Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
I'm thinking about getting a smaller monitor/TV combo... my room doesn't have a TV and I wouldn't mind watching TV when I'm not using my other monitor. I know that displays are usually one or the other or shit when in combo, but I wanted to know if that's changed anytime recently. Currently I'm borrowing my second display (19" dell), so I've been meaning to get a replacement anyway so I can give this one back.

Thoughts?

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a … 6824001278

This 22" samsung looks to get pretty decent reviews.

edit: For clarification, there's no room for a TV in my room. At all. There's only space for this monitor on my desk.

edit: budget probably in the 200-300 range. Also running a 24(25?)" dell as main monitor. Would HDMI ports make a difference? My machine/GPU is pretty nice.

third edit: I may consider a set of speakers as well depending on the price of the monitor... i dunno. really looking for thoughts on the whole tv/monitor business. I used to have a TV that "worked" as a monitor but it was some 1385x786(?) and looked like shit.

edit: currently have a set $40-50 creative speakers.

Last edited by Bevo (2010-06-05 14:59:06)

Yellowman03
Once Again, We Meet at Last
+108|6235|Texas
Very good monitor/TV. I have the 24" version. The only bad things are the speakers and the viewing angle. I suggest using external speakers. HDMI probably won't make a difference if you're using dvi cables.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas

Yellowman03 wrote:

Very good monitor/TV. I have the 24" version. The only bad things are the speakers and the viewing angle. I suggest using external speakers. HDMI probably won't make a difference if you're using dvi cables.
right but my vid card has an HMDI port iirc and it looks like these do as well, I was wondering if the picture would look much better or what. TV would just be plain ole aux
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

You can get better resolutions with DVI if I'm not mistaken.
Winston_Churchill
Bazinga!
+521|6738|Toronto | Canada

mtb0minime wrote:

TVs dont go above 1080p which HDMI does, so no, not really.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
Okay, so what about speakers? Would an upgrade to a $100 system be a decent over my creative speakers?

I don't watch a ton of TV but I'd like to watch the occasional MLB game/comedy central program.
Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5178|Sydney
I'd get one similar to this one that I have - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a … 6824001377

The one you suggested in the OP doesn't have a native resolution of 1080p, whereas the one I posted there, for an extra $10, does. Plus it's 23".

Only downside is it doesn't have HDMI.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-06-05 18:31:06)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas

Sale ends tomorrow. The res is certainly nice.

Can anyone tell me the difference in quality between HDMI and DVI coming from my 5850?
alexb
<3
+590|5939|Kentucky, USA

Bevo wrote:

Can anyone tell me the difference in quality between HDMI and DVI coming from my 5850?
They should be the same, but HDMI will carry audio.
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
You don't really even need HDMI if you're running everything from your computer tbh. If you want to hook up a PS3/XBOX/DVD/BluRay/etc it's handy though.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
Ookies.

Any other thoughts? I might just order that 23" samsung before it goes off sale
tazz.
oz.
+1,338|6174|Sydney | ♥

get a projector son, i love mine XD
everything i write is a ramble and should not be taken seriously.... seriously.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas

tazz. wrote:

get a projector son, i love mine XD
10x12 bedroom

...no
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

Winston_Churchill wrote:

mtb0minime wrote:

TVs dont go above 1080p which HDMI does, so no, not really.
Oh right. I should've checked the max resolution of the thing.

Bevo, let me/us know how it turns out. I'm also looking at getting one of these sometime.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
i'm not sold on the idea, anyone else got an opinion?
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
I bought that Samsung P2350 I posted a link to about a month ago. I <3 it

I've got a fairly small bedroom and I can lay on my bed watch movies no problem with the monitor at the other end of the room (maybe 10-12 feet away). I looks a little blurry though sometimes, but that's cause I've been pretty sure for a few years now I need to get glasses lol

Just bear in mind before ordering it though that it is a monitor, it doesn't have a tv tuner built in nor does it have HDMI (you can get a HDMI>DVI converter though, it's a connector to the HDMI or DVI cable you use).

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-06-05 20:55:09)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
Soooo if I hooked up the auxiliary straight from the wall I wouldn't be able to do anything with it?
mtb0minime
minimember
+2,418|6654

The monitor you posted has a tv tuner, should be ok.

Jaekus' post was a little confusing. The one he got doesn't have it, but yours does.
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney

Bevo wrote:

Soooo if I hooked up the auxiliary straight from the wall I wouldn't be able to do anything with it?
No, sorry I didn't realise this is what you wanted to do with it.
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6659|The darkside of Denver

Bevo wrote:

If I recall, they're both digital but HDMI can carry audio too.
Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
I believe HDMI also has a faster transfer rate than DVI, but even with full HD resolution it doesn't make any difference to viewing quality, or so I read a while back when I was researching monitors to purchase the one I have now.
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
Any other thoughts or alternatives?
Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
Pretty much looking between these 3 I suppose. Can anyone highlight the differences and such? They all look relatively similar to me.

Keep in mind the TV in would come from an AUX cable and it would be standard ass cable. Nothing fancy. The 1920x1080 vs 1680x1050 doesn't bother me much, but my main monitor is currently 1920x1080 so having two of the same res would be... nice.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-P2370HD-2 … B002DHS398
http://www.staples.com/Samsung-2333HD-2 … uct_787324
http://www.newegg.com/product/product.a … 6824001278

ed: refurb'd on that top link might be an idea... thoughts on that as well?

Last edited by Bevo (2010-06-07 12:54:31)

Jaekus
+957|5178|Sydney
I'd go with either one of the top two. The differences are pretty minimal, except the top one appears to support more features like optical digital sound etc. and a higher dynamic contrast ratio (which isn't really a true representation of the normal contrast ratio - most monitors are 1000:1 for normal CR at this price point). Plus it looks a bit cooler IMO. And it's 23".

The main thing is they both tick the most important boxes. HDMI, TV tuner, 1080p, 5ms, Samsung. I'd definitely get one at 1920x1080 as you're used to viewing a computer monitor at this resolution, and these days a lot of tv is in high def.

I'm no expert on monitors but I did hours upon hours of reading and research over the course of a few weeks a couple months back before I bought my computer monitor, and the above are some of the most important things to consider.

Last edited by Jaekus (2010-06-07 14:42:20)

Bevo
Nah
+718|6521|Austin, Texas
What about refurbished? Worth the ~$80 savings for the potential of a few nicks or something?

Last edited by Bevo (2010-06-07 14:44:46)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard