Stubbee
Religions Hate Facts, Questions and Doubts
+223|6740|Reality
Fusion power
/problem

The ITER will probably not work.

However I more faith in the EMC2 system being developed based on the Farnsworth fusor.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS
why so pessimistic about ITER?
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

Still burning carbon to generate the force necessary to fly the plane.

An oil spill of this magnitude has never occurred before and I doubt seriously that it will ever happen again. Yes, it's terrible, but people are overreacting in a huge way.
Everyone who lost their jobs in the southeast because of it are overreacting? Everyone on cleanup who're getting sick because of it overreact?
Sure, compound the problem by putting the offshore drilling industry, which Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas depend on for billions in annual revenue, out of business as well.
Hey...  how about this?...

JohnG@lt wrote:

While it sucks that it's going to hurt Florida Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas pretty badly, perhaps now is the perfect time for people in these states to move their economy away from relying solely on tourism and building new homes for retirees. heavily on offshore drilling. Silver lining perhaps.
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

Stubbee wrote:

Fusion power
/problem

The ITER will probably not work.

However I more faith in the EMC2 system being developed based on the Farnsworth fusor.
Then we will just continue breeding like bacteria and run up against another resource limit.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Stubbee
+223|6740|Reality

Spark wrote:

they have been saying a tokomak reactor will ready in 30 years. they have been saying that for the last 30+ years. After spending billions of dollars it isn't any closer to fruition.
The US economy is a giant Ponzi scheme. And 'to big to fail' is code speak for 'niahnahniahniahnah 99 percenters'
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

Turquoise wrote:

JohnG@lt wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

Everyone who lost their jobs in the southeast because of it are overreacting? Everyone on cleanup who're getting sick because of it overreact?
Sure, compound the problem by putting the offshore drilling industry, which Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas depend on for billions in annual revenue, out of business as well.
Hey...  how about this?...

JohnG@lt wrote:

While it sucks that it's going to hurt Florida Mississippi, Louisiana and Texas pretty badly, perhaps now is the perfect time for people in these states to move their economy away from relying solely on tourism and building new homes for retirees. heavily on offshore drilling. Silver lining perhaps.
Because the reality is we aren't moving away from an oil based economy any time in the near (or foreseeable distant) future and pushing drilling overseas does nothing to solve the problem, it just makes it someone elses problem and enriches other nations at our own expense. I know you agree with me on this too. Damn your Devil's Advocacy
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

Stubbee wrote:

Spark wrote:

they have been saying a tokomak reactor will ready in 30 years. they have been saying that for the last 30+ years. After spending billions of dollars it isn't any closer to fruition.
Really? I thought everyone was in agreement that 2030-2050 was a reasonable date. In any case there have been quite a few leaps forward in fusion and plasma containment technology but with most cutting-edge science, it slips under the radar.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
Turquoise
O Canada
+1,596|6402|North Carolina

JohnG@lt wrote:

Because the reality is we aren't moving away from an oil based economy any time in the near (or foreseeable distant) future and pushing drilling overseas does nothing to solve the problem, it just makes it someone elses problem and enriches other nations at our own expense. I know you agree with me on this too. Damn your Devil's Advocacy
I know what you're saying, but I seriously think this is a perfect turning point to push for alternative energy.

If we stopped providing tax breaks to the oil industry and replaced them with subsidies and tax breaks for other energy sources (like nuclear power), then we'd move away from our oil addiction slowly but surely.
Narupug
Fodder Mostly
+150|5593|Vacationland
Don't blow up oil rigs?
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6494

Good One, Chief

we are allowing deep water drilling under 1973 shallow water off shore guide lines (established soon after the OPEC embargo) enforced by the agency responsible for collecting the royalties from the oil companies. what could go wrong?
RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6734|Oxferd Ohire

burnzz wrote:

Good One, Chief

we are allowing deep water drilling under 1973 shallow water off shore guide lines (established soon after the OPEC embargo) enforced by the agency responsible for collecting the royalties from the oil companies. what could go wrong?
an oil rig could blow up
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
Dilbert_X
The X stands for
+1,810|6103|eXtreme to the maX

Turquoise wrote:

If we stopped providing tax breaks to the oil industry and replaced them with subsidies and tax breaks for other energy sources (like nuclear power), then we'd move away from our oil addiction slowly but surely.
Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй!
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS
I wouldn't say no to tax breaks for nuclear power. Modern fast breeders are becoming very good.
~ Richard Feynman
Stubbee
+223|6740|Reality

Spark wrote:

I wouldn't say no to tax breaks for nuclear power. Modern fast breeders are becoming very good.
cleaning up an oil spill vs ultra long term storage of spent but still radio-active uranium fuel rods.... ummm

we need non polluting solutions like

stirling solar generators

aneutronic fusion power
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

Stubbee wrote:

Spark wrote:

cleaning up an oil spill vs ultra long term storage of spent but still radio-active uranium fuel rods.... ummm

we need non polluting solutions like

stirling solar generators

aneutronic fusion power
fun fact

you're more likely to die of radiation poisoning from coal power stations than nuclear ones

"aneutronic fusion power" - you do know how fusion works, right? I'm fairly sure that's pretty close to impossible
~ Richard Feynman
Deadmonkiefart
Floccinaucinihilipilificator
+177|6703

FloppY_ wrote:

The world needs to do something similar to what Japan does: Max 1 kid per parent!
You're a fool if you believe that is a good idea.

Back on topic, I can not believe that there was not a contingency plan.  That's absurd.  I also have a hard time believing that the government has failed to really do anything for the past 7 weeks. 

EPIC FAIL
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

The world needs to do something similar to what Japan does: Max 1 kid per parent!

Back on topic, I can not believe that there was not a contingency plan.  That's absurd.  I also have a hard time believing that the government has failed to really do anything for the past 7 weeks. 

EPIC FAIL
For one thing, it's not Japan that has that policy...

I'll start blaming the government when someone tells me what they could've done, aside from yell at BP.
~ Richard Feynman
FloppY_
­
+1,010|6283|Denmark aka Automotive Hell

Spark wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

EPIC FAIL

I'll start blaming the government when someone tells me what they could've done, aside from yell at BP.
That was corrected above, I believe it was china and not japan...

And I guess monkiefart is part of a 3 child family no?

I don't see the problem, the planet is dying from overpopulation and a 2kid+2parents limit would stop population from increasing and the 1kid+2parent families would help the population decline without "killing" anyone...
­ Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

FloppY_ wrote:

Spark wrote:

Deadmonkiefart wrote:

EPIC FAIL

I don't see the problem, the planet is dying from overpopulation and a 2kid+2parents limit would stop population from increasing and the 1kid+2parent families would help the population decline without "killing" anyone...
1-child policy is causing all kinda social issues in China. I'd rather not.
~ Richard Feynman
FloppY_
­

Spark wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Spark wrote:

You don't call people with 8 kids a social issue?
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

FloppY_ wrote:

Spark wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Wait, so the average family has 8 kids?
~ Richard Feynman
jord
+2,382|6675|The North, beyond the wall.
It's all about artifical life. Cloned foods. Cloned armies. Half man, half machine fighter jets.
FloppY_
­

Spark wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Spark wrote:

No, the average family has 2
Spark
+874|6671|Canberra, AUS

FloppY_ wrote:

Spark wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Which is a problem how?

Do you realise the massive implications of a low birth rate in most societies?
~ Richard Feynman
Jay
Bork! Bork! Bork!
+2,006|5355|London, England

Spark wrote:

FloppY_ wrote:

Spark wrote:

Which is a problem how?

Do you realise the massive implications of a low birth rate in most societies?
No, he doesn't. His continent would rather complain about their immigrants rather than worry about the fact that every nation in the Euro zone is well below the population replacement birthrate level.
"Ah, you miserable creatures! You who think that you are so great! You who judge humanity to be so small! You who wish to reform everything! Why don't you reform yourselves? That task would be sufficient enough."
-Frederick Bastiat

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard