mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6713|Sydney, Australia

Cybargs wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

But yeah, global corporations are not known as Good Samaritans, and are generally more interested in their profit.
They're not here to run a charity. And I doubt any heavy mining in Afghanistan would happen any time soon... Expat engies don't exactly like getting shot at while working.
It's not even that. No mining company in its right mind would undertake that level of capital investment - in the mining sites themselves, but also rail, ports and processing facilities - when the country is an active warzone.

Edit: And considering Afghanistan is ranked 182/183 in the Human Development Index (a comparative measure of life expectancy, literacy, education  and standards of living for countries worldwide), it kinda reinforces my point.
nlsme1
+32|5409

mcminty wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

globefish23 wrote:

But yeah, global corporations are not known as Good Samaritans, and are generally more interested in their profit.
They're not here to run a charity. And I doubt any heavy mining in Afghanistan would happen any time soon... Expat engies don't exactly like getting shot at while working.
It's not even that. No mining company in its right mind would undertake that level of capital investment - in the mining sites themselves, but also rail, ports and processing facilities - when the country is an active warzone.
China seems to have no problem. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2009/03/08/6 … could.html
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

nlsme1 wrote:

mcminty wrote:

Cybargs wrote:

China seems to have no problem. http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2009/03/08/6 … could.html
Yeah no. The Chinese aren't that stupid. As McMinty said, no company would even bother to invest. Why set up a new operation when there are loads of active copper mines?
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6713|Sydney, Australia
The thing about Chinese firms is that major ones, in industries related to national interest, are usually (at least partially) state owned. And, as the article says:

But it'll be some years before state-owned China Metallurgical Construction Corp
State owned firms don't have the burden of having to maximize shareholder wealth, thus they are free to pursue projects that wouldn't even be considered by more risk adverse firms. The Chinese government would be able to pump as much money into the project as they need..

Also, as I said about the infrastructure:

Moreover, China must deliver the infrastructure projects that helped it snag the deal over six rivals, including Phelps Dodge Corp., which was acquired by Phoenix-based Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. in 2007.

These include an onsite copper smelter, a $500 million generating station to power the project and augment Kabul's electricity supply, a coal mine to fuel the power station, a groundwater system, roads, new homes, hospitals and schools for mine workers and their families, and a railway line from the country's northern border with Uzbekistan to its southeastern border with Pakistan.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6708

mcminty wrote:

The thing about Chinese firms is that major ones, in industries related to national interest, are usually (at least partially) state owned. And, as the article says:

But it'll be some years before state-owned China Metallurgical Construction Corp
State owned firms don't have the burden of having to maximize shareholder wealth, thus they are free to pursue projects that wouldn't even be considered by more risk adverse firms. The Chinese government would be able to pump as much money into the project as they need..
Everyone will have a budget. lol Chinese mining tech is pretty shit as well. Accidents ftl lel.
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
nlsme1
+32|5409
They have already shown their willingness. They are resource hungry.

"China's willingness to gamble so much in one of the world's poorest and riskiest nations testifies to its determination to acquire the commodities it needs to maintain its economic growth and social stability."

America is helping with security.

"The U.S. deployment wasn't intended to protect the Chinese investment — the largest in Afghanistan's history — but to strangle Taliban infiltration into the capital of Kabul. But if the mission provides the security that a project to revive Afghanistan's economy needs, the synergy will be welcome."

If they are willing to do it for $3bl, why wouldn't they for a far greater amount?
Bertster7
Confused Pothead
+1,101|6573|SE London

JohnG@lt wrote:

-Sh1fty- wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

$1T ain't shit. If every single ounce of ore was extracted today, sold and the proceeds handed out evenly to all Afghani's... it would come out to a whopping $33,000 each.
$33,000 is a lot of money for them.
Cool, now divide it by 50, as that's how long it would take to strip the country.
And it's still about 50% more than the per capita GDP of Afghanistan.

Doesn't seem quite so shabby when you look at it like that.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

https://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6531/mineralarticlelarge.jpg

caption; "A bleak Ghazni Province seems to offer little, but a Pentagon study says it may have among the world’s largest deposits of lithium. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world … terstitial
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5349|London, England

burnzz wrote:

http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/6531/m … elarge.jpg

caption; "A bleak Ghazni Province seems to offer little, but a Pentagon study says it may have among the world’s largest deposits of lithium. "

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/06/14/world … terstitial
They should tap that shit and become less bleak and depressed
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

who, the Afghans and the sheep in the picture, or the Pentagon and the lithium in the story?
Trotskygrad
бля
+354|5991|Vortex Ring State
Look's like Big O's not going to pull out anytime soon...

No but seriously, I bet this changes a lot in terms of why we are in Afghanistan.
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

burnzz wrote:

who, the Afghans and the sheep in the picture, or the Pentagon and the lithium in the story?
Afghanis should all get high on lithium
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

tbh, lithium would put them on a more even keel - take their highs and lows away from them.

the picture reminds me of the Salt Flats in our west desert . . .
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

burnzz wrote:

tbh, lithium would put them on a more even keel - take their highs and lows away from them.

the picture reminds me of the Salt Flats in our west desert . . .
Iraq was the spitting image of Utah.
-Frederick Bastiat
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6489

hell, we oughtta train military types out here. oh wait
CameronPoe
+2,925|6547
Why were the US Geological Survey checking out Afghanistan? Doesn't America have more pressing issues to deal with in that neck of the woods? They had a bit of a cheek complaining that China won the rights to a massive copper mine: isn't that up to Afghanistan?

Last edited by CameronPoe (2010-06-14 13:18:49)

BLdw
+27|5163|M104 "Sombrero"

CameronPoe wrote:

Why were the US Geological Survey checking out Afghanistan?
Why did Ruski-mining experts check out Afghanistan?
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!

CameronPoe wrote:

Why were the US Geological Survey checking out Afghanistan? Doesn't America have more pressing issues to deal with in that neck of the woods? They had a bit of a cheek complaining that China won the rights to a massive copper mine: isn't that up to Afghanistan?
It's normal to take geological surveys, especially when assessing the countries ability to support itself in the future.
-Frederick Bastiat
oug
Calmer than you are.
+380|6511|Πάϊ

-Sh1fty- wrote:

I think the country is more screwed than ever now.
you guys are still there innit?
ƒ³
SEREMAKER
BABYMAKIN EXPERT √
+2,187|6560|Mountains of NC

How about adding in the opium
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/17445/carhartt.jpg
ATG
Banned
+5,233|6520|Global Command

mcminty wrote:

Moreover, China must deliver the infrastructure projects that helped it snag the deal over six rivals, including Phelps Dodge Corp., which was acquired by Phoenix-based Freeport-McMoRan Copper & Gold Inc. in 2007.

These include an onsite copper smelter, a $500 million generating station to power the project and augment Kabul's electricity supply, a coal mine to fuel the power station, a groundwater system, roads, new homes, hospitals and schools for mine workers and their families, and a railway line from the country's northern border with Uzbekistan to its southeastern border with Pakistan.
The Chinese bid was ONE BILLION dollars more than the second bid.

The world’s last standing superpower is focused on military security while it's biggest competitor concentrates on reaping the rewards of commerce.

U.S. troops set up bases last month along a dirt track that a Chinese contractor is paving to gain access to the Aynak copper reserves. Some of the US troops made camp outside a new modern compound constructed for the Chinese road crews who are about to return from their winter break. American military forces also have expanded their presence in neighboring Logar province, where the Aynak copper deposit is.
Why the fuck are our troops providing security for Chinese miners?
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6763|PNW

Did they find any unobtanium?

*runs*
nlsme1
+32|5409

ATG wrote:

mcminty wrote:

The Chinese bid was ONE BILLION dollars more than the second bid.

The world’s last standing superpower is focused on military security while it's biggest competitor concentrates on reaping the rewards of commerce.

U.S. troops set up bases last month along a dirt track that a Chinese contractor is paving to gain access to the Aynak copper reserves. Some of the US troops made camp outside a new modern compound constructed for the Chinese road crews who are about to return from their winter break. American military forces also have expanded their presence in neighboring Logar province, where the Aynak copper deposit is.
Why the fuck are our troops providing security for Chinese miners?
Because the mining will help build the Afghan economy. Economies are important in "nation building". Kind of like the way our troops are in Iraq's oil fields.
LostFate
Same shit, Different Arsehole
+95|6477|England
Thats great news for the Afghans right?  

oh wait i get it, haha there not going to see any of it are they?
Mekstizzle
WALKER
+3,611|6612|London, England
I was watching a documentary yesterday, basically the Congo (the big one) has resources of around $12 trillion. If they could get their act together and stop letting themselves and foreigners plunder the country with ease they would actually be able to be one of the richest countries in the entire world.

The problem is that any country that tries to develop its own industry instead of opening up its markets to foreign countries are usually hit with sanctions and such, most Western countries want their own companies coming in with investment and running things and they'll do whatever they can to make sure it stays like that

Last edited by Mekstizzle (2010-06-15 06:11:53)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard