RadeonII
+1|6783
I just dont get how a commander in a jet or heli can do what a commander is there to do?  I hate when i see them in a jet most of all. I got my one and only ban from a server for bitching ( crying ) about it . we lost 3 rounds in a row with the same commander so i asked if maybe the reason  we cant win a round is becasue our commander is not commanding. next thing i know i BANNED  lol  oh well
JaMDuDe
+69|6785
im banned from most servers but i can command in a  plane or helo
Mubbly
+0|6773
The only reason a commander should fly on anything other then a 16 player map is if the main base he's camping at is being taken by the OPFOR and he needs to relocate. What server was that? I wanna know so I never play on it...
divided
Clear!
+3|6781
I see this all the time.
Mubbly
+0|6773

JaMDuDe wrote:

Why would you want to? Please explain this to me?
MattCicioni
+1|6837|Arizona

JaMDuDe wrote:

My ass you can command from a plane....

https://bf2s.com/player/44224863/sig.png
https://bf2s.com/player/44224863/sig5.png
https://bf2s.com/player/44224863/awards.jpg
dan500
+57|6855
I hate this, i think there should be something that dont let comm' enter planes.

Just my 2 cents
RadeonII
+1|6783
i agree if youre the commander you shouldnt be able to play.
ISIK_Dark
+0|6847|Pueblo

RadeonII wrote:

i agree if youre the commander you shouldnt be able to play.
They should be able to play but should only do so if it is ABSOLUTLY necessary!!!! 

e.g.  One time on wake island I was commander and my squads just would not follow any orders and we lost all the control points  but the enemy couldn't find me.  So I had to sneak over to the flag on our main base and recapture it so my team would have somewhere to spawn in.  after that I resigned my spot as commander and left the server.  It is very frustrating to try to command a team that will not follow orders.
nayo450
+-1|6801
how about not piloting the craft? like riding in transport helo. to get a better arial view, of the battle field
dshak
+4|6821
you don't need a better view of the battlefield, you can see the whole thing right down to UAV, Sat Scan, and even standard zoom on any part of the map at any time.

Sorry, don't buy that one. If you ARE using your altitude while in a chopper to view the battlefield, then that just means you don't have the command screen up, which means you really aren't doing your job.

Last edited by dshak (2005-10-21 21:56:56)

Whitegreek
Sniping with the pistol...
+4|6854
I command on the Helo or Blackhawk from time to time, its not hard, I usually ask a pilot where they're landing and I get a lift from them, they circulate the map and I command from there while getting a kill once in a while.
As long as your not actually flying or driving a commander can use what ever veichle he/she likes. Its just people are so dumb they don't know how to do both and they camp thinking that it's going to do wonders for them. If you want to campa dn be commander, at least be sniper, get a good spot and take a kill once in a while.
The idea of a FIELD commander is that he runs around, racking in kills, securing flag sites and working it as a team!! Otherwise just proning yourself at the aircraft carrier and using the command screen all the time really defeats the purpose of TEAMWORK.
I find that people often are more likely to help you and work with you if yort on the field, getting kills, saving people, and giving some cover fire than someone who hides away and play on their little screen.
although I've only really been commander once in essence that how a commander should act.
(EWC)Zenine
Zibst3rZ
+1|6778

Whitegreek wrote:

I command on the Helo or Blackhawk from time to time, its not hard, I usually ask a pilot where they're landing and I get a lift from them, they circulate the map and I command from there while getting a kill once in a while.
As long as your not actually flying or driving a commander can use what ever veichle he/she likes. Its just people are so dumb they don't know how to do both and they camp thinking that it's going to do wonders for them. If you want to campa dn be commander, at least be sniper, get a good spot and take a kill once in a while.
The idea of a FIELD commander is that he runs around, racking in kills, securing flag sites and working it as a team!! Otherwise just proning yourself at the aircraft carrier and using the command screen all the time really defeats the purpose of TEAMWORK.
I find that people often are more likely to help you and work with you if yort on the field, getting kills, saving people, and giving some cover fire than someone who hides away and play on their little screen.
although I've only really been commander once in essence that how a commander should act.
W3LL S41D
chitlin
Banned
+36|6771
i dont agree i think its lame that almost all commanders have to go and hide somewhere when its not necessary. or better yet the retards that take a tank or something and the just sit there in commander mode never using it. a commander that fights is a deadly weapon. a tank that can uav whever it goes and drop supplies when it takes damage is very effective. ive been top score, most kills,  while commanding  plenty of times ..supporting my team contantly.

the bottom line is that commanding is niether so critical that it makes or breaks your team nor is it some dificult routine that requires total attention. doing a uav every time its refreshed its very easy to do. dropping supplies when asked is very simple to do. i generally would say that flying an airplane while commaning is lame but i could easily point my plane up or hover in the chopper and give someone a uav or supples without crashing. you cant do scans and spot for folks while flying but thats not as important as the others.
Whitegreek
Sniping with the pistol...
+4|6854
It plays a big role in how well your team does. I've have a string of good commanders and a heap of bad ones. The best thing was playing with a guy who knew how to do it right. I was a squad leader. I called for the squad to regroup, he gave us the scan at request. I quickly gave him some cover and he gave me some cover, before the 2 times he got 75 and I got 40 because he helped eachother.

Commanders belong on the field fighting wiht their troops!
chitlin
Banned
+36|6771
sure a good commander helps and is a good  thing but saying our comander sucks and thats why our team lost is bs. how many times have you beat another team not having a commander at all... its not that critical
YoBabysDaddy
+31|6832|St. Louis, MO
If your gun is needed in the field while commanding your team sucks wich unfortunatly hapens often.It just sucks when some asshole is pissing away a usefull asset.Probablly trying to meet some dumb ass badge reqiurement.
Tigg@lot
noob on tour
+1|6782|NRW,Germany
Normally when I´m commanding I search me a nice spot on the main base to camp as an engineer. Most of the time I´m in Commander screen to scan for enemies using either sat scan or zoom that are not inside the UAV range. If some enemy SpecOp manages to destroy my assets I chase him down and start reparing the asset until some other engineer from my team finishes the job or I have a supply drop that nobody really needs.
If the main base is cappable and nobody is around I try my best to prevent to protect it myself but as long as someone is around I keep hidden directing and spotting the enemy.

Commanders that fight at the frontlines in my opinion are useless as they are busy trying to survive instead of placing arty strikes or UAVs in other places that might be more important.
When commanding from the front you are focused on one spot. If this spot is the main combat zone and other bases are merely undefended you won´t place an UAV there to support a 4 man squad to take it as you want to survive and so you place it in your surrounding.

Last edited by Tigg@lot (2005-10-22 04:49:50)

LeGrandAssidomaen
Paper Is My Hobbyhorse
+1|6815
The only action I take as commander is defending the base I'm staying at, and the artillery/uav/scan stuff. I play commander as engineer most of the time, especially on maps where the enemy spec-ops are likely to try blowing up my stuff...It's always nice to see the spec-ops guys hiding right next to arty after having destroyed all of it, waiting for me to drop supply crates for repair. I sneak up and knife them
polarbearz
Raiders of the Lost Bear
+-1,474|6797|Singapore

i read ALL the messages in this thread and i didn't see a SINGLE one where anyone mentioned anything about commanding the squads under you to attack/flank/defend/repair/etc. Or tactical manoevering, or creating fire squads.

'my ass you can command in a jet' sounds about just right.

i only hop on a jet when my team is getting ass-owned by their pilot.
sHe01
+0|6817
I was commanding one day and enemy commader was scanning and wasting arty on ME alone... while im sure his  team didnt appreciate this it DID  cause me some unwanted grief re-spawning  .. so with that i jumped in a 2man jet (as a gunner ofc ... needless to say he didnt get me again and my pilot was second to none leaving me to command my team with /arty/supplies when needed without being hunted by the enemy commander...

Last edited by sHe01 (2005-11-02 05:21:13)

doxy
+74|6799|Nevis

nayo450 wrote:

how about not piloting the craft? like riding in transport helo. to get a better arial view, of the battle field
lol

Whitegreek wrote:

damn right

IMHO it is also depending on the player count, a commander on a 16player server, for example might not be that busy like the commander, who manages a 6 squad/32 players sized team.

Last edited by doxy (2005-11-02 05:51:58)

r00fus
+2|6800
if you want to make it so that commanders cant enter planes then how about all of you guys that jump in the tanks/helicopters/jets as a sniper.
Rick_O_Shea678
Angry Engy
+95|6761
Our noob Commander on 32-man Karkand kept tying up a tank at the beginning.  I suppose he's trying to double his points at the end of round?  But it was annoying as hell, he wasn't effective as commander, and every so often the tank would just stop playing as he'd stick his head in the CO screen, so suddenly our tank wasn't effective either.  After about five losses in a row, I would toss a grenade or Eryx missile at him whenever he stuck his head in the CO screen, give him a wakeup call.

As for Commanders who fly, I've dreamed of finding one in a VOIP server.  Then I would play the theme from TV show "Six Million Dollar Man" into their ear.  Just the first thirty seconds of it, split into two or so parts.
section9
+9|6856|USA
I think I'm the worst jet driver in the game.I'm getting better with helo's but planes are not getting along with my mouse.If only I had'nt shot my flight instructor in the gulf of oman....

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard