Used to, but quit20%20% - 22
Light smoker, < a pack a day13%13% - 14
Moderate, a pack a day6%6% - 7
heavy, > a pack a day3%3% - 4
Total: 107
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6351|the land of bourbon
We're derailing John's thread, but I consider this a topic worthy of discussion.  What are your thoughts concerning one of the most heavily taxed and discriminated against groups in society today?

I used to smoke, but I quit, and certainly don't miss it...
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5327|London, England
Pack a day.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
+1,538|5671|College Park, MD
Very light. Sometimes smoke a cigarette on my lunch break or after work if I wanna de-stress. Otherwise I mainly enjoy a cigarette (not some shitty Marlboro though) with a good cup of coffee with a friend.
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/36793/marylandsig.jpg
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS
No. Health reasons.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6351|the land of bourbon
i noticed alot of people who quit end up on this quest to make everyone else quit.  i must be a weirdo, because i really don't care one way or the other if someone quits or not.  its their personal choice.  i'm glad i quit, but i also respect the fact that others do smoke, and it doesn't bother me at all.  and like i said in the other thread, i don't miss it at all.  i know there are also people who have quit, but if they are around it long enough, they relapse.  i really have been around it, and still have no desire to fire one up. 
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Shahter
Zee Ruskie
+295|6745|Moscow, Russia
i used to smoke like a chimney, immediately before i quit it was about a pack and a half a day. i certainly don't miss it - not one bit.
if you open your mind too much your brain will fall out.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Quitting is for pussies.

EDIT: I don't smoke.

Last edited by ghettoperson (2010-06-22 09:07:51)

pilebomb
+8|6089
Never smoked, no desire to and don't give a shit if you do. Still think banning smoking in bars is stupid.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

pilebomb wrote:

Never smoked, no desire to and don't give a shit if you do. Still think banning smoking in bars is stupid.
I actually like the ban. I dislike smelling smoke when I'm eating/drinking as much as a non-smoker does.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6564|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
a cig before work and a cig after work, I don't smoke on my off days. When i'm drinkin it's usually a couple cigs while I'm drunk. I do a pack every 3 weeks, 4 if I'm good.
ghettoperson
+1,943|6619

Yeah, coming back home after being out and being able to wear the same pair of jeans the next day is nice. Also you don't get burned in crowds anymore.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia
+444|6100|North Tonawanda, NY

pilebomb wrote:

I agree!  Leave that decision to the owner of the establishment and as a patron, you can vote with your dollar.
Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls
In Virginia it's not banned. There are a bunch of Korean BBQ places where it's like a throwback to the 50s in terms of smoking at a restaurant.

Koreans smoke like chimneys for some reason.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

pilebomb wrote:

I agree!  Leave that decision to the owner of the establishment and as a patron, you can vote with your dollar.
It doesn't work like that though because you're still subjecting the employees of the bar/restaurant to all that second hand smoke. Lawsuits and medical bills just waiting to happen.

"Get a different job" doesn't really work either because it might be the only job they can find.
-Frederick Bastiat
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

In Virginia it's not banned. There are a bunch of Korean BBQ places where it's like a throwback to the 50s in terms of smoking at a restaurant.

All asians seem to.
-Frederick Bastiat
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6741|PNW

Non-smoker here, as should be obvious from the last thread. To clear things up, I'm against smoking indoors at public places, but even more against government regulation against the habit. It should be up to private businesses to decide whether or not people can smoke in their establishments. To be frank, it doesn't even really affect me since I'm not a big time bar guy, gambler or restaurant goer.
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

pilebomb wrote:

It doesn't work like that though because you're still subjecting the employees of the bar/restaurant to all that second hand smoke. Lawsuits and medical bills just waiting to happen.

"Get a different job" doesn't really work either because it might be the only job they can find.
I guess I hadn't really considered that.  It doesn't really affect me much since I don't smoke anyway...I've just never liked the ban.  I had always understood that it was put in place for patron health, not employee health.

Edit: I share the same general opinion as unnamed.

Last edited by SenorToenails (2010-06-22 09:20:52)

Hurricane2k9
Pendulous Sweaty Balls

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Non-smoker here, as should be obvious from the last thread. To clear things up, I'm against smoking indoors at public places, but even more against government regulation against the habit. It should be up to private businesses to decide whether or not people can smoke in their establishments. To be frank, it doesn't even really affect me since I'm not a big time bar guy, gambler or restaurant goer.
since when were you a mod?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

SenorToenails wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

SenorToenails wrote:

I guess I hadn't really considered that.  It doesn't really affect me much since I don't smoke anyway...I've just never liked the ban.  I had always understood that it was put in place for patron health, not employee health.
Nah, it's about employee health. There were some pretty massive lawsuits in the 90s related to it.
-Frederick Bastiat
SenorToenails
Veritas et Scientia

JohnG@lt wrote:

Nah, it's about employee health. There were some pretty massive lawsuits in the 90s related to it.
Well, that clears that up.  I had figured it was just an extension of those 'smoking sections' that were all the rage way back.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6467

i smoked, i quit. i will have one a year, to remind me why i quit . . .
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6686

JohnG@lt wrote:

Hurricane2k9 wrote:

All asians seem to.
Pack of smokes in Taiwan is around 2.30 USD. People here smoke like a trooper lol.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
Btw, to all those concerned about second hand smoke...

Interesting read...

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/326/7398/1057

Objective: To measure the relation between environmental tobacco smoke, as estimated by smoking in spouses, and long term mortality from tobacco related disease.

Design: Prospective cohort study covering 39 years.

Conclusions: The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality, although they do not rule out a small effect. The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6644|Canberra, AUS

JohnG@lt wrote:

Interesting read...

Objective: To measure the relation between environmental tobacco smoke, as estimated by smoking in spouses, and long term mortality from tobacco related disease.

Conclusions: The results do not support a causal relation between environmental tobacco smoke and tobacco related mortality, although they do not rule out a small effect. The association between exposure to environmental tobacco smoke and coronary heart disease and lung cancer may be considerably weaker than generally believed.
Still smells godawful, though.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

Spark wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Interesting read...

Still smells godawful, though.
Of course it does, which is why I go out of my way to be courteous when I smoke
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard