rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5860
Ok, basicially I've just got a iphone 3GS for my girl. Now she wants it tomorrow as she is dying for it. Its a iphone 3gs on 4.0.1. The only thing I have jailbroken before was my iPod touch but that was way back on something like 3.1.

So just wondering what are the steps needed to jailbreak and unlock the phone. Thanks.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5236|Cleveland, Ohio
throw it against the wall
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6736|Oxferd Ohire

11 Bravo wrote:

throw it against the wall
gwals

s

Last edited by RTHKI (2010-07-20 22:57:42)

https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Mugen
+19|5998
there's no jb/unlock for iOS 4.0/4.01 for either 3gs or 4 (yet)
farmerfez
o wut?
+78|6529

i wouldnt jailbreak iphone because if you take it in for service and they see its jailbroken it may void your warranty causing them to not help you.....if it was a touch id say do it.....
Oh and with the 4.0 shit theres really no need to jailbreak except for apps because you can change all the things jailbreaking allowed you to change from the settings.
Mugen
+19|5998
i wouldnt jailbreak iphone because if you take it in for service and they see its jailbroken it may void your warranty causing them to not help you.....if it was a touch id say do it.....
That's why one is supposed to restore an original FW before taking it in for service...
And it's pretty much necessary if you wanna use another carrier.

Oh and with the 4.0 shit theres really no need to jailbreak except for apps because you can change all the things jailbreaking allowed you to change from the settings.
Not even close. There's lockinfo, sbsettings, winterboard (my most favorite) to name a few.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6652
Threadcrashing,

There's no way of jailbreaking an itouch 3g, is there?
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6658|The darkside of Denver

rammunition wrote:

Ok, basicially I've just got a iphone 3GS for my girl. Now she wants it tomorrow as she is dying for it. Its a iphone 3gs on 4.0.1. The only thing I have jailbroken before was my iPod touch but that was way back on something like 3.1.

So just wondering what are the steps needed to jailbreak and unlock the phone. Thanks.
So basically you've wasted your money if tyou want to jailbreak to another carrier.  Ios4 hasnt been cracked yet.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
what's the point in jailbreaking iOs 4, anyway?
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6129|Carnoustie MASSIF

Lucien wrote:

Threadcrashing,

Yes, I did it.
SonderKommando

Uzique wrote:

To use on a different carrier.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5860
so whats the best option, downgrading to a different firmware? if so which one?
SonderKommando

rammunition wrote:

If you can find it and install it without bricking the phone. or wait... itll get hacked soon enough.  I was able to downgrade firmware once, Put the device in recovery mode and then restore through itunes.  I forgot how to be able to choose the firmware version, google it.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469

SonderKommando wrote:

Uzique wrote:

To use on a different carrier.
pretty sure that's US of A only... can do that fine in england without jailbreaking.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

Nah, if your provider won't unlock it for you have to unlock it via jailbreaking. They'll let you unlock it usually once your contract has expired and you've paid the phone off.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
providers in the UK don't suck a dick like they do in the US though with AT&T and co.

i don't think any of my friends that have jailbreak'd their iphones did it to 'use a different carrier'. don't think it even works that way here.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

My friend had to do something along those lines. I forget exactly what, but it was locked to other carriers when he first got it, so he jailbroke it until O2 would unlock it for him.
rammunition
Fully Loaded
+143|5860
Im sure you jailbreak it then do something with "baseband" which i think is a piece of software that unlocks the phone
alexb
<3
+590|5938|Kentucky, USA

comex (spiritjb) will be coming out with a release sometime soon.
SonderKommando

Uzique wrote:

jailbreak'd
You know better than this.
TimmmmaaaaH
Damn, I... had something for this
+725|6438|Brisbane, Australia

Lucien wrote:

Threadcrashing,

Depends entirely on what firmware version you have installed.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/5e6a35c97adb20771c7b713312c0307c23a7a36a.png
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5716|Vancouver, BC, Canada
At this point, the only way to downgrade an iPhone/ipod is if you've already run the previous OS and Cydia's managed to cache these things called SHSH blobs.

Basically, a while back, apple starting "Verifying" every restore with their servers, so when you try to restore, it calls home with your iDevice's serial number and gets back an encrypted key that tells itunes whether it's ok to restore to that OS or not.

If you've run Cydia on the older OS, the dev put in some code that pulled out the special response-key and stored it to his server, that way you can restore back.

tl'dr: No you can't downgrade an iPhone 4 or an upgraded 3GS

As far as reasons to jailbreak 4.0, mainly, I have an iPod Touch 2G so it lets me enable the multitasking. I run Music Controls(Swipe controls on the lockscreen among other features), DTunes(if my home internet's shit and I need to torrent something on the go), some apps that make good use of the lack of restrictions on hooks(Flashlight, it automatically brings up the brightness to full while it runs), SBSettings(Controls for Bluetooh+Wifi+Brightness from any app), I hide stupid built in apps like Stocks with SBSettings, finally, I made a whole bunch of tweaks to make everything run faster in general.

Depending on what exactly goes wrong with your iPhone, as long as you can DFU and restore it to a non-jailbroken OS, Apple won't know the difference, so it kinda coids out your warranty but they won't know any better. There are only 3 actual ways to brick an iDevice, and you have to pretty much specifically try to type in a string of commands into mobile terminal to do it.

P.S.

SonderKommando wrote:

rammunition wrote:

If you can find it and install it without bricking the phone. or wait... itll get hacked soon enough.  I was able to downgrade firmware once, Put the device in recovery mode and then restore through itunes.  I forgot how to be able to choose the firmware version, google it.
You hold down OPTION (on a Mac) or SHIFT (PC) and click the Restore button in iTunes, it lets you browse to find your older/jailbroken OS file. (See above about SHSH blobs though.)

Last edited by TheDonkey (2010-07-22 01:18:34)

Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

TheDonkey wrote:

At this point, the only way to downgrade an iPhone/ipod is if you've already run the previous OS and Cydia's managed to cache these things called SHSH blobs.

Basically, a while back, apple starting "Verifying" every restore with their servers, so when you try to restore, it calls home with your iDevice's serial number and gets back an encrypted key that tells itunes whether it's ok to restore to that OS or not.

If you've run Cydia on the older OS, the dev put in some code that pulled out the special response-key and stored it to his server, that way you can restore back.

tl'dr: No you can't downgrade an iPhone 4 or an upgraded 3GS
Untrue (for upgraded 3GS - it is true for iPhone 4).

TheDonkey wrote:

As far as reasons to jailbreak 4.0, mainly, I have an iPod Touch 2G so it lets me enable the multitasking. I run Music Controls(Swipe controls on the lockscreen among other features), DTunes(if my home internet's shit and I need to torrent something on the go), some apps that make good use of the lack of restrictions on hooks(Flashlight, it automatically brings up the brightness to full while it runs), SBSettings(Controls for Bluetooh+Wifi+Brightness from any app), I hide stupid built in apps like Stocks with SBSettings, finally, I made a whole bunch of tweaks to make everything run faster in general.

Depending on what exactly goes wrong with your iPhone, as long as you can DFU and restore it to a non-jailbroken OS, Apple won't know the difference, so it kinda coids out your warranty but they won't know any better. There are only 3 actual ways to brick an iDevice, and you have to pretty much specifically try to type in a string of commands into mobile terminal to do it.
Untrue. In lots of ways.

But then it's really easy to unbrick them.
TheDonkey
Eat my bearrrrrrrrrrr, Tonighttt
+163|5716|Vancouver, BC, Canada
I'm talking about a true brick that you can't get out of. Yes, there are a bunch of things you can do where iTunes won't restore or won't recognize it so you have to go into DFU mode or force it into DFU with a command from the computer. But if you put in a full memory wipe command, it will wipe everything including the bootloader so pushing the power button or plugging in the cable won't have an actual action associated with it, thus bricked.
I'm trying to find source, will post later.
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6580|SE London

TheDonkey wrote:

I'm talking about a true brick that you can't get out of. Yes, there are a bunch of things you can do where iTunes won't restore or won't recognize it so you have to go into DFU mode or force it into DFU with a command from the computer. But if you put in a full memory wipe command, it will wipe everything including the bootloader so pushing the power button or plugging in the cable won't have an actual action associated with it, thus bricked.
I'm trying to find source, will post later.
Go ahead. I don't suspect it'll be relevant, but am curious to see.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard