JackRussel1
+3|6579
I am looking at my "network connections" from the control panel, and I have three things,

Local Area Connection
Connected, Firewalled
Intel(R) Pro/1000 CT Network Connection

1394 Connection
Connected, Firewalled
1394 Net Adapter #2

and

1394 Connection 2
Connected, Firewalled
1394 Net Adapter

Is this normal? I just thought that having 2 of those "1394 connections" seemed strange. Are all three of these necessary or is anything about it maybe causing the my constant disconnections from the game? I'm on a college campus with I'm assuming a T1 line. I've tried several things to resolve my disconnection problem but with no success.
Ban_Evasion
Banned
+0|6579
1394 is Firewire...In a sense, a cousin of USB. Not related to Internet/LAN/WAN/Etc
PheloniusRM
+8|6706|Mission Viejo, CA
Have you read about the dual CPU network connection problem and fix? It entails starting bf2, alt-tabing out to the desktop, control-alt-delete and right clicking on bf2.exe and unselecting cpu0. Hope this helps.
AmBiTiOnZ23
Shoot that guy ->
+29|6748

PheloniusRM wrote:

Have you read about the dual CPU network connection problem and fix? It entails starting bf2, alt-tabing out to the desktop, control-alt-delete and right clicking on bf2.exe and unselecting cpu0. Hope this helps.
I did not know that, and I get disconnected all the time.

+1 for you for helping me and him out
Havazn
+39|6701|van.ca
I continously get disconnected if im running my pc on the DMZ for my router.
JackRussel1
+3|6579

PheloniusRM wrote:

I tried this, but still get disconnected. People have told me that it is just an issue with BF2 itself, but I refuse to believe that. There HAS to be some issue with my machine or connection that is getting me disconnected all the time. What is weird, is that you would think if theres a connectivety issue, I wouldn't be able to connect to games at all. But I do, I just get disconnected constantly. AARRRGHHHH it's hard to enjoy the game like this, not to mention gain points and impossible to earn medals/badges.
PheloniusRM
+8|6706|Mission Viejo, CA
There is also a newer driver available for dual core AMD cpu's. I had terrible disconection problems a while back. I am trying to remember what I did to fix it. I believe the driver did help me quite a bit.
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6739|Peoria, Illinois
Option 1
Your firewall could be causing your connection problem. If you go to EA Help, they have a list of ports you need to force open to play BF2 when using a firewall. Firewalls can close those ports on you.

Option 2
You may have a high ping. Ensure no other program that uses the internet is running (regardless if it's using the internet at the time)

Option 3
You can get kicked by admin and it will appear to be a regular disconnect. Change servers and see if you continue to experience the problem.
JackRussel1
+3|6579

M1-Lightning wrote:

Option 1
Your firewall could be causing your connection problem. If you go to EA Help, they have a list of ports you need to force open to play BF2 when using a firewall. Firewalls can close those ports on you.

Option 2
You may have a high ping. Ensure no other program that uses the internet is running (regardless if it's using the internet at the time)

Option 3
You can get kicked by admin and it will appear to be a regular disconnect. Change servers and see if you continue to experience the problem.
I've triend #1 already, with just Windows Firewall you can only open individual ports (some ports they say to open are ranges, which you can't enter into window's firewall "exceptions") Could there be a firewall in my college's network (outside my PC)?

I don't think it is my ping, it is generally low since I'm sure the college is on a T1.

Is that true about being kicked? While I can't imagine why I'd keep getting kicked so much, why would the game tell me I've been disconnected and not that I've been kicked? That is ridiculously confusing if it's true.
mattrsch
Yeah, that thing I said
+18|6642|Ames, IA
I used to have a problem like that, but I found if I restart my computer every time before playing bf2 it decreases significantly.  I think my ISP lowers my priority the longer I am connected.  (it takes about 5 hours for me to start getting errors in bf2)
M1-Lightning
Jeepers Creepers
+136|6739|Peoria, Illinois

JackRussel1 wrote:

M1-Lightning wrote:

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3
I've triend #1 already, with just Windows Firewall you can only open individual ports (some ports they say to open are ranges, which you can't enter into window's firewall "exceptions") Could there be a firewall in my college's network (outside my PC)?

I don't think it is my ping, it is generally low since I'm sure the college is on a T1.

Is that true about being kicked? While I can't imagine why I'd keep getting kicked so much, why would the game tell me I've been disconnected and not that I've been kicked? That is ridiculously confusing if it's true.
I doubt your college has a firewall. Try disabling your firewall entirely before playing BF2 and see if that is the root cause.

If it's your ping, the kick message will tell you that. You'll have to read the message.

Yes, admins can kick you and it will appear as a regular disconnect. I have kicked people from my server using the rcon before and it doesn't say "kicking player" like it does with BF2CC. It's not likely that this is the problem but I figured I 'd throw it out there just FYI.
JackRussel1
+3|6579
I've already tried disabling the firewall, I've tried everything. I really wish I knew what the problem was, and it is not certain servers. Given, some servers will allow me to play through a whole round (rarely) but I will ALWAYS lose connection eventually. I am not getting my money's worth, why doesnt' EA address this, I mean I see posts on it all the time when are they going to listen and give us some answers?
flail129
+6|6768|San Jose,CA
Check out this application

http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php

This will resolve your issue.

1394 link is for transfers between firewire devices, no real need for it and you can disable the 1394 chip in BIOS if you have no firewire/1394 devices.

Last edited by flail129 (2006-05-04 22:48:54)

JackRussel1
+3|6579

flail129 wrote:

Check out this application

http://www.robpol86.com/Pages/imagecfg.php

This will resolve your issue.

1394 link is for transfers between firewire devices, no real need for it and you can disable the 1394 chip in BIOS if you have no firewire/1394 devices.
I did this and I am still getting disconnects. I had already tried a version of this anyway. (ctrl+alt+delete) and changed afinity to just one processor. Is there anything else I can try?
CC-Marley
+407|6836
Do you have TWO firewalls going? Mcafee or Norton with windows firewall? I had this problem once. Change your ethernet cord maybe. Could be a bad connection in there.

Last edited by CC-Marley (2006-05-07 22:53:18)

JackRussel1
+3|6579

CC-Marley wrote:

Do you have TWO firewalls going? Mcafee or Norton with windows firewall? I had this problem once. Change your ethernet cord maybe. Could be a bad connection in there.
I don't have another firewall, and I just tried another cable but still disconnects, lol. This has to be caused by the way my college's network is configured, or it's just something in the game itself. though I'll be home from college in a few days so I'll know if it was that.

Last edited by JackRussel1 (2006-05-08 00:15:29)

AT3am_Murd0ch
+15|6588

JackRussel1 wrote:

If you are using a university/college connection, it most likely runs through a proxy server - which may prevent you from openeing ports on the firewall, and also may prevent you from opening connection types that BF2 requires... It really depends on your connection - this is only a guess since you mention a college connection.
JackRussel1
+3|6579

AT3am_Murd0ch wrote:

JackRussel1 wrote:

If you are using a university/college connection, it most likely runs through a proxy server - which may prevent you from openeing ports on the firewall, and also may prevent you from opening connection types that BF2 requires... It really depends on your connection - this is only a guess since you mention a college connection.
I guess that could be it, people kept telling me that there was no way that ports/connections could be blocked unless it was my computer that was doing it. I was wondering if there was anyone else that had trouble with BF2 while on college networks but had no trouble at home.
AT3am_Murd0ch
+15|6588
Well, i suspect that many people's workplaces dont allow it - and definitely many universities - i've tried (smaller) online games at university and it does not allow it - the game will load, but it will lose the connection. I believe it may be something to do with the proxy server not allowing either use of large amounts of bandwidth per machine, or not allowing large amounts of continuous tcp/ip and udp connections.

Again, i'm only guessing - however you can test this by going to someone's house and trying it out there.
IC_Draconis
+9|6726
I hope I can help you.

First of all, even if you have a T1 connection, make sure you set the connection in-game to 256kbps or better...NOT the T1/LAN. I have problems with that setting even with my 5Mbps connection. That option is obviously for LAN only.

Secondly, update Punkbuster manually from their website. Sometimes BF2 fails to automatically do it.

Leave the 1394 connections...it has nothing to do with BF2. I have 2 of them running while I'm playing and no problem at all.

If you're using Windows Firewall. Make sure you allow BF2.exe, GameSpyArcade.exe and PB.exe (Punkbuster) in the exception window as well.
(Punkbuster had a lot of problem in the last years with Windows Firewall...I usually switch Windows Firewall off while I'm playing...not a big loss of security anyway)

Do you have a router? Are you using wireless connection to the internet?

Provide some more info.

EDIT:

One more thing. I have SF nd I had a lot of disconnection with it. So I uninstalled it and connection problems
disappeared. Of course you can only play on vanilla BF2 maps but you keep the SF weaponry. Just make sure you reinstall SF if you are about to hop forward in rank. Then you can get the SF unlocks as well. After it you can safely uninstall SF again while keeping the new unlocks.

Last edited by IC_Draconis (2006-05-09 03:42:47)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard