Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida
Maybe you guys could help.

What are some important things to check when buying a used sport/street bike. Im refering to a jap bike not a cruiser or chopper.

I see a bunch for sale on craigslist, and almost every ad says "never been abused or raced" but i hear them racing by my house all the time so i know that can't be true in most cases, especially when its a fast bike for sale.

So i guess my questions are:

*1. How do i know if a bike has been abused, and if it has been raced a lot how much more likely is it that it will break down?
*2. I've still yet to see a bike for sale with more than 15,000 miles. Do bikes die after that much use? I would imagine that they would go for as long as a car.
*3. What are the typical things that crap out on a bike? Are repairs easily done by yourself (or a mechanic friend)?

I just dont want to spend 3-4000 on a bike and have something break on it. I intend to drive it a lot because of the good fuel economy.
15 more years! 15 more years!
Ultrafunkula
Hector: Ding, ding, ding, ding...
+1,975|6466|6 6 4 oh, I forget

"never been abused or raced"

...right.

Be sure to check the front for wear and tear. You should see if some amateur with no skills has been doing wheelies with the bike. Ask how often the oils have been changed and what else the owner has done when changing the oil. Don't ask directly if he has changed the filters etc, let him tell you so he'll get busted if he's trying to lie. Check for dents in the frame. Check the chain and the gear. When you take it for a testdrive give it hell. That way you'll notice if the engine is running properly.

Maybe try find a built streetfighter style of bike if you're into those. The owners usually tear the thing apart completely and build it up properly with good parts from Roaring Toyz and so on. Tho they prolly have seen some serious wheelies and stoppies.

That should get you started. Actually go to a bikedealer and ask about some random, let's say a -01 model bike, what repairs and stuff has been done to it and how often. That way you get some hints on what to ask from a private seller.
Adams_BJ
Russian warship, go fuck yourself
+2,053|6615|Little Bentcock
buy it new.
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida

Adams_BJ wrote:

buy it new.
This is an option, however my budget is 4000 and the cheapest new bike is a gs500f which costs 4600. I could afford that but i would prefer not to considering i still need to register and pay insurance for it.

Benefits: you know its brand new, not abused.
cons: you can find a faster bike for cheaper used.
cons: that used bike might be abused and might not last as long

im torn between the two.

can anyone answer the milage question?
Adams_BJ
you can get a 250 for ~2 over there
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida
Ok heres an example:

http://syracuse.craigslist.org/mcy/1748467674.html
That bike used

or
http://www.knhmotorsports.com/showcasep … ;Type=1787
This bike, 2009, new for slightly more.

The first bike is a lot faster and cheaper, isnt it?

well no, its engine is half the size? 250cc compared to 500cc? hmmmmm.

Last edited by Mitch (2010-05-22 06:15:23)

Adams_BJ
Dont buy a special edition ninja

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/kawasak … /250r.html

MSRP 3999. I believe that is on budget, add a little for whatever crazy taxes you get over there and you're gonna have to pay that much anyway, plus the piece of mind that it isn't going to fall apart while going down the freeway in peak hour trafick because the guy you bought it off completely fucked it up while doing some redneck engineering on it.

Also on the point of 'fast' a 250 can go 0-100 in 6.5-7 seconds, how fast could you want it to be? Also you made the comment you liked the fuel economy? Don't get much better to be honest..

With cars buy second hand all you want, with bikes, don't risk it.. you WILL die if something goes wrong.
11 Bravo
Banned
+965|5230|Cleveland, Ohio

Adams_BJ wrote:

buy it new.
I agree.  I never buy used cars either.  I do not trust people.
hawaythelads
We are PREMIER LEAGUE!
+84|6479|Newcastle Upon Tyne.
tbh i would go for a bike that you enjoy riding over the specs and price etc, obviously you have to find one in your price range.

I think 15,000 miles spent riding a bike is more than enough for anyone
Mitch
16 more years
+877|6518|South Florida

Adams_BJ wrote:

Dont buy a special edition ninja

http://www.motorcycle.com/specs/kawasak … /250r.html

MSRP 3999. I believe that is on budget, add a little for whatever crazy taxes you get over there and you're gonna have to pay that much anyway, plus the piece of mind that it isn't going to fall apart while going down the freeway in peak hour trafick because the guy you bought it off completely fucked it up while doing some redneck engineering on it.

Also on the point of 'fast' a 250 can go 0-100 in 6.5-7 seconds, how fast could you want it to be? Also you made the comment you liked the fuel economy? Don't get much better to be honest..

With cars buy second hand all you want, with bikes, don't risk it.. you WILL die if something goes wrong.
Sweet! Ill have to find a dealer around who has it for that price. You sold me.
Adams_BJ
Well thats good. Have you any riding experience? If you don't keep in mind if you do enjoy it that there are always larger bikes you can buy when you can afford it. I've riden 50's all the way up to litre sportbikes and higher on cruisers. BU tI wouldn't start on the big ones at all, too heavy for low speed stuff if you can't control it and too much torque if you slip a little and hold on to the throttle while you fall. Usually ends in you -> slow object.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard