eskimo_sammyjoe
Did someone say tea?
+112|6252|S.A. Australia
Thats why my I was glad my bike was fluro yellow, it made me easier to see to cars.  That said, there's always going to be douchebags who don't look hard enough or just ignore you and cut in front.
Serious Flex
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6237|Phoenix, AZ

Uzique wrote:

godfather: his 250cc only tops out at 122mph so that's "not death" worthy?

you can die at 20-30mph on a bike if you crash the right way

just because it's not a fast-accelerating, high-performance beast of a bike

doesn't mean a dumb driver wont pull out and cause you to jacknife going at reasonable speeds

bikes are death-traps compared to cars, simple fact. just by design. you're vulnerable and susceptible to other's stupidity, period.
Do you ride a motorcycle?

Do you know of fast a motorcycle that tops out at 122mph goes? I've ridden a 250 they're not very fast.

Most new riders die when they out-ride their riding capability. You would know this is you've ever taken any riding courses. They try to drive that point home. DON'T OUT RIDE YOUR ABILITIES.

That being said, it's going to take a while for a 250 to top out. Meaning it wont accelerate fast. Meaning he wont easily find himself in a position he can't handle. Like him suddenly going 120mph in a situation where 70mph is too fast. THAT HAPPENS ON FAST BIKES AND PEOPLE DIE FROM IT. A LOT.

bikes are death-traps compared to cars, simple fact. just by design. you're vulnerable and susceptible to other's stupidity, period.

Definition of 'trap' wrote:

3.  A confining or undesirable circumstance from which escape or relief is difficult
If you think it's difficult to escape from a motorcycle then your crazy. If anything a CAR is a death trap, full of glass and hard objects and surrounded by metal. You don't generally sit on traps.

you can die at 20-30mph on a bike if you crash the right way
You can die at many speeds if you angle your self the right way.

By your logic, anything that has two wheels and goes at least 20-30mph is a death trap?

I was ejected off my bike at 50mph into oncoming traffic and I'm fine.

If I were in a car, I would have hit one of the trees I flew past. If I hit one of those trees in a car I would probably be dead. I would have been stuck INSIDE the car with nowhere for my body to go. I would have decelerated from 50mph to 0mph in an instant rather than over a few seconds. My bones would have snapped and my neck would have probably broken.

I'm glad I was on a motorcycle when I crashed. I had more time to decelerate (less force) and came out with only road rash.

Last edited by GodFather (2010-05-24 22:24:22)

Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6488
jesus christ did you just interpret the term 'death-trap' literally?

more often than not being exposed, i.e. not within a metal frame, vastly increases your risk of injury and chance of death.

anecdotal evidence aint gonna refute the obvious trend
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6237|Phoenix, AZ

Uzique wrote:

jesus christ did you just interpret the term 'death-trap' literally?

more often than not being exposed, i.e. not within a metal frame, vastly increases your risk of injury and chance of death.

anecdotal evidence aint gonna refute the obvious trend
Jesus christ did you just use a 'rhetorical question'?

Last time I checked, 'death-trap' wasn't a metaphor. Usually it means you can't escape to save your life.

So yes I believe that defining it for you was relevant.

Air bags and a metal frame will protect you if you roll down a hill, or get tboned, or get hit head on from a drunk driver. Not really going to help you at 120mph. Motorcycles are considered dangerous because they go so fast.

Lets get this statistic.

In professional racing, who walks away from an accident most often? A motorcycle racer, or an f1 driver?

My point is wear the right gear, don't go insanely fast, and don't get run over and you've got pretty good odds of surviving an accident.

Last edited by GodFather (2010-05-24 22:39:57)

KingCheese
Paul Scholes
+77|6602|England

GodFather wrote:

It's a 250, it tops out at what like 112mph. Not that dangerous @ people saying death.
I would say that sounded incredibly dangerous.  And yes, I've been riding bikes for circa 15 years so I do know what I'm talking about.  Like it or not, you are so much more at the mercy of other road users than you are in a car.  Unfortunately your body doesn't come with crumple zones or airbags.  The attitude of "oh it's only a 250, not that dangerous" is just stupid.  My uncle was killed on "only a 250" by a drunk driver. Had he been in a car all those lovely safety features would have probably turned a fatal accident into nothing more than scratches and bruises.

Having said all that, enjoy your bike Mitch, I'm sure you'll have lots of fun.  Get some decent leathers, boots, gloves and a helmet that fits you well and don't fall into the "only a 250" mentality.

Last edited by KingCheese (2010-05-25 02:07:58)

"My best moment? I have a lot of good moments but the one I prefer is when I kicked the hooligan." - Eric Cantona.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
+510|5491|Ventura, California
They're freaking awesome - but you need to get it in green not red.

https://indianautosblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/02/2008-kawasaki-ninja-250r.jpg

Last edited by -Sh1fty- (2010-05-25 02:25:58)

And above your tomb, the stars will belong to us.
DrunkFace
Germans did 911
+427|6698|Disaster Free Zone

GodFather wrote:

If I were in a car, I would have hit one of the trees I flew past. If I hit one of those trees in a car I would probably be dead. I would have been stuck INSIDE the car with nowhere for my body to go. I would have decelerated from 50mph to 0mph in an instant rather than over a few seconds. My bones would have snapped and my neck would have probably broken.

I'm glad I was on a motorcycle when I crashed. I had more time to decelerate (less force) and came out with only road rash.
haha that gave me a good chuckle, keep em coming.
CammRobb
Banned
+1,510|6147|Carnoustie MASSIF
Godfather you're a fucking idiot. Motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. Fact.

In a car you have so much more protection, crumple zones, sips, airbags, that big fuck off lump of metal at the back of the engine bay. On a bike you have noting to protect you, save for a helmet and some leathers.

Why do you think you're immune on a bike? That's the impression your giving me. Any number of things outwith your control can happen, and you can't prevent it.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
Car drivers aren't always looking out for people on motorcycle. More often than not it's the car's fault. I'm generalizing, because the motorcyclist could have been a dick too though.

So since some people here think motorcycles are less dangerous, lets produce a few examples shall we?

So imagine you're in your Volkswagen Gold cruising at 60km/h along a curvy road and you start sliding due to bad road conditions (ice, water, whatever you want) and you hit a tree head on at 60. You're going to have the airbag blow and protect your face. Worst case scenario is you have a little burn mark on your chest from the seatbelt and a broken nose.

Now you're on your Kawasaki Ninja with your helmet and leathers cruising at 60km/h. You start to lose control of your bike. Tons of things could happen. Best case scenario is you fall off your bike and slide. Worst case is you hit the tree head on, and get thrown head first into that tree. I don't care if you're wearing a helmet, say hello to life support.

Every situation you can imagine, the motorcyclist is going to be in worse condition almost every time. Maybe the fact you're on something smaller will help avoid an accident, but once you're in an accident you're better off being inside a Golf than on a 250 motorcycle.
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6576|Hungary
Its sexy!
Metal-Eater-GR
I can haz titanium paancakez?
+490|6290
I'd love to own a bike, but that's a deathwish around here in Greece. Shitty roads, but asshole drivers on the most part. Very nice mitch, hope you have fun
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6640|Little Bentcock
you're welcome
jord
+2,382|6695|The North, beyond the wall.
I was in a car crash Saturday, glad I was in a car.

Id love to have a bike though, can't afford it. Lessons and the actual bike and gear, sigh.

Have fun.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty
mcminty
Moderating your content for the Australian Govt.
+879|6738|Sydney, Australia

CammRobb wrote:

Godfather you're a fucking idiot. Motorcycles are more dangerous than cars. Fact.

In a car you have so much more protection, crumple zones, sips, airbags, that big fuck off lump of metal at the back of the engine bay. On a bike you have noting to protect you, save for a helmet and some leathers.

Why do you think you're immune on a bike? That's the impression your giving me. Any number of things outwith your control can happen, and you can't prevent it.
This.

Also:

GodFather wrote:

In professional racing, who walks away from an accident most often? A motorcycle racer, or an f1 driver?
Invalid. Neither of those vehicles are designed for normal road use.

Try looking at fatality rates in motorcycle accidents vs. car accidents. It is a simple statistical fact that you are more likely to die when involved in a motorcycle crash than a car crash.
jord
+2,382|6695|The North, beyond the wall.
I still wish I had a motorbike. Ahhhh
ghettoperson
+1,943|6666

mcminty wrote:

CammRobb wrote:

This.

Also:

GodFather wrote:

Invalid. Neither of those vehicles are designed for normal road use.

Try looking at fatality rates in motorcycle accidents vs. car accidents. It is a simple statistical fact that you are more likely to die when involved in a motorcycle crash than a car crash.
TBH, it's more to do with the fact that you're not going to get taken out my someone who didn't look when merging when you're racing. It's all well and good when you can just slide along the road, but if there's other traffic on the road, second you come off you're going under someone truck, and that shit is not fun.

TL;DR Godfather is a fucking moron.
pace51
Boom?
+194|5190|Markham, Ontario
So mitch, hows the bike?

You haven't posted since the deadline you got it.

Ummm... coincidence?

Last edited by pace51 (2010-05-25 06:18:55)

13rin
+977|6496
GodFather:   Yea, bikes are more dangerous than cars.  I cringe at every blind intersection I go through knowing I may not exit said intersection alive in one piece.  That goes with owing a bike, we both know it.  Yea... In some accidents I'd rather be on a bike than in a car, however in many cases, we cannot choose what type of accident we will be in.  That said, in most cases I'd rather be in a car if I'm gonna wreck...

I do think that Mitch should get a cruiser style motorcycle to start on though.  Even a 250cc sport will take off pretty quick.  I really believe that keeping me off a motorcycle until I turned 30 was a good idea (self imposed).  I've got no death wish now and have people I care about.  This has tailored my riding style so that I ride my Ducati at safer speeds opposed to how I would have been riding at 18 years old...
I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6612|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA
Car's have the right of fucking way. You had better get out of my goddamn way you crotch rocket whores because I don't give a shit.
13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6514

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Car's have the right of fucking way. You had better get out of my goddamn way you crotch rocket whores because I don't give a shit.
https://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1408/smartcar.jpg
seymorebutts443
Ready for combat
+211|6612|Belchertown Massachusetts, USA

burnzz wrote:

seymorebutts443 wrote:

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/1408/smartcar.jpg
https://image.motortrend.com/f/images/9687208+pheader/9508_MTRP_01_I_WRAP-C.jpg

also, touche sir touche.

Last edited by seymorebutts443 (2010-05-25 07:12:59)

13urnzz
Banned
+5,830|6514

lol, i knew that was coming! :p
13rin
+977|6496

seymorebutts443 wrote:

Here's the typical ass hat driver's mentality.  And no, cars don't always have the legal right of way.  Go back to drivers ed.  You in part are the reason I take off when lights change and I blow by you on the interstate.  I get the fuck away from 4 wheeler morons such as yourself.  You guys are dangerous.

Last edited by DBBrinson1 (2010-05-25 07:34:10)

I stood in line for four hours. They better give me a Wal-Mart gift card, or something.  - Rodney Booker, Job Fair attendee.
-Sh1fty-
plundering yee booty

pace51 wrote:

So mitch, hows the bike?

You haven't posted since the deadline you got it.

Ummm... coincidence?
Very big coincidence. He actually now has a pair and he's not spending his afternoons on a fucking gaming forum. You'll bag chicks with that baby any day.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard