Poll

Your opinion of police?

Dickheads.16%16% - 21
Alright people.32%32% - 40
Depends.51%51% - 64
Total: 125
Choclot
+21|6512
As a Policing student, I hear alot of mixed reviews when it comes to police. Some people think they are upholders of the law and all that bullshit whilst others think they serve no other purpose than to bust you. What do you think? Why do you think this?

I believe it depends on the character of the officer. Some are power hungry nutjobs who use their role as a stress relief whilst others are normal people just doing a job. Most of the officers I know are normal people who have nothing out against the world and nearly every other policing student I know is just a normal person, not to mention good hearted people. 

Have your say!
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6684|US
Depends.

There are jerks in every field.  Law enforcement is no different.
I try not to take offense at officers who are "short" with people.  They face some nasty people on a regular basis, and often tailor their behaviors to suit dealing with people who may or may not be decent.

I take it you are going into LE?  I'll give you one of the best pieces of advice I've ever heard.  "Don't be an asshole."
Good luck and stay safe.

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2010-07-20 00:32:10)

Choclot
+21|6512
No Im going into the New South Wales Police...Sydney, Australia. And I can tell you I treat every one fairly and Im not an asshole but the second some one attacks me they are going to feel it. Good thing about Australian police is that we dont have to worry about guns as much as American cops do.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
i don't dig the police.

i don't dig their motivations to become one, psychologically, nor the way they conduct themselves.

the law is a great set of ideals but it is implemented with one tragic flaw - other human people.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6242
Well, our cops shoot up kids. Enough said.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6076|eXtreme to the maX
I believe it depends on the character of the officer. Some are power hungry nutjobs who use their role as a stress relief whilst others are normal people just doing a job.
This really, the nutjobs seem to rise to the top however, and when in positions of equal authority tend to dominate the 'normal people' in the service.

Power tends to go to the heads of a lot of those who join the fuzz, and the opportunities for corruption are immense.
They get to the point they believe their opinion IS the law.

Last edited by Dilbert_X (2010-07-20 01:14:18)

Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686
Useless (only in Taiwan lel)
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
KuSTaV
noice
+947|6481|Gold Coast
I dont think I've seen a cop that was an asshole.
noice                                                                                                        https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/26774/awsmsanta.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
i think the authority-role psychology of law-enforcement both attracts a certain 'type' and then further fosters/promotes/encourages that 'type+1'.

it takes a certain sort of person to want to be a police-officer and that's... well... exactly what you get.

as i said the law as a set of moral, social, ethical and economical principles is fantastic. using people to implement it always has drawbacks.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6554|England
ACAB tbh.
"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6205|S.A. Australia
In oz, most of the cops you encounter are pretty good, because all the ones who don't know how to work the street properly get promoted.

This is why the force is such a shambles here (well in Victoria at least...)
Serious Flex
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6100|Carnoustie MASSIF
Comin straight from the underground
Young nigga got it bad cuz I'm brown
And not the other color so police think
They have the authority to kill a minority
The oldest chav in the world
+2,423|6643|Cardiff, Capital of Wales
I dont like them cos they take my Ganj off me
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6189|Phoenix, AZ
Some cops are fucked up people, some cops are okay.

Just the other day, me and my friend pulled up next to a cop at a turn. We weren't doing anything wrong (glad we weren't). Anyway were looking for this wal mart and this cop starts following us, he follows us, tailgaiting, waiting for us to do something wrong so we can get pulled over. Well we don't do anything wrong, and get to wal mart about 15 minutes later after driving through the backstreets. We park out in public and this cop stops his cruiser in the middle of the parking lot lane and runs up to us asking us these ridiculous questions. Anyway, we start walking off and he's yelling to us in front of like 15 people "If you guys aren't doing anything wrong then why don't you answer my questions?? huh?!" then he started looking all in our car with his flashlight, looking in the wheel welds, checking out the ENTIRE CAR. When we came out of wal mart he was with another cop and just stared at us as we drove off.

In my experience, police have always made me feel uncomfortable. They harass me, and aren't looking out for my best interests when I am doing nothing wrong.

Even my parents hate cops with a passion, and they are law abiding tax payers...
Metal-Eater-GR
+490|6242
Maybe you look like a drug dealer or mafia leader, godfather
Choclot
+21|6512
I guess it also depends on that certain society and the police policing it. Like, for example, it seems the LAPD isnt very well respected but the NSW Police force gets along fine with people...and Im not sure about other forces but our cops have the opportunity to do policing through university which is a 3 year course rather than a 6 month course, thats the one im doing. The cops with the book smarts raise the ranks way faster over here which is good because the top orders come from people who have learnt how to deal with trouble in a non violent way. For example we have learnt to always assess the situation for what it is rather than making assumptions.
Metal-Eater-GR
+490|6242
tbh most policemen start their career with the best of intentions and moral principles, but as time passes by, they become more corrupt. It's not like they were that kind of people from the start, it's just the nature of their job and the shit they have to deal with everyday that degrades them.
-Whiteroom-
Pineapplewhat
+572|6629|BC, Canada
I rate them as I deal with them. Their work is necessary, and they have to deal with dickheads everyday, I can see how that would turn some people into assholes.
presidentsheep
Back to the Fuhrer
+208|5931|Places 'n such
As individuals, they're normal human beings just doing a job, and like with any other job there's employees that are assholes and those who are good.

As an institution on the other hand, i generally disagree with its methods, partly the governments fault partly the police.
I'd type my pc specs out all fancy again but teh mods would remove it. Again.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6691|Sydney, Australia

Choclot wrote:

No Im going into the New South Wales Police...Sydney, Australia. And I can tell you I treat every one fairly and Im not an asshole but the second some one attacks me they are going to feel it. Good thing about Australian police is that we dont have to worry about guns as much as American cops do.
Where about in Sydney?

Also, I like our cops..
Little BaBy JESUS
m8
+394|6119|'straya
Depends... In my opinion Its all about the individual, however, the job seems to a attract certain type. But I've met arsehole cops and awesome cops. That said, the worst thing i've got from an arsehole cop is only a bad attitude
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

mcminty wrote:

Choclot wrote:

Where about in Sydney?

Also, I like our cops..
Aussie cops are nice people, really friendly and helpful. Taiwanese cops think they're the shit when they are so fucking incompetent.

Edit: Funny enough the Taiwanese SWAT today are pretty good...

Last edited by Cybargs (2010-07-20 03:05:35)

https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Nordemus
BC2 plat: CG, GL, M60, Mortar, Knife
+60|5967
Acab

Last edited by Nordemus (2010-07-20 03:04:04)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440

Cybargs wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Choclot wrote:

Where about in Sydney?

Also, I like our cops..
Aussie cops are nice people, really friendly and helpful. Taiwanese cops think they're the shit when they are so fucking incompetent.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iwdco1qbPo

how the fuck did that guy survive so many bullets at the end through the windshield? bullet-proof?

and how come your cops are allowed to use such 'extreme' methods at road-side stops, anyway?

i mean like... even trying to shoot out tires. wouldn't happen in the UK.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

Uzique wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Where about in Sydney?

Also, I like our cops..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Iwdco1qbPo

how the fuck did that guy survive so many bullets at the end through the windshield? bullet-proof?

and how come your cops are allowed to use such 'extreme' methods at road-side stops, anyway?

i mean like... even trying to shoot out tires. wouldn't happen in the UK.
Taiwan used to be a dictatorship, lots of roadblocks and cops armed with full auto M16s. Apparently Cops are allowed to shoot if a driver doesn't stop after about 3 warnings =/ Fucked up thing is they couldn't even shoot out the tires, but got a headshot in the end.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard