• Index » 
  • BF3S.com » 
  • News » 
  • Are multiple Chats threads necessary? And why the AU Chat was closed.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Jaekus wrote:

I suppose noone else has realised the irony of having a chat thread (this one) about the validity of a chat thead.

Epic fail.
But this isn't a chat thread, silly. We're debating over whether to keep a thread open or closed. This isn't idle banter. Epic fail.

Furthermore,
By default, a duplicate thread should be closed and the OP can fight to have it open. I'm not OH, so I'm not the one making the final decision, but personally, I've yet to see any valid reasons for keeping the duplicate thread open. And it seems like hardly anyone is even arguing that point anyway. So clearly it seems there is no reason at all to keep the duplicate thread open.

Last edited by mtb0minime (2010-07-04 21:59:51)

Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
It's an active thread, it doesn't violate the forum rules, why are you being so precious about it?

There's a lot of threads I see as a waste of space and frankly shiteful that are left alone, you don't see me wasting my time trying to close them.

What the fuck does it matter to those who aren't participating anyway?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Jaekus wrote:

it doesn't violate the forum rules
It's a duplicate thread. There's already a general chatter thread.

Jaekus wrote:

why are you being so precious about it?
It's your guys' precious thread that you're dying to keep open.

Jaekus wrote:

There's a lot of threads I see as a waste of space and frankly shiteful that are left alone, you don't see me wasting my time trying to close them.
That's like your opinion man. People can discuss whatever they want to discuss so long as it doesn't violate forum rules. I think the Real World Facts thread is a waste of space, but it's not a duplicate and doesn't have NSFW content in it, so it should be left open so long as it doesn't violate forum rules (again).

Jaekus wrote:

I don't participate in drinking and driving but it still affects me and I have to watch out for those people. I don't participate in dumping oil into the ocean but I can't go swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

Bahahaha AU Chats, Dumping Oil on the BF2s Sea.

love it.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Yes, I'm directly comparing AU Chat to the BP Oil Spill

I don't directly participate in things, but they still affect me. So the "you don't participate so it doesn't matter" point is moot. kthxbai.

btw you're doing a great job debating and trying to keep your thread open...
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

mtb0minime wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

it doesn't violate the forum rules
It's a duplicate thread. There's already a general chatter thread.
This isn't general chatter for the whole planet. I personally hate EE chats because there's so much shit in there that means nothing to me.
Talking with people from my own country has a lot more relevance.

Jaekus wrote:

why are you being so precious about it?
It's your guys' precious thread that you're dying to keep open.
It's your guys precious attitude that wants it closed for some obscure reason. Jealousy perhaps? Fuck knows, it makes no sense why you waste the time.

Jaekus wrote:

That's like your opinion man. People can discuss whatever they want to discuss so long as it doesn't violate forum rules. I think the Real World Facts thread is a waste of space, but it's not a duplicate and doesn't have NSFW content in it, so it should be left open so long as it doesn't violate forum rules (again).
Fuck me. This is the point I made you tried to refute, and now, in the same fucking quote, you attempt to make the same point. Hypocrite much?

Jaekus wrote:

I don't participate in drinking and driving but it still affects me and I have to watch out for those people. I don't participate in dumping oil into the ocean but I can't go swimming in the Gulf of Mexico.
That is the most absurd rationale I've seen at an attempt at an analogy to make some "point" I have seen in a loooong time. We're talking people discussing stuff via text in a sub forum. Not risk of death or catastrophic environmental disaster.

A better similie would be for me to argue that I have to put up with drivel like what I've responded to your good self, sir, but I put up with it regardless.
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6144|Sydney | ♥

i've never been a good debater. They all deem pointless in my eyes.

Why do you want it closed so fkn badly? What do you have against it...

It's been there for YEARS, frikking YEARS, and now you're all reh.

I resent the theory that it was simply open due to the post count. I've been a part of that thread for as long as i've been a part of BF2s,

AU Chat is BF2s in my eyes.

I love the frequents in that thread, and i love reading and replying in that thread. It's just like taking away a game a kid loves simply cause it "affects" you.
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6282

It's a forum, people should be able to post whatever they want within the given rules and regulations. Having said that, I don't see any rules against creating a "chat thread" where people with the same nationality can mingle.

Forums are meant for discussion. Why restrict users from chatting with others of the same nationality/lifestyle/interests?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

By all means, do not take my views towards this personally. I am still fond of the Aussie members, and I hope you guys don't hold this against me.

Anyways, fine, I will concede that I am coming from an outsider's perspective. To me, it's just another chat thread; and duplicates should be closed or merged. But clearly it's something you guys have grown to love and become attached to.

In any case, it's the mods and admins decision and not mine.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5207|Cleveland, Ohio
mtb....i have a feeling

Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

mtb0minime wrote:

By all means, do not take my views towards this personally. I am still fond of the Aussie members, and I hope you guys don't hold this against me.

Anyways, fine, I will concede that I am coming from an outsider's perspective. To me, it's just another chat thread; and duplicates should be closed or merged. But clearly it's something you guys have grown to love and become attached to.

In any case, it's the mods and admins decision and not mine.
Yes, and thanks for seeing it from our perspective. We're not asking for you to sing praises for the thread, just please let it be as it is
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

11 Bravo wrote:

mtb....i have a feeling

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MBeT4ptY9sY
If that's the way it has to be...

Besides, who cares if it's a long-running AU Chat or a freshly started Africa chat. OH asked "Are multiple Chats threads necessary?" The answer is no.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
95% of this entire forum isn't necessary, but it exists.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

So shouldn't we at least try to keep the unnecessary stuff to a minimum?
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
By closing 95% of the forums?
I thought the idea here was to allow conversation and free speech, within forum rules, not be tyrannical about placing values on what is deemed relevant, which is pretty subjective anyway.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Please, stop assuming things. "trying to keep the unnecessary stuff to the minimum" is not "close everything"
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
But most of the conversation around here is unnecessary, when you get right down to it.

The question is asked "is it necessary?" It seems like quite a few people feel there is a need, certainly a want, for such threads.

Therefore, it makes it necessary. Pretty cut and dried really.
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6624

Ok. Some people think it's necessary, and have stated their points as to why. Others think it's unnecessary, and have stated their points as to why.

It's not a matter of "If any person finds it necessary, then it must be necessary." It's hard to continue this little debate when you don't make much sense

Last edited by mtb0minime (2010-07-05 02:32:43)

Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
But it's not one person, it's a group of people.

Just becaue others think it's unnecessary simply reflects what it means to them. But obviously it means something to a group of people.

Mods and admins should take into account what a number of active forumers want, and something that has been long standing and means a lot to some members should be allowed.

The only point to not allowing AU chats it to satisfy some retarded notion that it clogs up the forums. Dealing with this has been addressed numerous times so I'm not going to rehash it. EE chats clogs up the forums more than any other thread, is shite IMO and has no relevance to me - but I'm not asking for it's closure because clearly other members find it relevant to their forum experience, and if it makes them happy then so be it, I can just ignore it.

If you don't think this makes any sense then I'm kinda worried for you tbh.
liquidat0r
wtf.
+2,223|6597|UK
Let's have a chat thread
Let's have different chat threads for different groups of people
Let's have different chat threads for different topics / sections
Let's have a couple of chat threads about more specific topics within each umbrella topic / section

... oh wait, now we've evolved to essentially what a forum is

I know this isn't quite the case, what with AU Chat / etc having been in existence since like forever, but still: 'tis amusing
11 Bravo
Banned
so then why do you guys close stuff when we make it?  you make it sound so simple yet you guys are the ones who complicate things.
11 Bravo
Banned

Jaekus wrote:

It's an active thread, it doesn't violate the forum rules
are you mad?  the original thread was off topic and spam...not within the rules.  the new one is in the server section where you guys dont discuss the server...off topic....a rule.  therefore, why is it not in EE?

ya thats right, why is it not in EE?  no good answer because you know it should be if you want to mention the rules.  mods know this too but will try very hard to double talk and prove otherwise.
Dauntless
Admin
+2,249|6712|London

Needlessly spam again and I will ban you.
https://imgur.com/kXTNQ8D.png
11 Bravo
Banned
sooo..not only do you want a special thread but then you want to exclude people?  fuck sakes.  special treatment bullshit.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney

11 Bravo wrote:

Jaekus wrote:

It's an active thread, it doesn't violate the forum rules
are you mad?  the original thread was off topic and spam...not within the rules.  the new one is in the server section where you guys dont discuss the server...off topic....a rule.  therefore, why is it not in EE?

ya thats right, why is it not in EE?  no good answer because you know it should be if you want to mention the rules.  mods know this too but will try very hard to double talk and prove otherwise.
Have you even read the previous two pages of the thread? Clearly not, Turkish. Now go put the kettle on.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-07-05 14:41:01)

• Index » 
  • BF3S.com » 
  • News » 
  • Are multiple Chats threads necessary? And why the AU Chat was closed.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard