superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6752

FYI, i expect to get people disagreeing with my "myths" cause otherwise they wouldn't be myths!  I stand by what I wrote.  Also consider that what I wrote is a generalization of reality on the battlefield.  Stating one incident where what I wrote is disproved does not change the validity of what I believe to be misperceptions.  Yes, sometimes you will get a headshot with a pistol cause they are accurate but that don't change the fact that they only do 20 damage.  Yes, sometimes 13 snipers can be a good strategy but that is rare and the wake island example speaks more to the ineptitude of the other team's pilots (or the supremacy of yours) than to the skill of the snipers.  Trecking halfway across a map (u'll probably die before you get there) to plant all your c4 on an enemy asset that can be repaired in one minute is not efficient when you could have used that time/energy to defend a key flag or cap a flag.  Finally, vehicles ARE better than infantry.  Check your k/d totals in (vehicle vs infantry) in case you don't believe me.  If you like infantry fine...but you will die quicker cause you can always bail out of a burning chopper or apc or tank or plane and still continue on as a footsoldier.

I'm open to counterarguements and i'll even change my original post if you can convince me that I'm wrong.  But give me a good arguement please.
Spearhead
Gulf coast redneck hippy
+731|6660|Tampa Bay Florida
Strongly agree with 1/2, strongly disagree with the other.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6752

Impaqt wrote:

Myth 11 - Take out assets at uncapable base: You contradict yourself here somewhat....  If the commander has to drop a supply crate to repair his arty then thats one less crate that can help his precious tank commando....   ANd in Karkand, theu US Arty and UAV/Scanner are Very far apart.   Taking out a UAV trailer can result in the enemy being blind for a minimum of a minute...   Probobly more....  And arty...  Well..   Busted arty cant kill the 8 guys taking the Train wreck...... 

Impaqt
hmm...yes i do sort of contradict myself.  here's why: as commander on a team that has a non-capable base, i will always pick engi cause there's no need to do anything aside from repair your assets.  most servers have no attacking uncapable bases rules so what else is there to do?  if someone does take em out i usually have them up and running in no time.  if for some reason i am not in the base because i'm fighting (let's say not lots of people in the server) then i will suicide and respawn at base to get destroyed assets back up.  generally speaking I have played spec ops and i know its not easy to get into a non-cap base and destroy assets because with scan the enemy commander will find you before you can do alot of damage.  the most time you can possibly buy with such a tactic is a couple of minutes which from my 100 hrs of commander experience i can say doesn't make a whole lot of difference.  also consider that a spec ops can only take out 2 assets at a time.  its not like they're taking down the whole base.
MB.nZ
+86|6745|New Zealand

superfly_cox wrote:

Planes > Armor > Choppers > Transports > Infantry
Planes > Choppers > Armor > Infantry > Tranports
HeavyMetalDave
Metal Godz
+107|6628|California
1) I can kill with all the kit classes, and assault and sniper are two of the best classes.

2) Why take your advice when all you can do is ride around in a tank? Your're useless on foot.

3) I paid 50 for this game and I will do what I want, I hate people who tell me what to do.

4) Nice 500 round score, looks like boarderline stat padding, plz explain.

5) Since all you've seen is the inside of a tank, you're advice doesn't go far with me.

6) The tank thing again.

7) Did I mention u are a TANK WHORE ONLY.

8) Try other kits, like sniper, since you only play as engy.

9) For a long post it sure was useless.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6752

MB.nZ wrote:

superfly_cox wrote:

Planes > Armor > Choppers > Transports > Infantry
Planes > Choppers > Armor > Infantry > Tranports
no complaints here.  its just that the attack chopper was nerfed pretty badly.  one tank shot and machine gun fire and it blows up.  i would a agree that a good attack chopper should always beat a good armor driver.  also, chopper seem so much more susceptible to anti air missiles.  i just get the feeling that being an attack chopper is much harder lately.  with transports i included the transport choppers which can be pretty effective.  but i can't complain with your rearragement.

HeavyMetalDave wrote:

4) Nice 500 round score, looks like boarderline stat padding, plz explain.
uhm, 500 score?  my best is 122.

Last edited by superfly_cox (2006-04-30 10:18:20)

xintegrityx
set your body ablaze
+37|6699|Louisiana

superfly_cox wrote:

Just cause you paid $50 bucks for the game doesn't give you the right to do whatever you do.
Why are you telling me what I can't and can't do? I paid $50 for the game, and yes, I CAN do whatever the hell I want with it. If I want to race jeeps around Wake Island, I can. If I want to grab a helicopter and blow up my teammates, nobody is stopping me. Now if I'm doing something that the server doesn't like, they have the right to kick/ban me. But I'm gonna play the game the way that's most fun for me, and nobody, especially somebody posting on a forum, can tell me that I have to play the game a certain way.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6752

xintegrityx wrote:

superfly_cox wrote:

Just cause you paid $50 bucks for the game doesn't give you the right to do whatever you do.
Why are you telling me what I can't and can't do? I paid $50 for the game, and yes, I CAN do whatever the hell I want with it. If I want to race jeeps around Wake Island, I can. If I want to grab a helicopter and blow up my teammates, nobody is stopping me. Now if I'm doing something that the server doesn't like, they have the right to kick/ban me. But I'm gonna play the game the way that's most fun for me, and nobody, especially somebody posting on a forum, can tell me that I have to play the game a certain way.
there's a difference between what you CAN and what you SHOULD do.  yes, you can do anything.  should you?  that's the question.  i believe that you should treat others the way you would want to be treated.  you don't have the right to do what you want, you only have the ability to do so because it is close to impossible to get caught doing what you shouldn't.
Dr.Red-Eye
fanneh
+64|6665|Ireland
+1
Souljah
+42|6638
i have to disagree with 7. groundpounders arent that useless if you know how to play infantry just right. sure if your medic or assault and you see a tank roll up you are already at a disadvantage, if you just stand there. i killed countless tanks by running away and hiding to see where hes going, throw a flash at em, and then run to a tow and 1 shot his ass. sometimes i dont even need to throw a flash. i just watch how he spins his turret.

and as for unlocks i agree with you. there not better just different. i have killed many people using their f2000 g36 whatever (including the medic unlock), pkm, and even people using the dao with my ak-101. and whats funny is i read in another thread that people said ea needs to nerf the ak-101. come on people learn how to aim. practice single player if you have to. its no shame. we wont laugh.

also i thought the rock paper scissor order was plane>heli>armor>transport>infantry?
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6617|Peoria

superfly_cox wrote:

Myth 2 - Commanders should never fight: Wrong. If you are a commander then god damnit protect your assets.  Commander's job is to make the team win (hence 2x points for win) so don't listen to those "Commanders Shouldn't Fight" people.  Do what is necessary for your team to win.  If that means scanning and spotting then do it, but don't sit there going "Enemy Boat Spotted" while a chopper flies into your base, takes you flag and destroys all your assets...that's just plain stupid...and I see it all the time.  Also, if you're in a game with 24 players or less then you should do some fighting because with that small a number you're more valuable with a gun then spotting...use UAV, drop arty/supplies and issue orders but that only takes about 10 seconds.  spend the other 50 seconds till those recharge fighting or defending.
I would agree with most of this, except that the commander shouldn't be an active participant in the battle. The commanders time without anything to drop should always be spent zoomed in spotting outside the range
of the UAV. Besides, your team gets no points for commander kills, so its better to have a teammate fight. However, commanders should be the backbone of any defense.

superfly_cox wrote:

Myth 8 - Unlocks are better than original weapons: Unlocks are different than the original weapons.  For the most part the unlocks will only give you different options over the stock weapon.  They all have tradeoffs though.
hear hear, for example, I feel that the MEC and PLA assault weapons are the best in the game. Also, I prefer the USMC shotty over the unlocks

superfly_cox wrote:

Myth 11 - Take out assets at uncapable base: No, this is a waste of time.  If the assets are in an uncapable base then you'll trek a long way to blow something up that the other team's commander will repair in 30 seconds.  So silly when MEC goes to blow up USMC assets on Karkand.  They are always repaired right away and you'll die a number of times before you actually make it through to destroy em.
I disagree, any disruption is good, also, there is a high chance that a noob engineer will grab a tank start repairing the assest, effectively putting the tank out of commission for some 3 extra mins. Which is a long time without a tank.
JeSTeR_Player1
Flying Solo
+98|6741|Canada, Ont
Best Post I've seen here in a couple months...

Regarding Myth 2: Commanders can put themselves at a Flag to Defend, and when spotting an enemy in the area he can Eliminate the Threat and go back to Commanding.
xintegrityx
set your body ablaze
+37|6699|Louisiana

superfly_cox wrote:

there's a difference between what you CAN and what you SHOULD do.
If this is what you meant to begin with, that's what you should have said to begin with. I believe you're just trying to tell people to be respectful of others who want to enjoy the game, which I agree with. But you're coming off in a completely different way.

superfly_cox wrote:

you don't have the right to do what you want, you only have the ability to do so because it is close to impossible to get caught doing what you shouldn't.
Here's where I disagree with you. Why don't I have the right to do whatever I want? It's my game, I paid for it. I can play it however I want to. Of course if I'm doing something detrimental to other players' experiences, e.g. teamkilling purposefully, I'd be stupid to expect everyone to tolerate my behavior. But that doesn't mean I can't play it however I want to. I just don't like people telling me what I can and can't do when I PAID for the right to play MY game.
strangelove
HOBO SPIRIT
+77|6591|the side hatch
good post

i dont understand why using planes for transport isnt done more, i spawn very early and i could take a plane and cap any flag on the map before the enemy reaches it and the plane will respawn...i used to do it all the time in 1942 but dont anymore unless it's a very low pop server, it really makes a lot of people mad though, i think the idea is that if one is a good pilot (which i am not) one would kill all the enemies and not allow them to take a flag and one should stay of the plane if one isnt a good pilot...

although in 9/10 times i see pilots flying and trying to bomb when they could easily bail and cap an undefended flag behind the lines and be a huge asset to the team...i dont know the answer but the game really does have a problem, the number of people who ONLY want to fly is huge and often i dont think they want the plane to rack up points, they just want to fly for the sake of flying
kingusjordanus
+16|6616|my dads balls
hey, some of these myths are pretty good, but as a person who play spec ops a lot since i finished my 100 hours as sniper, dropping supplies to repair assets, is like christmas for us, thank you keep doing it.  all it means is, free ammo for us, and you lose that asset again, and if the spec ops soldier in question is any good, they will have it destroyed before you get to use it again, so please, keep the supply crates comin, and we will do the same with C4 on your UAV trailer.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6752

come on folks...doesn't anybody have some good "myths" to bust?  post em please!
skywalker107
+2|6550
How about the myths of always squading up, Or you don't need a mic when in a squad.

I have played a bunch both in and out of a squad and with/without a mic.  From my experience without a mic in a squad kinda sucks..kinds sucks real bad. And as far as squading up in general i think there is a time for squading up and a time to stay lonewolf (sniper).
slicknic
+145|6596
heres a controversial one (no bad karma plz =[) 

myth - tossing c4 is a glitch   (pre nerf of course) 
you could go into single player and throw it as fast as u wanted(only on servers u have ping), therefore it was in the game as is, it -was- meant to be able to blow up immediately 

bring on the flames \o/
GetOutOfMyTankNoob
+3|6546
I agree with everything but the pistol comment:
"Myth 6 - The pistols snipe quite well: No they don't.  They snipe well compared to a shotgun but come on!  Let's be serious.  I always laugh when I hear people extolling the virtues of being able to take out targets at distance with the pistol.  Give me an M16 and you take a pistol and let's see who wins the long distance shoot out."

The M16 has the advantage of damage and twice as many bullets. Of course it will own in a fight against a pistol.
However, if you have a kit with a rifle, you don't need to snipe with your pistol. Pistol is meant to be used for medium-long range fights for the AT and Engineer kits, which lack a weapon to fill that role. How about you take a pump shotty and I take a pistol, walk 25m apart, and see who wins then?
Chef
+2|6620
First to say +1 for post

alot of it is comon sence to the seaoned player coz you know strong tactics and after you have played 100 hours or so in a armour/plane/helo you are good and you want it and know fast ways to get what you want ie myth taking plane for helo

there is only one i disagree with assult is a very strong class for ground pounding on city maps flashes and smoke well improved the class the only problem is when nubs (no offence ment but there is always 1 or 2 on a server)  are not there for tactics but to run in and kill it  is not worth blinding 3 or 4 of your own team, but capping a flag flash in and you can walk in knife out and there is a scared red name shivering in the corner it is a very satisfing kill

YES comanders fight but not in tank/helos/planes as comander i believe there biggest defence is UAV arty etc but if they go down he should be the first ones there to repaire there for the attacks from defence always in a jeep etc so he can be the first to defend the main base

MYTH : 154

spawn raping GOOD thing or BAD thing

everyone has done it i try my hardest not to but there are times when you need to example 20 tickets to go on both team i am in a tank i will dive in and base karnage to get the win. it is wrong i believe when the round has just started and then -  jet run or tank sat on a side street and that is all you can do sheesh i leave server it is better than getting pissed off and smashing another mouse
Citizen One
한국 공주
+338|6619|South Korea.
Some of those loss respect from me, others made me go "yeah maybe" but all in all, I dont think I needed to read that, no offence or anything i'm sure some new players would find this usefull.
dankassasin42o
+68|6649|Reefersyde, CA

superfly_cox wrote:

Myth 3 - Snipers make a difference: I don't want to be a sniper basher because the sniper is useful in small amounts...One or two (at most three if on 64).  To hit a target at long range that target generally needs to be standing still.  Good players know not to stand still or prone for very long or to run in a straight line.  They bob and weave and dive and jump and take strafe from side to side.  And they'll go prone only at the last minute when firing, just to jump up again when they're done.  So who stands still?  Usually snipers...   Since a sniper ain't too good at close quarter combat, and they don't hit moving targets well the snipers are a class that are really there to neutralize the other team's snipers.  Yes, I've seen the sniper vids that people keep posting but keep in mind those spectacular shots are a highlight reel of the best players in the world!  I'm not bashing the sniper class...i'm just trying to put it into perspective.  Snipers have a role to play but "sniper superiority" will not help you win any games.

1st, you are way wrong here.    i can 1 shot kill you while you move, duck, jump, dive doesnt matter.   I DO NOT stand still.   2nd as a sniper ill be the 1st on into your base, and get the cap points for it.    3rd, ill take the win on my own as a sniper if need be.   4th Im AM NOT The best in the world.   5th  play a single round with me as a sniper, you'll be cryin for me to leave you alone.    also i mite end that round with a bad score or even negitive K/D   but that'll be cuz ill show you how PESKY a good aggressive sniper is.   (meaning id only target you.)  and 6th just because you SUCK at sniping.   doesnt mean EVERY sniper sucks at CQC.   

7th it take me no more then 2 shots to take a target down, 90% of the time just 1.   Ill start a frest round, by the time i load my 3rd clip ill have 10 kills 0 deaths,  thank you.
ShellShock.PwN
+31|6758|Barrie Ontario
I strongly disagree with #5, If you have a squad holding a flag and asking form supplies your god damn right ill give them the supplies. The EXACT thing happend to me the other day, my squad was holding the flag 4 snipers on a roof holding the flag..we each got atleast 15 kills apiece..i ask commander for Supplies he said no and that the tank needed them cause he was base rapping their main. in the end we got raped cause we had no bullets, we lost the flag and then the round. Moral of the story...Snipers own all and they need ammo
ComradeWho
+50|6665|Southern California
Pretty good

I have to say a couple of things though.

First of all a good sniper is more valuable than the 15 to 30 people the sniper will kill and keep dead a game (which by the way is five to 10 percent of total tickets in a 64 person server).  I'm a sniper and finding a good spot and being successful does a couple of things beyond just killing more than one's fair share of enemies. I have shut down enemy transportation routes and kept enemies out of critical areas.  This is valuable disruption of enemy players thinking and movement even if an area isn't critical in and of itself. The opposite is also valuable.  My team benefits when players go on a sniper-hunt and try to gun me down from a long distance.  Better that enemy infantry be focused on far off snipers than on the combat that they specialize in.

Also I have literally stopped advances as a sniper. You don't have to be that effective to stop an advance either. You just have to take out one or two enemies to effect the way the rest of them play. If you take out a few soldiers you will see enemy going from offensive to defensive mode very quickly.  There are a lot of snipers here that taught their personal greatness but snipers effect on the way that the game is played is not understood correctly.

Just a knit-picky thing,
It's important to drop supply boxes on your key performers and squads when they request it.  This keeps them happy and working hard.  This is especially true when your key performers are the ones taking "paths less traveled" and keeping your team ahead by capping the unguarded flags - if they are engaging in combat which is isolated from the main body of your team and asking for supplies they probably need them and the investment is worth it.

Last edited by ComradeWho (2006-04-30 18:15:20)

Metamort
+19|6655

[netsas]knight wrote:

Myth 7 - Using Vehicles is Cheap: Nope.  Here's how the game breaks down  Planes > Armor > Choppers > Transports > Infantry.  Sorry to disappoint all you footsoldiers out there but you are at a pretty big disadvantage.  You're slow, you're weak, you have little fire power and you're only redeeming quality is that you are small and agile.  This is not counter strike.  Ignore the "they got no skills, they're just a vehicle whore" comments.  Learn to use the vehicles.  Otherwise find another game...you'll be much happier

was going to give you a -1 for this but didnt .i personally do think that any cunt can get in a drive armour and kill, it does take a footsoldier though to win the game iam sorry to piss you off but you have just typed the 2nd biggest load of bollocks i have found on this site 2day .

All the others are very true but i really disagree with that one .As for foot soldiers being weak nope not if you like at Anit-Tank and special op those 2 classes can own and hold back any armour on karkand .Ive been on many servers where the yank team hadnt been able to get one flag and just base raped for fun .Its called foot soldiers working as a team and owning hard.
Pssh, I love when people think anyone can get in armor and kill. It's just all the more enemy armor to blow away easily.

I play a 24/7 karkand on my clan server. On MEC or US my team wins when I'm in the tank. I can almost gaurentee it. Yes, if I'm the only tank against an organised US team with engineers together, I'll probably lose the battle. But in a tank, you have to use a lot of things to stay alive. My 62 kill streak is in a tank, and probably >20 of those kills were armor and another 20 AT, not just medics and assault and spawncamping. The server doesn't allow spawncamping.

However, when some random guy gets in a tank, here's what I see.

Drive up to Hotel. Kill 3-6 infantry. Get killed by SpecOps. Rinse and Repeat.

They're not paying attention to the commander, to UAV, or the minimap in general. They don't move around enough, they're just stationary. They don't help to cap flags or provide covering fire for their teammates. They're just in the tank for some kills, not to use it for it's full potential.

Yes if you have the infantry working together they can really own. But it's the same if the armor is working together.

Most importantly about armor is that enemy armor comes first. Many people go for infantry and just get owned as soon as an enemy tank rolls up, or they're damaged enough one AT rocket takesthem out. I go for infantry during the 25 or so seconds it takes for the tanks and APCs to respawn at come back ... then I kill them again and get on with killing infantry. How many people can say that? The fact is, although yes, people can get some kills in armor without really trying, it takes skill to really be good, and this is the part few people understand as far as I've seen.

+1 to the OP, I agree with most of these.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard