lrishpride
+68|5153
Chances are that if you hate the practice it's gonna be great for your body. Unless you hated it for other reasons (getting raped in the showers by your coach etc...).

I'd never be able to do cardio 3 times per week if it involved treadmills and cycling and what-not. You need to play sports man. If you don't play sports around here you're nobody and you're fat, get involved, head to the pub after for a few, then you'll love it and it'll be great for you.

E: My free t-shirt that came with my Maximuslce Cyclone came today, it's a lil big but I wasn't gonna wear it anyway, not for a while anyways... With a giant 'BODY OF 2010' printed on the back you'd wanna have the goods to prove it, and I don't

I'll keep it till I do, it'll be a lil more motivation

Last edited by lrishpride (2010-07-23 15:35:41)

Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5769|Belgium
Nah, I didn't hate it because it was though. I hated it because it was practicing certain set pieces over and over again and that bored the shit outta me. I just wanted to play some games with my mates.
okashii
+34|6533|I'm form Poland and I hate it
Hi everyone =]

I want to loose body fat because I'm really starting to hate the way I look.
I weight 91kg, ~177cm tall, gut is pushing out, "lovehandles" and a "lovely" set of man-boobs -__-"
I used to not care about a lot of things because my life got really shitty, but loosing weigt might provide me with a boost I need to get on with my life a bit. 
I did loose 7kg of weight once over a period of 2weeks [during first week accually, the second week I was just hovering gain/lose 0.5kg per day]
by completely cutting off sweets, snacking and doing a low carb diet (no more than 20g of carb's a day, I think it's called Atkins diet) and excersising just a little on a some kind of workout machine that is now sold.
Seeing there is a lot of people that know a lot by experience and take this thread seriously, any advice/tips you could give me would mean a lot.
I need some fat burning excercises. Sadly a gym is not an option because I had to move to far outskirts of a shitty town (literally fields and forests). Goal is to lose fat (11 killograms over any period of time and then continue to lose a bit more) any muscles is a secondary goal.
I also plan to change my usual beverage (which has sugar in it) to a flavoured water.
Thanks in advance for any help =]
Keep in shape guys.
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6277
Read up on zimmer's guide, he has some solid tips on it about diet.
What helped me lose weight fast is biking/cardio. Do you have a bike? Seeing that you live in the countryside a bicycle would be very convienient for your transportation needs.
okashii
Thanks for the reply Metal-Eater-GR =]
I'm accually reading this thread right now and already learned a lot by reading Zimmer's wise posts. Still have at least 30 pages to go..
I do have a bike (no idea if it's still working but it collects the dust pretty well) however there is no gym in the nearest town if that's what you meant by transportation. Is biking good for fat loss or dies it mostly help gaining leg muscles ets?
Metal-Eater-GR
+490|6277
Biking builds up stamina and helps you lose fat (lost nearly 1 kg on a 80 kilometer bike ride). If you do it regularly and stick to a healthy diet I reckon you could lose fat quickly.
For actual exercise, wait for posts from the other members
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6317

Be sure to stay hydrated if you do try cycling out.

https://i.imgur.com/zY1wA.gif

I find something like this is easier to drink on the go than a water bottle strapped to the crossbar.
okashii
Hehe I was checking the prices of camelbak's earlier today as a matter of fact, looks really cool but on my budget I think I will just go with a backpack and 3x 1.5L bottles if I decide to do biking or running.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6317

I think there's a couple other companies that make them. They should be cheaper than the camelbaks.

A regular backpack with 3 water bottles in it might be hard on the back depending on how far you plan on going.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5769|Belgium
Camelbaks are way too expensive imo. I bought a similar one, contains 2L and is just as comfortable, for €20. The camelbak version was more than €80.
Metal-Eater-GR
+490|6277

ebug9 wrote:

I think there's a couple other companies that make them. They should be cheaper than the camelbaks.

A regular backpack with 3 water bottles in it might be hard on the back depending on how far you plan on going.
I just carry a big bottle and refill it whenever I need it, but he said he would be riding in the countryside so I guess thats a bit of a problem...
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6600|Toronto-Canada
i'm made a big step foward at changing my life style.
i got a gym membership today, will do an assestment monday and start whenever i feel like
3 days per weeks like Zimmer has suggested in multiple occasions.

my main goal is to lose the belly  i have and tone up a little, something similar to what zimmer looks right now ( he have huge pecs though).
i'm already losing weight, i was at 137 pounds ( i'm 5'2" tall so i looked a little bulked up) now after 3 weeks i'm at 130 pounds and kinda avoiding fat food and drinking lots of water ( i drink about 4 liters at day or more).

now i would need you help to create a workout plan.
for now i'm going to use the beginner workout from bodybuilding forums

Back/Bis

Deadlifts                                3x8
A Row                                   3x8               
Chins or Pulldows                ( i dont think i have the upper strength body to pull this off)
Bicep Curl                            3x8

Chest/Tris

Bench                                   3x8
DB or Inc Bench                    3x8
Chest Dips                            ( again not strong enough to do this )
Triceps Isolation                    3x8

Legs/Shoulders

Squat                                  3x8
GHR (Glute Ham Raise)         3x8
Military Press                        ( is this necessary?)
Calf Work

any tips? also should i so abs excercises every day i go to the gym such as crunches, leg raises, reverse crunsh so on?

i will be going to the gym 3 times a week

also should cardio a little bit after the free weight workout?
i know some people are against of doing cardio before working out but what about after?
people say that you need to do cardio to lose the fat that is covering the muscles, is it true?

Last edited by lxcpikiman (2010-07-24 12:59:56)

lrishpride
+68|5153
Do you do all 6 of these muscle groups a day or is it covered by the 3 days in the gym? If you do just 2 of these groups your doing far too little... I normally try to get in at least 4 exercises on concentrated exercises that isolate the actual muscle you intend to workout. Generally I try to get in 3 muscle groups a day 3-4 times per week, with 1.5 hour sessions (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday).

I've got a bone deformity centered around my chest so I do my chest 3 times per week, lower, middle, and upper... My Monday normally goes something like:

Monday: Lower Chest, Biceps & Back

Lower Chest:
2 X 12 decline dumbbell benchpress
2 X 12 decline dumbbell flyes
2 X 12 decline barbell benchpress
2 X MAX inclined press-ups (concentrating on lower chest)

Core

Biceps and Back:
2 X 12 barbell curls
2 X 12 deadlift
2 X 12 hammer curls
2 X 12 upright row
2 X 12 concentrated curls
2 X 12 barbell rows

CORE

///

Been doing this for 3 weeks now and loving it. I'll continue this workout for another 6 weeks I hope (if the shoulder doesn't give in again)

*touch wood*
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5489|Bolingbrook, Illinois

okashii wrote:

I'm form Poland and I hate it
dlaczego

lrishpride wrote:

Do you do all 6 of these muscle groups a day or is it covered by the 3 days in the gym? If you do just 2 of these groups your doing far too little... I normally try to get in at least 4 exercises on concentrated exercises that isolate the actual muscle you intend to workout. Generally I try to get in 3 muscle groups a day 3-4 times per week, with 1.5 hour sessions (Monday, Wednesday, Friday, Saturday).
Zimmer said that beginner's shouldn't concentrate on specific muscles.  Or something like that anyway.
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6600|Toronto-Canada
i would think doing around an hour of workout for a beginner is fine, 1,5 is a little too much.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5769|Belgium
When starting out I found Starting Strength is a great way to get started with working out.
lrishpride
+68|5153

lxcpikiman wrote:

i would think doing around an hour of workout for a beginner is fine, 1,5 is a little too much.
I don't mean 1 hour 50 mins, 1 hour and a half (30 mins). That includes a 10 minute warmup of some cardio and light weight lifting.

Yeah I think when you're a beginner it's just very important that you enjoy it. You'll probably make gains and improve once your making a decent effort and you're enjoying it.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6161|Vancouver | Canada
Triceps are finally really starting to develop. Feels good.
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6742|Oxferd Ohire

lrishpride wrote:

lxcpikiman wrote:

I don't mean 1 hour 50 mins, 1 hour and a half (30 mins). That includes a 10 minute warmup of some cardio and light weight lifting.
your posts are leading me to question the quality of your education
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Noobeater
Northern numpty
+194|6452|Boulder, CO
Well so far since christmas I've managed to go from 140 pounds to 152 pounds. It doesn't sound like much and it doesn't look like much to be honest but I know I'm stronger and fitter and its improved my self confidence. Although to be fair I think I've gained most of that and improved my fitness the most since I started the P90x regime properly, though I still lack decent weights (Currently using an eclectic mix of resistance bands and a couple of 10kg dumbells and a pull up bar).

Edit #2: For the record I'm just a tiny bit shy of 6 foot so I'm really not a big guy build wise.

Edit: I know nobody cares but I feel happier anyway.

Last edited by Noobeater (2010-07-27 04:39:36)

Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6761|Scotland

lxcpikiman wrote:

Yes it is. You shouldn't be doing more than 1 hour, especially as a beginner. Please don't listen to Irishpride when it comes to this, I really don't want others screwing up because he's given bad advice.

You shouldn't be doing concentrated exercises like you have outlined. You should be doing full body workouts on each workout day. I know that sounds like a lot and that you don't feel that's going to target specific muscles, but it will. You're a beginner, you need to get your body acustomed to the whole "workout" idea and the best way is to do full body workouts. It will make a massive difference and you will notice a difference. Once you've spent about 2 months on that, then you can switch to more concentrated exercises.

8, 10 or 12 reps is a good start.

These are some of the exercises you should be doing on your full body workout:
Squats
Deadlifts
Pull ups
Bench Press
Inverted Rows
Overhead press
Chin Ups

They are the basics, you can switch them around (try and do 5 of them each workout day) and do different versions of those exercises. You shouldn't be concentrating on curls or any of that nonsense.

For example, Workout 1 would be:
Squats - 2x12
Bench Press - 2x12
Inverted Rows - 2x10
Push Ups - 3xF
Chin Ups - 3xF

Workout 2:
Deadlifts - 2x12
Squats - 2x10
Overhead Press - 2x12
Reverse Crunches - 3x12
Close grip bench press - 2x10

Where F is where you cannot manage more on that set. As in FAIL of your muscles.

That's just the basics, but you should be concentrating on making your entire body used to the workout before you push into serious concentrated exercises. Once you've got this and you think you're starting to plateau, add another day to your workout, start concentrated workouts (4 muscles per day, then 3 muscles per day, then 2 muscles per day) and you can progress from there. That's how I've done it and trust me, it works a treat. I'm now on 5 days a week (I do not recommend to anyone who hasn't been doing this for quite some time, your muscles will not cope and will degrade rather than get bigger) and I am constantly gaining. When I feel like I'm plateauing I just change my workout to another sort of regime and mix up the exercises. You should never go above 5 days a week.
lxcpikiman
imbad @ bf2
+70|6600|Toronto-Canada
thanks a lot zimmer for the advice.
the trainer that took my fit test said the same thing.
i told him that wanted to work specific group muscle each day i was going to gym and he recommended me not to do it, instead he wants me to do full body workout everytime i go.
man my whole body is in pain, my sides, the abs, the legs, shoulder, surprisingly my arm muscles dont hurt at all
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5489|Bolingbrook, Illinois

lxcpikiman wrote:

thanks a lot zimmer for the advice.
the trainer that took my fit test said the same thing.
i told him that wanted to work specific group muscle each day i was going to gym and he recommended me not to do it, instead he wants me to do full body workout everytime i go.
man my whole body is in pain, my sides, the abs, the legs, shoulder, surprisingly my arm muscles dont hurt at all
dont worry, the arms come later. 
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6761|Scotland

Arms are one thing you don't need to concentrate on. I made the mistake when I started out to just do arm exercises, and now they're stupidly big. It'll take me a long time to get them toned down (which is what I want because they're a bit out-of-proportion).
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6664|BC, Canada
Well, as we all know most protein shakes taste like shit, heres a couple things I've tried to make it better:
1: w/ chocolate protein powder, mix in some peppermint essence,skim milk, makes gross shake awesome.
2: Lately been making Protein fruit smoothies , 1 banana, 1 cup frozen strawberries, 1 cup blueberries, milk. enjoy.

anybody else do anything to make it better, or just suck it up.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard