Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6375|North Carolina

nlsme1 wrote:

The only way it really has anything to do with this is, if it wasn't for Russian oil, ours would be a lot higher. So, keep depending on Russia to make our oil cheap. Along with all the other fucked up oil producing nations. However, it doesn't pertain to the OP, so sorry about that.
Not really.  We actually have a ton of our own oil reserves to draw from, if push comes to shove.  Now, it is true that if Europe started buying more from Saudi Arabia, that might complicate things for us in the short run, but again, we can produce more of our own oil if we really need to.
nlsme1
+32|5387
We could not produce enough oil to sustain our appetite. We might be able to delay the inevitable, but if Russia was to take their oil off the market, well, we would be fucked.

To the OP; number 11 was arrested in Cyprus, he posted bail and is now nowhere to be found.

Last edited by nlsme1 (2010-07-01 06:28:23)

Turquoise
O Canada

nlsme1 wrote:

We could not produce enough oil to sustain our appetite. We might be able to delay the inevitable, but if Russia was to take their oil off the market, well, we would be fucked.
Well, if Europe wants to stay oil dependent, then yes, continuing to buy from Russia might be their best choice, but I think France has shown that shifting toward nuclear power instead is a much better choice.

We need to do the same.

But yes, because we and most of Europe are oil dependent, having Russia keep its oil on the market is a good thing.  Granted, I never said that Russia should take its oil off of the market.
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6591|London, England
I reckon this is (one of the many things that will cause) the end of Obama, the FBI and such have got what they wanted in making Obama look like even more of a fool on the international stage. The guy has zero support from his intelligence agencies and military. Even when he started out his presidency there was talks about how the CIA hated him or something he did or some shit.

This guy was an outsider from the beginning, especially since the glory days (for them) of the Bush era, it was probably for them like having the duvet snatched away at 4:00am in the morning mid-winter when Obama was elected.

I wonder what's the reaction like in the US over this, whether it's working as certain people intended and Obama is being made out to look like an idiot. Or whether people are catching on to the seemingly obvious ways of the FBI etc... or whether things are more balanced.

You guys are just talking about oil and angelina jolie - sums it up
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6538|Mountains of NC

does this mean we can crank up the Cold War again
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
FEOS
Bellicose Yankee Air Pirate
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Mekstizzle wrote:

I wonder what's the reaction like in the US over this, whether it's working as certain people intended and Obama is being made out to look like an idiot. Or whether people are catching on to the seemingly obvious ways of the FBI etc... or whether things are more balanced.

You guys are just talking about oil and angelina jolie - sums it up
We're all focused on the hot chick...at least our media is, anyway.
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
from what I know, CIA hates bush and clinton with equal passion
Tu Stultus Es
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

eleven bravo wrote:

CIA hates congress more.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia

Turquoise wrote:

But yes, because we and most of Europe are oil dependent, having Russia keep its oil on the market is a good thing.  Granted, I never said that Russia should take its oil off of the market.
how exactly would russia take its oil from the market? wtf will we get money from to keep us fed on borsch then?

Last edited by Shahter (2010-07-01 22:34:45)

if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
Turquoise
O Canada

Shahter wrote:

Turquoise wrote:

how exactly would russia take its oil from the market? wtf will we get money from to keep us fed on borsch then?
I don't know.  I was having a conversation with nlsme1, and I think he misunderstood me as advocating that Russia do that.  What I was saying was that your oil market isn't as important to our consumption as that of Canada and Saudi Arabia.  I think he was saying that it's good for Europe to buy your oil, so that prices aren't driven up in the oil markets we focus on.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6676
Haha!  Russia thinks Obama has a plan to get Russia to "'lure' (Russia) into cooperation in US interests"???  That's really rich, guys.

Seems to me that this is more of a distraction than anything else.  Russia has good spies.  I have a hard time believing that they could get caught by the FBI unless they wanted to.
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6676

eleven bravo wrote:

The CIA is inept, so it doesn't matter, anyway.
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

eleven bravo wrote:

The CIA leadership is inept, so it doesn't matter, anyway.
fixed
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

Doing the popular thing is not always right. Doing the right thing is not always popular
eleven bravo
+1,399|5229|foggy bottom
clinton cut funding and bush heavily outsourced to private contractors
Tu Stultus Es
Kmar
Truth is my Bitch
+5,695|6570|132 and Bush

Xbone Stormsurgezz
FEOS
+1,182|6380|'Murka

Kmarion wrote:

hawt http://current.com/1pdh84c
I don't care what people say...I'd crush that.
― Albert Einstein

globefish23
sophisticated slacker
+334|6293|Graz, Austria
About Europe's dependence on Russian gas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nabucco_pipeline
It's planned to be operational by 2015, delivering natural gas into Central Europe, neatly circumventing Russia.

Gazprom is building their South Stream gas pipeline which will be operational at the same time and rival Nabucco.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Stream
cl4u53w1t2
Salon-Bolschewist
+269|6442|Kakanien
https://www.chronik-der-mauer.de/index.php/de/Common/Image/field/original/id/24449/width/400
13/f/taiwan
+940|5668
http://www.aljazeera.com/news/europe/20 … 24723.html

Russia has detained an alleged American CIA agent working undercover at the US embassy who was discovered with a large stash of money trying to recruit a Russian agent, officials said on Tuesday.

Russia's Federal Security Service (FSB) identified the man as Ryan Fogle, the third secretary of the political section of Washington's embassy in Moscow, and said he had been handed back to the embassy after his detention.

The foreign ministry said it was summoning US ambassador Michael McFaul on Wednesday for an explanation and slammed Washington for what it described as "provocative acts in the spirit of the Cold War."

Photographs published by the state English-language broadcaster RT showed a baseball-capped Fogle being held to the ground face down and having his hands put behind his back for the arrest.

He was then shown being questioned at the Federal Security Service while documents such as his passport and a stack of 500-euro notes along with some letters were displayed.

The FSB footage also displayed supposed espionage equipment including wigs, a torch, compass and even a mundane atlas of Moscow as well as a somewhat old-fashioned mobile phone.

The FSB said in a statement carried by Russian news agencies that Fogle was carrying "special technical equipment, written instructions for recruiting a Russian citizen, a large sum of money and means for changing a person's appearance."

'We did not believe this'

In a video that RT said was provided by the FSB, Fogle is seen sitting down as a man, presumably a Russian security officer, tells the suspect about his alleged crime.

He is then accused of offering $100,000 for espionage to a security service employee who is involved in counterinsurgency work in the Russian North Caucasus.

"We did not believe this at first, because as you know the FSB has been actively helping the investigation of the Boston blasts," the officer says as Fogle and three men silently listen with arms crossed.

The incident comes amid a new downturn in Russian-US relations sparked by the Syrian crisis and concern in Washington over what it sees as president Vladimir Putin's crackdown on all dissent.

The last major spy row between the two former Cold War rivals involved the glamourous Anna Chapman and 10 other Russian spies arrested in the United States in 2010.

The spy scandal, which ended with their swap for four Russians convicted of spying for the West, was a huge embarrassment for Russia's foreign intelligence at the time.

The FSB and Russia's tightly-controlled state media appeared intent Tuesday on showing to the public that the man it had caught was a real agent who posed a danger to Russia's interests.

The photos published by RT also showed a document entitled "printed instructions for the Russian citizen being recruited."

Analysts said the fact that the case received such media attention means that senior Russian leaders had decided to use the arrest to make a political point to Washington.

Some such cases are often handled quietly and tit-for-tat expulsions are sometimes only made public once completed.
i would make a good spy.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard