Dizazter
Crazy has a mind of its own
+0|6822
Now that Blackhawks are gimped down so bad, I'm finding more and more that Jet whores are dominating this game. A good pilot can continually destroy ground targets and enemy choppers, with little or no risk of counter attack except from another jet.

Blackhawks were a great team oriented vehicle. Now jets reign surpreme, encouraging more and more loner behavior and less team work. You obviously need ground troups to take bases, but given how useless AA defenses are vs planes,  makes it very difficult to capture bases if you will get bombed before you get 1/3 the way to the next base.

I like flying planes, I just wish they we're so immune to ground forces.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6783

bump!
dsb
+0|6779
Agreed.  I've long felt that AA - both stationary and mobile - is pretty much useless against a jet.  IF you get tone, one set of flares buys enough time for the pilot to get well out of range.  Maybe the answer is to put more AA batteries on maps?
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6798|Eastern PA
The "answer" is a kit that includes shoulder-fired AA missles, ala BF:V, so the jet whores and attack choppers can't memorize the location(s) and bomb / rocket the fixed defenses on their first pass . . .

There are a minority of talented and teamplay-oriented individuals that fly close support when requested, and will press an attack against a team objective regardless of "personal risk". I appreciate these guys as a Commander or team member, and grudgingly respect them as a potential victim - but they are the exception.

Note that most pilots (except those already mentioned) run like scared rabbits as soon as they've taken about 50% damage (since they're afraid to lose their "ride"), and typically play as Lone Wolves prowling for easy targets (only joining a Squad so they won't get auto-switched for Team Balance). For these people, the battle environment should be full of nearly constant "Tone Locks" and potential threats so that they can't just casually dump some flares or pull a loop now and then, and still con themselves into thinking they're 1337 pilots . . .

I do pretty well at Air Defense, to the point that it usually takes an Arty strike or a combined bombing / helo assault to get both me and the emplacement neutralized. It's amusing to note how quickly the airspace around my chosen defense position gets real "vacant" after 3 or 4 of these "Aces" get slapped out of the sky; but it doesn't take long for the opposing team to wise up and start crapping bombs / arty on every fixed AA emplacement in retaliation.

Make it so you really have to want to be a pilot, and need to learn some tactics and teamplay to stay aloft for awhile, instead of relying on a good joystick with the sensitivity settings cranked up. Pilots shouldn't automatically know where every potential threat is located before they even take off.

Last edited by T1mbrW0lf (2005-10-19 14:21:19)

HG_TheTank
+2|6767
o/c the lamers will stick to that which gives them the most kills.
For them it is like some kind of masculinity replacement.

I have a little guide I go by: if a large portion of people use something, that must mean something.

Wait until they nurf the planes and you will see those with 'skills' decide it is time to try something else...

Allthough the planes in BF1 were overpowered as well, at least there was at least a little AA.
A big problem with the bf engines is the fog. If you could see the damn planes farther then your arm is long you might actually be able to do something against them.

Mobile stingers would be great but IMHO planes do not fit into BF2.
I'd rather just see helis and give the commander an air strike as an extra, but where you can shoot down the plane like the other stuff.
Dizazter
Crazy has a mind of its own
+0|6822

T1mbrW0lf wrote:

I do pretty well at Air Defense, to the point that it usually takes an Arty strike or a combined bombing / helo assault to get both me and the emplacement neutralized. It's amusing to note how quickly the airspace around my chosen defense position gets real "vacant" after 3 or 4 of these "Aces" get slapped out of the sky; but it doesn't take long for the opposing team to wise up and start crapping bombs / arty on every fixed AA emplacement in retaliation.

Make it so you really have to want to be a pilot, and need to learn some tactics and teamplay to stay aloft for awhile, instead of relying on a good joystick with the sensitivity settings cranked up. Pilots shouldn't automatically know where every potential threat is located before they even take off.
Get in my games man! I usually have to scream at people for 20 minutes of us getting obliterated by aircraft, before any kind of anti air network will get set up. People just dont like doing air defense. But I agree with the post below you, that with the current visibility its usually impossible for me to get a lock fast enough, and given airplane flares to get a decent shot off. Depends on the map, but many AA turrents have obscured view, many times I've put missiles into the trees next to me. Man I showed those palm trees what's up!
JeSTeR_Player1
Flying Solo
+98|6772|Canada, Ont
Its always Good to Keep them Forests From Overgrowing, I mean you got a War to Fight, They can't be Blocking The Fire.
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6798|Eastern PA

Dizazter wrote:

Get in my games man! I usually have to scream at people for 20 minutes of us getting obliterated by aircraft, before any kind of anti air network will get set up. People just dont like doing air defense.
I'll be looking for you - and I feel the same frustration at times.

As a Squad Leader, I'm constantly reminding my people: "I don't care if all you have left is your pistol - SHOOT THE AIRCRAFT AND CHOPPERS!" A half-dozen people can do an amazing amount of damage to aircraft / heli's with only small arms fire if they're all shooting at once; and even if we don't get a "kill" the plane / 'copter usually breaks off any attack (and doesn't come back anymore, either).

Last edited by T1mbrW0lf (2005-10-20 12:49:57)

beeng
Get C4, here!
+66|6788

They said they 'fixed' AA ... its useful against helos now, but still bloody worthless against fast-air.  I've always hated jets in this game
WormGuts
+17|6796|Dayton, Ohio
i agree with timberwolf.  since they sped up the missiles from AA (both mobile and stationary) it's much easier to take down these so called aces.  Mobile AA is deadly if you use it right.  First it's not for ground pounding, and should only be 'forced' into ground action when being attacked.  Second it's not a taxi to get you to that APC or Tank at another base.  Leave them where they spawn for people who know how to use them, or try to put them to use correctly.  Third if you really want to learn how to use one, here's a couple tips : don't sit in a large open area where you are easy to spot (hide among some buildings or trees...trees are your friends), get your lock early and fire a missile (or two if in mobile AA) into the pilots face, save the second (or remaining two) until he blows overhead dropping his measures.  you should be able to get another lock fast enough to rip the rest of your missiles off at him. 

Happy hunting...here's a friend of mine who is absolutely nasty in AA http://bf2s.com/player/46961517/
atlvolunteer
PKMMMMMMMMMM
+27|6773|Atlanta, GA USA
Personally, I think AA is nearly useless.  You are more likely to get Friendly Fire or TKs than to actually hit your desired target, especially if it is a jet.
To fix the problem with jets, they need to do two things:
1. Improve the lock that an AA missile gets.  Currently an AA missile loses its lock WAY too easily, in which case it usually hits a friendly.
2. Make the AA missiles faster.  They are so slow now, that you can't hit a jet unless you time it just right.
divided
Clear!
+3|6775
In the past few days, I've noticed my 'skill' in a jet almost double.  I've been going 41-0, 55-2, and almost all of those kills are from ground targets.  I think I've been shot down by a stinger once or twice in the past few days.  Doesn't happen often.
pfcilng
+0|6769|Northern Illinois University
I've had lukewarm experiences with the stationary AA.  The only thing  I can shoot down are non-tactical blackhawk pilots that go straight towards me, not letting their door gunners take me out. I usually have enough time to get the relock after they drop flares- and go for the kill.

Yeah, you will be amzed how much damage a squad can do to a blackhawk with just small arms fire - been credited with a kill by shooting at a blackhawk with a M16 (only after it was heavily smoking).
Sgt.Gh0st
Pump-Action Pimp
+16|6784|The Hague, Holland
I find jets almost indestructible. I saw jets die 2 ways in my entire BF2 carreer.

A) The got shot down by another Jet

B) They flew into a mountain.

Get rid of the jets!
WormGuts
+17|6796|Dayton, Ohio
heh...i actually received my basic pistol badge for taking down a blackhawk on daqing oilfields.  i already had a few pistol kills in the round.  so i think i only got one pistol kill for dealing the helo its last blow.  (had emptied 2 full ak47 clips in to it already).  it was very funny though that i wasn't shot by a gunner since the helo had 6 people onboard.  i did get credit for each person in helo as a kill but only one counted as a pistol kill.
IronGeek
One Shot, One Kill
+4|6796|Canberra, Australia
Yeah I try to use AA in Wake Island, it is reasonable effective against Choppers, but still useless against Planes, they move twice as fast as the AA trying to get them..  It just doesn't seem right.

I read the effective AA thread and that helped me a lot in my competency with AA.  But those Bloody planes.....
Donnyboy
+1|6788
I remember the good old days in DC when you had the straight shooting stingers. They didn't track, but with a little practice they were damn formidable. One good hit would take out anything flying, just like the real thing.
HG_TheTank
+2|6767
@Donnyboy:
Yep. Helis were a bitch back then also but at least you had something you could shoot them with.
Planes you will still probably never hit as they are way to fast for anything unless they are flying in your direction.
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6798|Eastern PA

WormGuts wrote:

Mobile AA is deadly if you use it right.  First it's not for ground pounding, and should only be 'forced' into ground action when being attacked.  Second it's not a taxi to get you to that APC or Tank at another base.  Leave them where they spawn for people who know how to use them, or try to put them to use correctly.  Third if you really want to learn how to use one, here's a couple tips : don't sit in a large open area where you are easy to spot (hide among some buildings or trees...trees are your friends), get your lock early and fire a missile (or two if in mobile AA) into the pilots face, save the second (or remaining two) until he blows overhead dropping his measures.  you should be able to get another lock fast enough to rip the rest of your missiles off at him.
All good tips - and here's a few more:

The operative term in "mobile AA" is MOBILE!

After you've engaged a target, successfully or otherwise, MOVE TO A NEW DEFENSIVE POSITION. Don't remain in the same location thinking "This is a good spot" (now that your intended victim knows about it?); and don't return to the same location for awhile. "Shoot and Scoot" applies to Snipers, APC's, and Mobile AA - If you want to remain alive long enough to make a difference. Above all, don't remain in place and duel  1 vs 1 with attack choppers - learn to drive evasively and maintain a "missle lock" at the same time by planning in advance where you'll engage your targets, and drive a "racetrack pattern" using existing obstacles for cover.

Note that many of the maps have garages / warehouses that you can drive into (and shoot from); and that many of them are located where you can cover CP's or track sircraft returning to their base for reload / repairs.
Aruba-Prime
[Expert Smoke Grenade]
+44|6776|Hamburg, Germany
I will hit them trust me. Managen to shoot a jet with an apc missile (ok only twice)..
but still me luvd dem  stinngers....
Aruba-Prime
[Expert Smoke Grenade]
+44|6776|Hamburg, Germany
I will hit them trust me. Managen to shoot a jet with an apc missile (ok only twice)..
nice stinngers....
HG_TheTank
+2|6767

T1mbrW0lf wrote:

WormGuts wrote:

Mobile AA is deadly if you use it right.  First it's not for ground pounding, and should only be 'forced' into ground action when being attacked.  Second it's not a taxi to get you to that APC or Tank at another base.  Leave them where they spawn for people who know how to use them, or try to put them to use correctly.  Third if you really want to learn how to use one, here's a couple tips : don't sit in a large open area where you are easy to spot (hide among some buildings or trees...trees are your friends), get your lock early and fire a missile (or two if in mobile AA) into the pilots face, save the second (or remaining two) until he blows overhead dropping his measures.  you should be able to get another lock fast enough to rip the rest of your missiles off at him.

After you've engaged a target, successfully or otherwise, MOVE TO A NEW DEFENSIVE POSITION. Don't remain in the same location thinking "This is a good spot" (now that your intended victim knows about it?); and don't return to the same location for awhile. "Shoot and Scoot" applies to Snipers, APC's, and Mobile AA - If you want to remain alive long enough to make a difference. Above all, don't remain in place and duel  1 vs 1 with attack choppers - learn to drive evasively and maintain a "missle lock" at the same time by planning in advance where you'll engage your targets, and drive a "racetrack pattern" using existing obstacles for cover.

Note that many of the maps have garages / warehouses that you can drive into (and shoot from); and that many of them are located where you can cover CP's or track sircraft returning to their base for reload / repairs.
Won't matter for some with 'skill'.
Last time on the oilrefinery map (with the 4 oil silos) I was hiding with the AA in the trees and the guy still found me. On his first pass. He knew were I was even before I saw him.
superfly_cox
soup fly mod
+717|6783

Planes unblance the game.  More and more proficient pilots out there.  You can have a pretty good team but if your pilots aren't so good and theirs are, you're pretty much screwed.   Wasn't so bad when I first started to play but people are catching on about how dominant planes are and the pilots are getting better.

EA must do something about plane dominance...  I think that improved Anti-Air would do the job.
WormGuts
+17|6796|Dayton, Ohio

HG_TheTank wrote:

T1mbrW0lf wrote:

WormGuts wrote:

Last time on the oilrefinery map (with the 4 oil silos) I was hiding with the AA in the trees and the guy still found me. On his first pass. He knew were I was even before I saw him.
i bet he 'knew' where you were because the enemy commander spotted you for the pilot (i do this often as a CO for my pilots), or because he had an UAV over your head.   

which brings up another question...why can't i shoot down an Unmanned Aerial Vehicle?
T1mbrW0lf
+2|6798|Eastern PA

HG_TheTank wrote:

Actually, "what matters" was that you were sitting still - and his targeting radar will show him EXACTLY where you are as long as the vehicle is manned.

Re-read that part about how Mobile AA is supposed to be mobile . . .

Last edited by T1mbrW0lf (2005-10-21 06:37:36)

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard