers opinions.

We can also look at Activision and their handling of the Infinity Ward fiasco for how developers are regarded...

I fully appreciate that videogame publishers are a business and must make money. But there is a definite distinction between caring ultimately for the customer and the art and from caring for the bottom line only.

This trend of lowering the bar and squeezing the consumer for all they're worth will sadly continue as video games get to be bigger business. Fortunately smaller shops like Stardock can still stay relatively free of the pressures o their big-name publishers. It looks like we'll have to increasingly turn to them for quality games that are player-focused, not profit-focused.

Last edited by JdeFalconr (2010-07-27 17:13:30)

ATG
Banned
+5,233|6534|Global Command
lol.
Gaming is a big business.
They are raping you.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5242|Cleveland, Ohio
what about the pc users stealing games?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5363|London, England
So code your own video games then? There is a vast gulf between the difficulty associated with creating Starcraft and Starcraft 2. Games keep getting more complex, maybe not in the dialogue, but in the behind-the-scenes code and that eats up a lot of man hours.

Also, as with anything, you're seeing things in a nostalgic light and ignoring all the bugs, exploits and other crap that was loaded into the games you love when they were released. People act like BF2 was so much better at release than BC2 but if you look at the last few pages of the BF2 forum all you will see is people bitching about this and that.

Consumers will never be fully satisfied with any product. Hell, there are probably more people like me that don't give a fig for the backstory or dialogue and get annoyed by cut-scenes than there are people that share your views. It's not literature, it's a damn video game that is supposed to be played for a few hours or days and then discarded, just like any other form of entertainment.

Lastly, the game was produced by Blizzard, the kings of sucking an audience in and milking them for every penny they can get out of them. Are you really surprised?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6473
This thread is by far the dumbest one I've seen all week.

By far.
11 Bravo
Banned

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

By far.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=139177
lowing
Banned
+1,662|6656|USA

JohnG@lt wrote:

Lastly, the game was produced by Blizzard, the kings of sucking an audience in and milking them for every penny they can get out of them. Are you really surprised?
Sounds like good business practices with a great product. Is it that Blizzard "sucks them in" or is it that Blizzard produces a highly enterttaining product that the consumer can not get enough of?
ATG
Banned

Doctor Strangelove wrote:

By far.
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id=124096
Noobpatty
ʎʇʇɐdqoou
+194|6359|West NY
What, does SC2 suck?
11 Bravo
Banned

Noobpatty wrote:

What, does SC2 suck?
no
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Sounds like good business practices with a great product. Is it that Blizzard "sucks them in" or is it that Blizzard produces a highly enterttaining product that the consumer can not get enough of?
Oh, I'm not pissing on Blizzard in the slightest. They sell high quality crack that I was addicted to for 3 1/2 years.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5590

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Oh, I'm not pissing on Blizzard in the slightest. They sell high quality crack that I was addicted to for 3 1/2 years.
You used to play WoW?

I have just lost ALL respect for you. You used to be in my top 10, now your in the bottom 20.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Macbeth wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

lowing wrote:

You used to play WoW?

I have just lost ALL respect for you. You used to be in my top 10, now your in the bottom 20.
Started playing the week after I got back from Iraq. Lots of people in the military play it.
-Frederick Bastiat
ATG
Banned
Figures.
11 Bravo
Banned

JohnG@lt wrote:

Started playing the week after I got back from Iraq. Lots of people in the chair force play it.
fxd
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Started playing the week after I got back from Iraq. Lots of people in the chair force play it.
fxd
Army, son.
-Frederick Bastiat
11 Bravo
Banned

JohnG@lt wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

fxd
Army, son.
pog or grunt?
Doctor Strangelove
Real Battlefield Veterinarian.
+1,758|6473
Oh god, where to begin.

While Blizzard does milk games for all they are worth, Blizzard's games are worth quite allot. In terms of business practices, I can't think of a dev who has made more dick moves than Blizzard. In Diablo2 they upped the difficulty so much that you needed to by the expansion, and then charging $60 for one third of SC2. However people still like Blizzard. Because the actually make good games. Yes, Blizzard games don't suck enough that they are about to milk the fans dry without anyone complaining.

Next Dragon Age 2. First and foremost the only real change to the dialog was the fact that the PC now actually talks and has a personality rather than standing around with a blank expression looking like a robot. Same system as Mass Effect, where the PC, Shepard, talks to people, delivers lines and does stuff other than stand around and kill stuff. This bugged me in DA1 as the PC was kinda just there, not doing much, so the new system will work to prevent these immersion breaking moments. The character customization is still there, it's not as robust but this is for storytelling reasons. It enables the devs to give the PC an actual name, or atleast a nickname that he can go by. While I liked the "Origins" part of DA1, it forced everyone to address you in very generic terms, being called "Grey Warden" doesn't make much sense when there is another Grey Warden standing right next to you. And your statements about the combat are blanatly misinformed. The combat on the PC will be unchanged, save for balance adjustments. The only changes occur on the console games where the tactics required to fully enjoy the game could not be properly executed due to limitations of the controllers. So instead of bringing the PC down to the console level, Bioware is keeping the PC where it was while fixing the console game to take better advantage of the different control set up.

BF2, aside from being 5 years old, was never really that buggy. And aside from the 1.3 fiasco, was handled fairly well. Major changes to the game were made, new content was added, and holy-fuck, bugs got fixed. The reason 1.5 came so long after 1.4 was because there really was no reason for a major patch after 1.4, the community just wanted some small adjustments and a new map, and they fucking got it. There was never any real game breaking problems with BF2, aside from those introduced (and then corrected) in the 1.01 and 1.3 patches.

As for Activision and IW, find out what really happened, instead of reading the blog of some IW fangirl. The IW exces were working with EA to create their new company during MW2's development, how else did they get a new dev house and a contract to make a new game within less than a month of getting fired? Activision fired them because they knew that they were about to quit, what's more is that the guys likely used Activision's resources to set up their new partnership with EA. Activision had ever right to fire and sue those guys, and they come off as the bad guy for simply being the larger firm, and the publishing company.

Also even Stardock aren't really your friend, you're still just a consumer to them. Their actions might look like they are some sort of paragon among game publishers, but all that shit is just PR events, set up so that people like you think that they are so wonderful so you'll buy their games.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

11 Bravo wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

fxd
Army, son.
pog or grunt?
commo
-Frederick Bastiat
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6410|North Carolina
Simple answer...  MMOs are designed to rape you.  That's why they charge a monthly rate.

It makes far more sense to play games that don't charge by the month, at least in an economic sense.

As for Starcraft...  well, the first one was good for its time, but 10 years is a long time to wait for a game whose graphics only seem slightly better than that of the original.  Granted, I am somewhat of a graphics snob.

Your average gamer isn't using an especially impressive rig, so that's why a lot of these highly mainstream games are designed in ways that might seem somewhat bland graphically or mechanically.  Granted, the other side to this is that many casual gamers prefer games that are "pickup and play."  It doesn't take that much skill to succeed at WOW or Starcraft, and that's part of the appeal.  Even though WOW is famous (or infamous) for its addictive qualities, a large chunk of its market isn't composed of obsessive gamers but rather casual ones that still spend most of their time offline.  The simpler the game design, the larger the market you can reach in terms of learning curves and playability.  The tech side of this is that you don't want the game to be too hardware intensive or you end up leaving out people that can't afford to buy a top of the line computer or don't have the skill to build one.

Beyond that, marketing has become a big factor in the gaming industry, since several highly hyped games have ended up paying for themselves through pre-orders long before they even come out.  This also lessens the emphasis on getting a good review for a game.  If you can sell a ton of copies before they are even created and distributed, that makes marketing the primary emphasis.

So, if you see a lot of quality issues arising regarding new games, there's a good chance it might be tied to this emphasis on hardselling pre-orders through advertising.
Phrozenbot
+632|6620|do not disturb

As far as I can tell, developers are giving what the consumers want. No one is forcing them to buy anything.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6686|Disaster Free Zone
Baring things like hiking or going to the beach, find me a form of entertainment that costs so little for the amount of time you're entertained?

Off the top of my head I can't think of anything, in fact if games were 2 or 3 times the price they'd still be great value for money.
jord
+2,382|6683|The North, beyond the wall.
Torrent or don't play then?

Businesses generally try too turn as big a profit as they can...
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6475
all you guys saying sc2 is 'one third' of a game are fucking retarded and clearly have never played it. the campaign, challenges, co-op, and let alone MULTIPLAYER content is worth £35. then there is the entire battle.net framework, and about 10 hour's worth of in-game cinematics, movies and top-notch voice/character acting. in comparison, most of you whining bought bc2 and mw2 for £50, paying far more for FAR LESS: a reskin and a dumbing down. also, at people like turq... saying games like warcraft and starcraft are 'dumbed down'... have you fucking played the games? i would never ever call starcraft 'dumbed down' - in fact i would say it's probably the most difficult and demanding pc game around, and will be for quite some time. world of warcraft as well certainly was not 'dumbed down' at release. why are you people talking shite about games you have clearly not even played for 15 minutes? be quiet... this is D&ST not Guess & Blag Shite.

stop whining at certain game devs that are doing a perfectly fine job of stimulating the pc gaming industry.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-07-28 05:25:39)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6111|eXtreme to the maX
So the evil Big Business is leaving space for quality entrepreneurs to create great games and make a ton of money.
Doesn't seem so bad.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard