Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
i think that's to do with the casual acceptance of gun-culture in every day american life.

a piece of legislature or a case-precedent like that would be overturned in a second by the judiciary here in england.

there is an added aspect of risk and 'reasonability' in america where the expectation for a person to be armed-and-dangerous is perfectly accepted and within 'reason'. here in england the chances of somebody burglarizing your property with a gun or lethal weapon are slim-to-none: and accordingly the punishments for 'aggravated' property-offences (i.e. robbing, burglarizing, mugging with a weapon and personal threat involved) are significantly more severe as a deterrent.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-07-10 10:04:45)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
mikkel
+383|6600

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I did some more reading and apparently he never mentioned the 'attempted to run him over' thing in the police report.

I agree that shooting a thief might be extreme, but that would be very easily avoided if people just wouldn't do shit like stealing.
Or, you know, if people wouldn't do stuff like shooting thieves. Blaming a poor voluntary response to a situation on the situation itself just doesn't make sense. Like people said, it's about taking responsibility.

Last edited by mikkel (2010-07-10 12:46:53)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6735|Oxferd Ohire

mikkel wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

I did some more reading and apparently he never mentioned the 'attempted to run him over' thing in the police report.

I agree that shooting a thief might be extreme, but that would be very easily avoided if people just wouldn't do shit like stealing.
Or, you know, if people wouldn't do stuff like shooting thieves.
and possibly let you stuff be gone forever. just shoot them ffs. i wouldnt cry if any of my friends were shot stealing some guys trailer. serves em right the fuckers
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6469
that's not quite how justice works, sorry. justice seeks to right the wrongs and restore equality and peace... not to lash out with some revanchist 'fuck you!' to the criminal.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
jord
+2,382|6676|The North, beyond the wall.
Lesson is if you shoot someone on your property or nearby then get rid of the evidence cause the legal system isn't on you side. You're gonna do it anyway to protect yourself and family, so it's win win.
Monkey Spanker
Show it to the nice monkey.
+284|6250|England
In the UK you can shoot a person attempting a crime on your property if you deem that your life is in peril. That means for instance say a burglar came at you with a knife screaming I'm gonna kill you then you may defend yourself with appropriate force BUT if the burglar is running away then you MAY NOT attack that person, it then becomes assault/murder.

The only reason I know this is because I had to do a 2 day course on active & passive restraints run by the Police & they went through all the scenarios where force may be used against an assailant & when to high tail it & call the Police. They were very specific about about returning force & if your life is in peril you may use possibly fatal means to defend yourself.
Quote of the year so far "Fifa 11 on the other hand... shiny things for mongos "-mtb0minime
https://bf3s.com/sigs/f30415b2d1cff840176cce816dc76d89a7929bb0.png
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6527|Global Command
Gary Owen
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5177|Sydney
@Monkey Spanker: I daresay the laws are similar if not there same here in Aus.

Uzique wrote:

i think that's to do with the casual acceptance of gun-culture in every day american life.

a piece of legislature or a case-precedent like that would be overturned in a second by the judiciary here in england.

there is an added aspect of risk and 'reasonability' in america where the expectation for a person to be armed-and-dangerous is perfectly accepted and within 'reason'. here in england the chances of somebody burglarizing your property with a gun or lethal weapon are slim-to-none: and accordingly the punishments for 'aggravated' property-offences (i.e. robbing, burglarizing, mugging with a weapon and personal threat involved) are significantly more severe as a deterrent.
Same here in Australia.
People who own guns here go to shooting ranges or are farmers.
The likelihood of having your home invaded or being mugged on the street by someone with a gun are extremely low. When it does happen it makes national news because it is so rare.

Uzique wrote:

that's not quite how justice works, sorry. justice seeks to right the wrongs and restore equality and peace... not to lash out with some revanchist 'fuck you!' to the criminal.
True, but a lot of people think the justice system is there to seek vengeance.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5235|Cleveland, Ohio

Jaekus wrote:

Same here in Australia.
The likelihood of having your home invaded or being mugged on the street by someone with a gun are extremely low. When it does happen it makes national news because it is so rare.
well when your entire countries population is the size of one of our cities...........meh
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney

11 Bravo wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Same here in Australia.
well when your entire countries population is the size of one of our cities...........meh
21 million people?

Other countries with populations around 100 million don't have 1/50th of the US' gun problems.
11 Bravo
Banned

Jaekus wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

Same here in Australia.
21 million people?
yes.
Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney

11 Bravo wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

21 million people?
yes.
No. Not by half.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Un … population
11 Bravo
Banned

Jaekus wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

21 million people?
yes.
No. Not by half.

well whatever.......add 3 cities up then.

i heard NY once..guess they meant the state.

Last edited by 11 Bravo (2010-07-10 14:46:50)

Jaekus
+957|5177|Sydney

11 Bravo wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

yes.
No. Not by half.

The 6 biggest cities, but I agree it is beside the point.
11 Bravo
Banned
not rly.  yall have less people crammed into one spot.
Macbeth
Banned
+2,444|5584

11 Bravo wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

yes.
No. Not by half.

Metro New York has about 19 million people. Meaning the city and the area around it that it has considerable influence as well as commuters into it from has a population of 19 million.

So yeah anyway.

Isn't first degree murder premeditated or with malicious intent or something? Total bullshit but whatever.
11 Bravo
Banned
maybe thats what i heard.  so, there you go, jake.
krazed
Admiral of the Bathtub
+619|6778|Great Brown North
so if someone tries to run over a cop, the cop can shoot them as the vehicle is a weapon

if someone tries to run over a civilian, the civilian is expected to get run over and wait patiently for the police to show up... so they can fill out a report
11 Bravo
Banned

krazed wrote:

so if someone tries to run over a cop, the cop can shoot them as the vehicle is a weapon

if someone tries to run over a civilian, the civilian is expected to get run over and wait patiently for the police to show up... so they can fill out a report
yes for gods sake that makes perfect sense you gun loving nut
ghettoperson
+1,943|6648

Macbeth wrote:

11 Bravo wrote:

Metro New York has about 19 million people. Meaning the city and the area around it that it has considerable influence as well as commuters into it from has a population of 19 million.

So yeah anyway.

Isn't first degree murder premeditated or with malicious intent or something? Total bullshit but whatever.
Regardless of whether you think he was right to shoot the dude, this. How can that be considered first degree murder?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6547|San Diego, CA, USA
Exactly...first degree murder requires premeditation and preparation.  Even a drunk would get Manslaughter which is the unintentionally killing someone.

What state is this?  Will the Governor of that state commute the guy sentence?
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6484|England
I love the American constitution and the second amendment its fucking great, never let you're government take it away from you lads...
11 Bravo
Banned
are you taking a piss?
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6547|San Diego, CA, USA

LostFate wrote:

I love the American constitution and the second amendment its fucking great, never let you're government take it away from you lads...
They almost did in the last decision by the Supreme Court...it was 5/4.  And when Obama gets a couple of more of his liberial leaning justices (i.e. Kagan), it could definitively swing the court the other way.

Elections matter...and boy have we been reminded of that most recently.
RAIMIUS
You with the face!
+244|6713|US
Normally, "Castle Laws" only allow home owners to assume burglers may pose a serious threat to them, thus allowing lethal force to be used.  It does not allow you to go chasing people onto the next property to shoot them!

Also, the Denver area is quite different than most of the rest of Colorado.  Denver even got an exception to firearms laws, where every other place in the state has to follow the state code, IIRC!

Harmor wrote:

LostFate wrote:

They almost did in the last decision by the Supreme Court...it was 5/4.  And when Obama gets a couple of more of his liberial leaning justices (i.e. Kagan), it could definitively swing the court the other way.

Elections matter...and boy have we been reminded of that most recently.
Kagan will replace a liberal justice.  The general view of the court will not likely shift very much.
That said, the voting in both the Heller and McDonald cases is quite scary.  We were one person's opinion away from destroying part of our Bill of Rights!

Last edited by RAIMIUS (2010-07-10 19:06:57)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard