CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6621|Medford, WI
has anyone else listened to it yet? Personally I think its great, my favorite has to be your love, but don't fear the reaper and dream on are also good
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694
That's a far stretch from the kind of punk music I grew up on.

I guess what I considered punk growing up was a mix of punk rock, punk pop, and ska.

I suppose it changes with the generations...

Last edited by Superior Mind (2010-05-19 21:46:53)

DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America

CosmoKramer wrote:

has anyone else listened to it yet? Personally I think its great, my favorite has to be your love, but don't fear the reaper and dream on are also good
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=shB6szskJWU
While I enjoy all of the songs you mentioned in this post, I am a bit at these covers. The ones I've listened to so far seem to be lacking the certain "punkish" quality I would expect. For instance, The Clash's version of "I Fought the Law" is fucking and they managed to make it their own, but what I've seen here sound like straight up covers, which is also weird when the original band has a more punk rock attitude than the cover band.
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom

Superior Mind wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x30jgxnfBzM

I guess what I considered punk growing up was a mix of punk rock, punk pop, and ska.

green day aint punk

is what all the white kids I went to high school would say who had all the dead kennedy patches attached to their back packs with safety pins
Tu Stultus Es
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6472
green day are to punk what the jonas brothers are to 'heavy rock'.

punk is dead.

thank god.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694

eleven bravo wrote:

Superior Mind wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x30jgxnfBzM

green day aint punk

is what all the white kids I went to high school would say who had all the dead kennedy patches attached to their back packs with safety pins

Uzique wrote:

green day are to punk what the jonas brothers are to 'heavy rock'.

punk is dead.

thank god.
Like I said, I think what music was defined as punk changed drastically from the days of The Clash until now. I'm not saying Green Day was the definition of punk music. However, that is what it was refered to as when I was growing up. I was always aware that Green Day was something very different from true punk music. But if not punk rock, what could (note: old) Green Day be classified as?

I am in full agreement with both of you. Plus new Green Day is the faggiest, sell out shit.

Last edited by Superior Mind (2010-05-20 08:38:36)

eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
Alternative.  I was listening to alternative when green day got popular and thats how I always viewed them.
Tu Stultus Es
eleven bravo
+1,399|5261|foggy bottom
why do british rock bands have american accents and why do american bands have british accents?
Tu Stultus Es
DesertFox-
The very model of a modern major general
+794|6686|United States of America

eleven bravo wrote:

why do british rock bands have american accents and why do american bands have british accents?
I have a feeling we don't listen to the same bands, so please do elaborate with examples.

Also, the cover of "Pour Some Sugar on Me" is actually worth a damn, whereas most of the others were utterly destroyed, e.g., "More Than A Feeling"
Superior Mind
(not macbeth)
+1,755|6694

eleven bravo wrote:

Alternative.  I was listening to alternative when green day got popular and thats how I always viewed them.
Yeah, I never understood what alternative was. Seeing as how the word could potentially encompass so much.
CosmoKramer
CC you in October
+131|6621|Medford, WI
not on that album, but i recently found this cover, from one of my favorites, a day to remember

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard