Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5186|Sydney
Yeah, $219 euros is a LOT to pay for a keyboard lol. Plus I live in Australia so currency conversion + shipping blows it out even more. But thanks anyway.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6164|Vancouver | Canada
You know pretty much every keyboard has a little extrusion on the F and J keys, right?

Just feel for them with your index fingers if you can't see the keyboard.
(Although I don't see how the light of the monitor isn't enough)
RDMC
Enemy Wheelbarrow Spotted..!!
+736|6573|Area 51

Finray wrote:

Noobs, everyone knows C is crouch and ctrl is prone.
Omahgawd..I r doin' it wrong then
Jaekus
+957|5186|Sydney
I'm too used to BF2 so when I got COD4 I changed the key binding around...
prototype
+52|6319
the Saitek Eclipse 2  is awesome, ive had mine for a little over 3 years

the main first person shooter directional keys are worn but not bad to prevent use, most people on here can prolly play/type with most of the letters missing anyway
Jaekus
+957|5186|Sydney
Ok so I'm starting to think a backlit keyboard may just be extra cost for little gain.

Take away backlights, LCD screens and macro keys, is there really that much of a difference between a cheap keyboard and an expensive one? Would I notice a performance increase with an expensive keyboard over a cheaper one?

I'm at work typing on a standard Logitech keyboard that costs about $30 (Logitech 350) and the keys have a nice feel to them. Is it worth paying an extra $50 for something with more features?

Lotsa questions I know, I'm just finding it hard to justify the cost of a more expensive keyboard in my head at the moment.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5912|CA

Jaekus wrote:

Ok so I'm starting to think a backlit keyboard may just be extra cost for little gain.

Take away backlights, LCD screens and macro keys, is there really that much of a difference between a cheap keyboard and an expensive one? Would I notice a performance increase with an expensive keyboard over a cheaper one?

I'm at work typing on a standard Logitech keyboard that costs about $30 (Logitech 350) and the keys have a nice feel to them. Is it worth paying an extra $50 for something with more features?

Lotsa questions I know, I'm just finding it hard to justify the cost of a more expensive keyboard in my head at the moment.
I'd say it boils down to personal preference and assessing your needs.  How often do you use your computer in the dark?  Would an illuminated keyboard make that much of a difference for the number of times it proves useful?  Could you just turn a light on instead?

But if you're certain about specific models, make sure to do some research.  Read user and professional reviews (with a grain of salt, of course) and decide which one would suit your needs.  If you can, visit a local computer shop and see if they have any mice or keyboards on display and try them out.

Last edited by TopHat01 (2010-07-02 01:31:12)

i have the saitek eclipse II 
you pick from 3 colors(default blue, red, pink) and there is a dim dial on the keyboard. it's kewl.
Jaekus
+957|5186|Sydney

TopHat01 wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

I'd say it boils down to personal preference and assessing your needs.  How often do you use your computer in the dark?  Would an illuminated keyboard make that much of a difference for the number of times it proves useful?  Could you just turn a light on instead?

But if you're certain about specific models, make sure to do some research.  Read user and professional reviews (with a grain of salt, of course) and decide which one would suit your needs.  If you can, visit a local computer shop and see if they have any mice or keyboards on display and try them out.
Cheers mate.

I guess what I'm asking is this: does an expensive keyboard perform better than a cheap one when gaming?

I've heard different keyboards have different response times and obviously the faster the response time the better, but is there a noticeable difference, or are they all generally the same? I've read to steer clear of wireless keyboards for gaming for this reason.
TopHat01
Limitless
+117|5912|CA

Jaekus wrote:

I guess what I'm asking is this: does an expensive keyboard perform better than a cheap one when gaming?

I've heard different keyboards have different response times and obviously the faster the response time the better, but is there a noticeable difference, or are they all generally the same? I've read to steer clear of wireless keyboards for gaming for this reason.
I'd think so, or the entire keyboard and mouse business is a complete scam.  High-end keyboards use better quality materials (the keys feel more comfortable) and have more or improved features, like media controls, macro keys, LCD screens, etc.  They also last longer, too.

I use to play BF2 on a standard Dell keyboard and basic Logitech wireless mouse, which worked, but not very comfortable.  The keys felt mushy and the mouse wasn't shaped right, so my hand would eventually cramp up after long gaming sessions.  I now use a Logitech G15 keyboard and G5 mouse, which are comfortable and work much better when gaming.  I'll admit that I impulse-bought the G15, as I really don't have a valid use for the LCD screen, and it mostly just displays system resource usage or the FPS I'm getting in a game.  But I'm positive that this keyboard will last, so I have no intentions of replacing it.

Last edited by TopHat01 (2010-07-02 10:52:25)

Jaekus
+957|5186|Sydney
Ergh, now I'm deliberating between the G110 and the MS Sidewinder x6. Anyone give any recommendations here? The reviews I've read for both have been mixed.
AussieReaper
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
+5,761|6160|what

I'm on the G19 and it has fuck all improvement over the G15.

If you want a cheap backlit, get the G15 for sure.
https://i.imgur.com/maVpUMN.png
=NHB=Shadow
hi
+322|6373|California
You can be as good on a $30 keyboard as you would on a $70 one, it all depends on the feel and how you like it, i've played fps and rts on a $15 logitech keyboard and it's a great keyboard.
Jaekus
+957|5186|Sydney
Sweet, that's what I really needed to know. I know the better the mouse the better the performance and thus the better you play, but I wasn't so sure about keyboards. Seems to be not so much an issue from what I understand.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6478
some keyboards are better for tactile key-responses; some are an absolute joy to type on (and therefore to game on, too).

generally higher-quality keyboards have a better 'feel' - there is a tangible difference, whether you estimate that with their increased cost or not.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Jaekus
+957|5186|Sydney
Yeah, so I think I'll base my purchase on a combination of"

Price
Feel
Features

in pretty much that order.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
+136|5939|Somewhere out in Space
Saitek Eclipse 1 if you can find it
Microsoft Reclusa
Razer Lycosa
Logitech illuminated
Eclipse 2
G11

The lycosa has individual key backlighting, something i'm sure the rest here don't have.
Jaekus
+957|5186|Sydney
Can't get an Eclipse here in Aus without a lot of hassle.
Will look into the Reclusa
Heard the Lycosa can be kinda crap for anything non gaming, so I'm a little unsure. The individual backlighting sounds kinda cool I guess.
Read in a comment on a review that the Logitech Illuminated isn't good for gaming
G110 is a lot easier to get
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
I bet it's the sure-touch keys or somehing, but after a couple of months of use the keys have definitely softened up and are a lot easier to type with.  It's no ergonomic keyboard but I can write essays with it.  I personally hate the fat keys ever since I realized how clumsy they are.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6750|London

https://img402.imageshack.us/img402/4913/2345678.jpg
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
Jaekus
+957|5186|Sydney
Yeah that's a bit over the top for my taste.
N00bkilla55404
Voices are calling...
I guess the DKT everglide is out of your acquisition capabilities.
Jaekus
+957|5186|Sydney
Hmmm... only appears to be available to me through eBay, and whilst it's $44 AUD, the postage from Canada is $87 AUD :S
H3RB4L ABU53
+45|5875|123 | 456 | 789 | Δ
What about the Optimus Maximus lol
Jaekus
+957|5186|Sydney
Does it turn into a transformer?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard