Slayer
---hates you
+1,137|6795|Hell, p.o box 666

hm, like I´ve said, we bought this TOP-card for 280 €uros (I guess 360 US-$), the non-oc version is about 270. I dont think that those 10 bucks diffrence are a great deal. I havent oc´ed anything by now (ok my old 5950 Ultra sometimes) but I´ll have a try when I´m upgrading my 1st. system with Quad-SLI or G80.

Thanks for the advice about the cooler m8.
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6755
np, ive seen a 7900gt overclock beyond speeds of the 7900gtx!!! it was an extreme overclock, and no its not liquid nitrogen... or water cool! it was pure air cooling   http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=3437
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6734|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
wow, i wanna get my core to 800mhz on my 7900GTX, its on 710 now with mem at 1.9ghz, ill put that up to 2ghz as well
Cybargs
Moderated
+2,285|6755

.ACB|_Cutthroat1 wrote:

wow, i wanna get my core to 800mhz on my 7900GTX, its on 710 now with mem at 1.9ghz, ill put that up to 2ghz as well
i think u can if u volt mod it and use a vf900cu
https://cache.www.gametracker.com/server_info/203.46.105.23:21300/b_350_20_692108_381007_FFFFFF_000000.png
Stealth42o
She looked 18 to me officer
+175|6710

cyborg_ninja-117 wrote:

Stealth42o wrote:

Nvidia 6000 series will run BF2 just fine.  7000 series will run it really well.  As far as on board RAM.  512 is nice, overkill though unless your running a 30' moniter with a monster res.  256 will be just fine.
its not just that, but the 7900gtx has higher clock speeds and faster memory speeds
Yea the 7900 series has a faster memory/core frequancy.  I think what he was asking is money wise.  So he can get buy with no problems wit the 6000 series.

With that said.  Save up the extra 100 or so and get the 7900 gt.  Asus is the best manufacture imo.  I have had 5 different types and asus has always been rock solid. 

"You get what you pay for". This statement is very true for computer hardware.
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6810|PNW

Maj.Do wrote:

when is nvidias next card coming out, you think there will be some kind of demo at e3
Optimist speculation places the G80's at June/July. I think it's more likely you'll see them late Q3, if not Q4 this year. Suits me fine. I'm not getting a new system unless I can't run Unreal 2007 at full details when it comes out (which is pretty obvious).
geko42
+4|6619|Reefersyde, CA
ya i dont have a set buget i am most likely to spend on average $200-$400 but maby more (sorry didnt say sooner) hmmm but ya for a little more then $100 i could get the single gtx.(ill just have to keep my roomate from trying to over clock it more)
again thank you every one when i get the system built i will post all the speces and the bench marks when its done (a month or 2)

as of right now im looking at the:
-64 3800 (i have overclocked this chip to over 3gigs stable but did have to keep the side of the case off and use a leafblower for cooling but thats another story)
-im gona start with 1 gig of corsair xms memory (will bump up to 2 after more funds)
-160 gig sata hd games
  -40 gig sata for os (with software partition raid)
-a8n32-sli or a8n-sli delux
-Sound Blaster X-Fi Platinum sound card

but i may change the mother board nothing is set till i buy it
unnamednewbie13
+2,053|6810|PNW

geko42 wrote:

ya i dont have a set buget i am most likely to spend on average $200-$400 but maby more (sorry didnt say sooner) hmmm but ya for a little more then $100 i could get the single gtx.(ill just have to keep my roomate from trying to over clock it more)
again thank you every one when i get the system built i will post all the speces and the bench marks when its done (a month or 2)

-64 3800 (i have overclocked this chip to over 3gigs stable but did have to keep the side of the case off and use a leafblower for cooling but thats another story)
-im gona start with 1 gig of corsair xms memory (will bump up to 2 after more funds)
-160 gig sata hd games

A8N-SLI (non-deluxe) will save you $100, though you'll be deprived of some USB ports. You can take that $100 and invest it in another gig of memory. You really should get 2x1GB modules in a single package. OCZ Plats or Corsair XMS's will get you where you need to go, and the good 2x1GB modules are around $190, with a mfg $50 mail-in rebate from Newegg (though there have been reports of corporate delays in getting that money back to buyers).

For the hard drive, unless you're recycling an old one, grab a Western Digital 250GB SATA-300 16MB cache for $90. Yes, you heard me right. For the OS and a few important applications, the 36GB Raptor will be nice and quick. This isn't necessary, and you can always just get another 250GB instead (my recommendation). I always advise against placing the OS on the same hard drive as your data, regardless of partitioning. Maybe it's just my decade-point-five old paranoia.

If you're trying to keep your budget tight, go for the X-Fi XtremeMusic instead. The Fatal1ty is marginally better, but overpriced, and the Platinum is little different than the Xtreme. Sure, you get a remote and a 5.25 bay, but you don't get the 64MB. If you absolutely, positively must have a bay, stick it out and go for the Fatal1ty. I hate paying extra money for sponsorship, but there's no denying the card's good.

For single core, you're right. No reason to get 4000+'s and above. However, I must recommend the 3700+ over the 3800+. Why?

3800+ = 512KB L2 Cache Newcastle
3700+ = 1MB L2 Cache San Diego, $50 cheaper
Similar clock speeds.

Last edited by unnamednewbie13 (2006-04-29 19:32:26)

.ACB|_Cutthroat1
No place like 127.0.0.1
+76|6734|Gold Coast,QLD,Australia
X2 3800 ftw
geko42
+4|6619|Reefersyde, CA
i alredy own the sound card, and the hard drive
I agree with the hd comment with the os, what i found that works is useing a 40g hd, make 2 partitions and with some tricky config you can raid the partitions on the same hd gives a performance boost of about 25% and then if that western dig is only $90 you bet ill pic that up

Last edited by geko42 (2006-04-29 21:27:45)

geko42
+4|6619|Reefersyde, CA

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

geko42 wrote:

-160 gig sata hd games

A8N-SLI (non-deluxe) will save you $100, though you'll be deprived of some USB ports. You can take that $100 and invest it in another gig of memory. You really should get 2x1GB modules in a single package. OCZ Plats or Corsair XMS's will get you where you need to go, and the good 2x1GB modules are around $190, with a mfg $50 mail-in rebate from Newegg (though there have been reports of corporate delays in getting that money back to buyers).

For the hard drive, unless you're recycling an old one, grab a Western Digital 250GB SATA-300 16MB cache for $90. Yes, you heard me right. For the OS and a few important applications, the 36GB Raptor will be nice and quick. This isn't necessary, and you can always just get another 250GB instead (my recommendation). I always advise against placing the OS on the same hard drive as your data, regardless of partitioning. Maybe it's just my decade-point-five old paranoia.

If you're trying to keep your budget tight, go for the X-Fi XtremeMusic instead. The Fatal1ty is marginally better, but overpriced, and the Platinum is little different than the Xtreme. Sure, you get a remote and a 5.25 bay, but you don't get the 64MB. If you absolutely, positively must have a bay, stick it out and go for the Fatal1ty. I hate paying extra money for sponsorship, but there's no denying the card's good.

For single core, you're right. No reason to get 4000+'s and above. However, I must recommend the 3700+ over the 3800+. Why?

Similar clock speeds.
ya but that san diago chip i have herd has isues(manly with over clocking)  the 3800+ comes in venice core (i have played with many times very stable)
-101-InvaderZim
+42|6882|Waikato, Aotearoa
Hmmz just on a side trip here, is the 7600 better than the 6800?? They are about the same price, but nothing is written on performance.......
Janus67
Tech God
+86|6634|Ohio, USA

geko42 wrote:

unnamednewbie13 wrote:

geko42 wrote:

-160 gig sata hd games

Similar clock speeds.
ya but that san diago chip i have herd has isues(manly with over clocking)  the 3800+ comes in venice core (i have played with many times very stable)
to double quote and kill two birds with one stone:

to secondary poster: there isn't any reason to get the 3800+ venice or 4000+ sandy.  And I am not sure what you mean about 3700+ San Diego cores having trouble overclocking, I frequent a lot of overclocker forums and haven't read anything there, I have seen them go from 2.6 (low-average) to 3.0ghz (stock 2.2).  I am hoping to get mine to do 2.8 or 2.9 with my watercooling with enough volts.

as for the parent poster:

get 2x1gb modules, not 2x512.  When you do 4x512 you have to run in 2T timing which gives a performance loss.  You can get a good 2x1gb set (g.skill hz's) for $160 from the egg.  I would just get the 7900gt btw, excellent card for $300.  For whatever reason it is $150 cheaper than the 7800gtx and has performance on par or better than it.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard