Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS
Yeah um detonating a nuke like that... that's not something I wouldn't want to do in a great rush. I would seriously think that one through, geological consequences etc.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Reciprocity
+721|6573|the dank(super) side of Oregon

Diesel_dyk wrote:

When they say nuke it, they don't mean putting a bomb on top of the well like they used to do to blow out fires on rigs on land.
People were saying "nuke it" months ago, as though it would magically solve the problem.  If they're drilling down far enough to plug the bastard, why bother with blowing anything up?  Is there even a warhead small enough to fit down a relief well with an adequate yield?
Phrozenbot
+632|6608|do not disturb

Poseidon wrote:

Harmor wrote:

BP may very well go bankrupt.  I think if that happens then that is enough incentive to other companies to not be lax on safety.
Pretty sure they said that about the Valdez disaster too.

Enough time passes and companies begin to not give a shit again.

Stricter regulations are required to stop this from happening ever again.
Ever happening again? You have too much faith in the government.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
+605|6540|San Diego, CA, USA
Day 82
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5986|Truthistan

Reciprocity wrote:

Diesel_dyk wrote:

When they say nuke it, they don't mean putting a bomb on top of the well like they used to do to blow out fires on rigs on land.
People were saying "nuke it" months ago, as though it would magically solve the problem.  If they're drilling down far enough to plug the bastard, why bother with blowing anything up?  Is there even a warhead small enough to fit down a relief well with an adequate yield?
From what I've been reading and seeing on TV, it doesn't look hopeful that drilling down to plug the well will work, although it is supposed to be last shot at stopping the leak. after that all that can be done is attach somethig to the well head and bring the oil into production or nuke it.

I posted earlier about some experts on CNBC who basically said that in order for the drill down and plug to work there has to be steel casing left down there in the bottom of the well. Apparrently they did an x-ray or sonagram at the top of the well and on the blow out preventer and found that the casing fromt he bottom of the well was blown out. So there is nothing left down there and so the drill down and plug is going to fail and they already know that.

The other problem is that its been estimated that the pressure in the well is 100,000 psi and there is supposed to be no equipment capable of handling that pressure. That's why it blew out. What the drill down and nuke solution is supposed to do is melt the rock above the reservor and turn it into a giant glass plug. In order to nuke it, they will have to build a bomb that will fit down the well hole, which is why I thought that its intersting that Los Alamos labs was being consulted... and yes I realize that they do more than just nukes.

Now that being said, I wouldn't care if they did something like an underground nuclear test or something like they have down int he past because the risk to safety is nil. But on this one, if they screw up the nuke and crack the layers of rock lying above the reservor which is under high pressure, the whole thing might blow out. And in the original OP there is an article that talks about how a sudden release of pressure on the oil reservor might cause the frozen methyl hydrates that's located down there on the oil reservor to be suddenly released and cause giant expanding gas bubble displacing water as it rises resulting in huge tsunami. If that happens the enitre gulf coast will be destroyed. And since I live right on the coast, I will be taking a little inland vacation on the day they decide to set off the nuke.

Who knows, may be its a dem plot to kill most of the red states in one blow, or may be its final coup de gras on the American economy by the one worlders who want a single world currency and cap and trade. OR may be this will simply be the worst engineering failure in human history, it will kill millions and leave us with a dead sea on our third coast, that will be a real testament to the reaganomic mantra of "no red tape." Oh yah, and if this ends in disaster, it will have been PBO's call and PBO will own it right into his impeachment.
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
If they drilled a hole next to the well head into the bedrock and THEN blew up a nuke (or large bomb), that would melt the rock that'll work.  I think that should at least be considered.  And if its works (perhaps testing at university labs or computer animations), we need to keep this in our arsenal when this happens again.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5350|London, England
Harmor: It would be nice if you actually understood the opinion pieces you copy/paste here. Do you know what function the Jones Act accomplishes? While it's certainly protectionist to a certain degree, so is any form of immigration control. Would you be in favor of trucking and railroad corporations importing Indian and Mexican workers and allowing them to evade minimum wage laws? Nevermind the safety aspect of having untrained workers operating on our roads and railways... Well, the Jones Act essentially accomplishes the same goal for our shipping industry. All it states is that any vessel traveling between two American ports has to be American flagged and American crewed. Considering coastal and inland waterway shipping all occurs within the legal boundaries of the United States and is subject to American laws, it is essentially the same as any other industry. Don't let people who are trying to score political points against Obama to cloud your judgement. While unions do represent mariners in the north and on the west coast, the same Right to Work laws apply off the southern coast as they do on land.

So, unless you're pro-illegal immigration and sweatshops, you should be pro-Jones Act as well. I prefer having tankers and ITBs running up and down our coast with American crews, with the insurance and training requirements that are universal to all American flagged vessels rather than Indian or Filipino crewed vessels potentially causing hazards. If one of those underinsured vessels ever did have a major accident, do you honestly think US citizens would have any recourse in seeking reparations? It would be as bad a situation as what led Somali's to turn to piracy.

Diesel: I used to think you were a rather intelligent and insightful person. Now you quote deranged, and frankly retarded, opinion pieces from MSNBC. It would be nice if you would get back to rational thought rather than quoting fear mongering stupidity. Your opinion piece on businesses holding onto a trillion dollars in cash to spite the Obama administration was as tin-foil hattish as anything ATG has ever posted here.

Getting opinions on economic matters from MSNBC is like asking a lifelong atheist to explain the intricacies of Catholicism or asking a blind man to describe what the Mona Lisa looks like.

Last edited by JohnG@lt (2010-07-11 08:32:46)

"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Harmor: It would be nice if you actually understood the opinion pieces you copy/paste here. Do you know what function the Jones Act accomplishes? While it's certainly protectionist to a certain degree, so is any form of immigration control. Would you be in favor of trucking and railroad corporations importing Indian and Mexican workers and allowing them to evade minimum wage laws? Nevermind the safety aspect of having untrained workers operating on our roads and railways... Well, the Jones Act essentially accomplishes the same goal for our shipping industry. All it states is that any vessel traveling between two American ports has to be American flagged and American crewed. Considering coastal and inland waterway shipping all occurs within the legal boundaries of the United States and is subject to American laws, it is essentially the same as any other industry. Don't let people who are trying to score political points against Obama to cloud your judgement. While unions do represent mariners in the north and on the west coast, the same Right to Work laws apply off the southern coast as they do on land.

So, unless you're pro-illegal immigration and sweatshops, you should be pro-Jones Act as well. I prefer having tankers and ITBs running up and down our coast with American crews, with the insurance and training requirements that are universal to all American flagged vessels rather than Indian or Filipino crewed vessels potentially causing hazards. If one of those underinsured vessels ever did have a major accident, do you honestly think US citizens would have any recourse in seeking reparations? It would be as bad a situation as what led Somali's to turn to piracy.

Diesel: I used to think you were a rather intelligent and insightful person. Now you quote deranged, and frankly retarded, opinion pieces from MSNBC. It would be nice if you would get back to rational thought rather than quoting fear mongering stupidity. Your opinion piece on businesses holding onto a billion dollars in cash to spite the Obama administration was as tin-foil hattish as anything ATG has ever posted here.
welcome back.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

welcome back.
Miss me?
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
+874|6667|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Spark wrote:

welcome back.
Miss me?
twas getting monotonous, just harmor ctrl-c/v's and lowing... well, being lowing.
~ Richard Feynman
Diesel_dyk
Object in mirror will feel larger than it appears
+178|5986|Truthistan

JohnG@lt wrote:

Diesel: I used to think you were a rather intelligent and insightful person. Now you quote deranged, and frankly retarded, opinion pieces from MSNBC. It would be nice if you would get back to rational thought rather than quoting fear mongering stupidity. Your opinion piece on businesses holding onto a trillion dollars in cash to spite the Obama administration was as tin-foil hattish as anything ATG has ever posted here.

Getting opinions on economic matters from MSNBC is like asking a lifelong atheist to explain the intricacies of Catholicism or asking a blind man to describe what the Mona Lisa looks like.
You nit, that was CNBC... you know.... the Consumer News and Business Channel. with the people who supposed to be rational and sane. I don't even get MSNBC and even if I did I would watch it as often as I watch FOX which is about two seconds at a time when my fingers slip on the remote. Anyway I hope you're right and that this is just fear mongering and that this disaster will be limited to killing the fisheries and wildlife and that the leak would be contained. My preference would be that they cap the thing and bring all that nice oil to shore to help decrease the price of oil, but I think they would rather stop the well than decrease oil prices. but still watch the video...

PS off topic but there is nothing wrong with calling corporations holding of $1.8 trillion in cash a capital strike... that's assuming that unions and strikes are still bad for the economy so why not use that think tank spin to get the point across. Its happened before, don't like the congress or the president, don't like the policies, don't like the tax regime, then stop investing and wait for your own guys to return to power. Well, its either a capital strike, or a sure sign that businesses see the influence of the stimulus waning and an imminent return to deflation. BTW its not a double dip, its still a downward trend blunted and bouyed by stimulus money... but this is off track for this thread... post replies in the double dip is imminent thread.

Last edited by Diesel_dyk (2010-07-11 10:10:59)

Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Lifting the Jone's Act would had allowed skimmer ships like 'The Whale' from Taiwan to operate in U.S. waters much earlier in this disaster.

Sad that we didn't take the help of other nations initially.  Did Obama do it because he didn't think we need it?  Did he do it because he wanted to perpetuate the disaster (i.e. blame big oil and use the momentum to pass 'cap and tax')?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

Lifting the Jone's Act would had allowed skimmer ships like 'The Whale' from Taiwan to operate in U.S. waters much earlier in this disaster.

Sad that we didn't take the help of other nations initially.  Did Obama do it because he didn't think we need it?  Did he do it because he wanted to perpetuate the disaster (i.e. blame big oil and use the momentum to pass 'cap and tax')?
Or, he didn't do it because it was unnecessary and would've needlessly increased the cost of the cleanup.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
harmor is funny but its sad because he's not trying to be
Tu Stultus Es
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

JohnG@lt wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Or, he didn't do it because it was unnecessary and would've needlessly increased the cost of the cleanup.
Increased the cost?  When the other nations offered to help where they going to send us or BP a bill?
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom
you realize the jones act was unneccesary because of the location of the site of the disaster.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

eleven bravo wrote:

There's just as many, if not more, people on the left who are completely braindead too.
-Frederick Bastiat
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Increased the cost?  When the other nations offered to help where they going to send us or BP a bill?
harmor, why didnt you say something about the jones act 82 days before?  you just pull up what drudge posts and pass it off as your own opinions.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Yes. Fuck BP. Force it to go bankrupt paying for the cleanup out of spite, and fuck the British government while we're at it too. They're shitty allies who haven't helped us in every single war for the past hundred years...
-Frederick Bastiat
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

eleven bravo wrote:

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

harmor, why didnt you say something about the jones act 82 days before?  you just pull up what drudge posts and pass it off as your own opinions.
Actually the first time I mentioned it was 3 weeks ago:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id … 2#p3207911

I thought I did earlier but couldn't find it.  "Searched for `jones act` by `Harmor`
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

Harmor wrote:

Actually the first time I mentioned it was 3 weeks ago:
http://forums.bf2s.com/viewtopic.php?id … 2#p3207911

I thought I did earlier but couldn't find it.  "Searched for `jones act` by `Harmor`
Question still remains. Would you want the government or American corporations to bring in foreign workers on shore?
-Frederick Bastiat
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found

JohnG@lt wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

There's just as many, if not more, people on the left who are completely braindead too.
If you are attacking the messenger instead of the message that must mean I won the argument or made a good point that can't be refuted with a fact or counter point?   Or is the point I made correct and you don't want to admit you agree so you josh me instead?

No worries, I don't take it personally.  I'm pretty thick skinned.  You should see the PMs, Karmas, flames I get for my opinion.  It comes with the territory - I mean we're on the Internet behind anonymous avatars - this is what we should expect.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5251|foggy bottom

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

If you are attacking the messenger instead of the message that must mean I won the argument or made a good point that can't be refuted with a fact or counter point?   Or is the point I made correct and you don't want to admit you agree so you josh me instead?

No worries, I don't take it personally.  I'm pretty thick skinned.  You should see the PMs, Karmas, flames I get for my opinion.  It comes with the territory - I mean we're on the Internet behind anonymous avatars - this is what we should expect.
the point has been addressed, yet you choose to reply to this message.
Tu Stultus Es
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Harmor wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

That's the thing though, they aren't your opinions. I'm only attacking the messenger to the extent that I could read www.foxnews.com and read the exact same points that you make in every post. You haven't shown an ability to do anything more than regurgitate what other people have told you to think and say. Since the news agencies that you choose to be the mouthpiece for aren't bound by the need to maintain a logical and consistent viewpoint, it shows up in what you choose to copy/paste here as well. The overriding desire for the news agencies that you quote is not to report facts, but to score political points among those that hate Obama and Democrats at large because it sells ad space and gives them a consistent audience.

So, what you get is a bunch of people who claim to hate big government expanding the myth that government is omnipotent and granting Obama powers that he doesn't actually possess. He can't wave his magic wand and make the oil spill go away and he should be blamed for the spill itself and the resultant cleanup as much as Bush should've been blamed for Katrina. i.e. not at all.

I've come to despise politics and politically slanted reporting in general. It doesn't matter if the source is right wing or left wing, neither side tries to paint a rational and consistent picture, just whatever is expedient for the day.
-Frederick Bastiat
Harmor
Error_Name_Not_Found
Let's not derail the thread.  I understand your point.

As for the disaster that originally happended on April 20th...that's 82 days, or 11 weeks and 5 days (almost 3 months).

The latest news is that they could have the hole plugged up by Monday according to Fox News.

Here's a good timeline from the start of the Disaster to June 2nd.

So if the cap doesn't work or the relief wells don't work, why are we still NOT considering nuking the well?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard