Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6649|USA
thank you REMO
GunSlinger OIF II
Banned.
+1,860|6660

remo wrote:

No.  They don't airdrop MBTs ... an Abrams is 67 tons, and using the "big-ass parachutes" (tm) it would take like 50 of them.  Rumors are they tried it once and failed miserably.

Only the C-5 can carry them (of course, it can carry anything) ... and the C-5 doesn't do LAPES (low altitude parachute extraction system).  Even if they did, I doubt any taxpayer would be happy about the possible consequences of ruining an Abrams on a stunt like that!

Conclusion ... tanks aren't tactical vehicles.  Tanks are used for major combat actions.
tanks ARE tactical vehicles and they are used for more than major combat operations
kessel!
Peruvian Cocaine
+261|6781|Toronto Canada
ome
Spark
liquid fluoride thorium reactor
+874|6691|Canberra, AUS

vpyroman wrote:

Eah, I doubt that there are only humvees. I suspect Tanks as well, i guess the request will be Light, Medium, and Heavy mechanized drops.
It is possible to airdrop a tank. But I seriously doubt they would put such things in the game. Imagine a tank on the carrier in Wake Island! Spwnpwnt! I think it'll just be humvees and not anything else - make it simpler to choose in the command menu.

Their greatest worth, I think, is to give transport to isloated units - such as people who have bailed out of helis, or squads that HAD an APC which started to fry. It avoids people having to make the sometimes very long trek to the next flag - helping your team AND getting you more points.
The paradox is only a conflict between reality and your feeling what reality ought to be.
~ Richard Feynman
jnick
+22|6799
I highly doubt there will be tank drops. Either Hummers or Buggys - that's all. I would hope that ENEMY uncaps are immune from vehicle drops.

Last edited by jnick (2006-04-27 17:55:20)

Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6649|USA
look, this isnt ur kind of air drop, this is low flying... NOT HIGH PARACHUTE air drop

http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/c-130-18.jpg
kontrolcrimson
Get your body beat.
+183|6844|Australia
easy thing to do, is play on servers that dont allow vehicles in uncaps. a few people banned should stop the drops in uncaps quick.
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6738|Sydney, Australia
As for the lighter vehicles:

https://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/sys/ac/blackhawk2.jpg

And yes, it's our very own blackhawk.

Now, about those tanks.....
remo
+20|6593

<{SoE}>Agamemnar wrote:

Sarrk wrote:

That would be one fucking large parachute for a tank!

I spose, I reckon it would be two tanks total but a delay of seven mins

Oh but then there would be commander abusers, people who get commander, run off, drop a tank and resign
There are tank drops IRL. Those huge helicopters with 6 rotors drop them off in locations cut-off otherwise.
Yes, but those aren't MBTs (main battle tanks) ... a modern MBT is usually 60+ tons (because of armor).  What you're seeing carried by helos are usually artillery pieces and less-armored/smaller tanks and trucks.  The only plane that can carry an Abrams is the C-5 ... helos just plain don't have the power.
remo
+20|6593

Naughty_Om wrote:

look, this isnt ur kind of air drop, this is low flying... NOT HIGH PARACHUTE air drop

Yes, that's a LAPES (low altitude parachute extraction system) drop.  And note that it's NOT an MBT ... looks like a Sherman to me.

Last edited by remo (2006-04-28 09:56:13)

Naughty_Om
Im Ron Burgundy?
+355|6649|USA
it does doesnt it, and i feel like being inside that tank would be REAAALY violent and painful.
Pfc. Leemus
Ownerer via the strategic use of bullets
+20|6624|N.S.W, Australia

FesterTheMolester wrote:

I BELIEV IT IS CALLED OPERATION DUMBO DROP, a movie staring danny glover

it would be badass if a dune buggy would drop at karkand, that would be sick beyond belief, i can just imagine tearing down the main road, and hitting the jump by he square just to go flying and land right at the market cp,

FLYING BUGGY FTW
Surely you mean to drop an elephant laden with crew serviced machine guns into karkand....right?
WilhelmSissener
Banned
+557|6750|Oslo, Norway
<3 tank at the wake carrier <3
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6733

WilhelmSissener wrote:

<3 tank at the wake carrier <3
lol... a 50 cal jeep would do a lot of damage already, a tank? i can imagine lol... the spawn raping
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
8ball
+1|6757
humvees on airstrip
bit more effective than supplies
exodus-17
+2|6589
*cough* *cough* video game *cough* *cough*
BVC
+325|6712
A heavy transport on an accessible roof could be of immense strategic value to a savvy commander; elevated .50cal machinegun post with a 360 degree firing arc, anyone?

Last edited by Pubic (2006-04-30 01:53:40)

agwood
+18|6656|I Fight for Bush !!
YEAAAHH... air dropping an M-1 is a little far fetched, not that it couldnt be done but why when our ARMY brotheren can take down nearly any airfield in a matter of hours. hhhoooooaaah

CORRECTION though, the C-5 is not the only airlifter that can handle the M-1, dont forget the C-17. By far the most kick ass airlifter we have in our fleet, unlike the C-5 it can do tactical and strategic airlift all in 1 package plus we have a crapload of them.. soon to be expanded to a shitload. when you absolutely have to go somewhere shitty.. you can count on the C-17 to roll up to take you.. heh...

http://www.aerospaceweb.org/aircraft/tr … c17_27.jpg

Last edited by agwood (2006-04-30 02:39:15)

l41e
+677|6665

remo wrote:

Naughty_Om wrote:

Yes, that's a LAPES (low altitude parachute extraction system) drop.  And note that it's NOT an MBT ... looks like a Sherman to me.
M551 Sheridan.
Puppy
+11|6678
its cool how u get these drops but wat happens to the ones already on the maps...
DavidianCox
...from the internet
+60|6674|Birmingham

daffytag wrote:

I worry about flying through the skys when vehicles are falling all around you
same here man, supply crates and uav are hard enough as it is. lol
computermash
+7|6681
LMAO,
Vehicle drops, gonna have fun with the arnt we, Yeah, spawn a tank on the Mashtuur city US heli pad. Ontop of the building. FUN!!..

Remind me what the commander gets 4 this?

Last edited by computermash (2006-04-30 12:08:09)

Stormscape666
+2|6648|Soviet Canuckistan
He gets vehicle requests every 4 seconds for the whole round.
Elamdri
The New Johnnie Cochran
+134|6663|Peoria

Pubic wrote:

A heavy transport on an accessible roof could be of immense strategic value to a savvy commander; elevated .50cal machinegun post with a 360 degree firing arc, anyone?
yeah....ug....karkand hotel....shudder

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard