White-Fusion
Fuck
+616|6707|Scotland
Nice one zimmer. Nah there isn't any space at all in my new place for working out. Its about 200 for a year membership at the place i want to go. So thinking about selling my nikon D60 for it.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6311|Vancouver | Canada

White-Fusion wrote:

So thinking about selling my nikon D60 for it.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6921|UK
The gym im at costs me 360 a year, but its well worth it as it has everything you could possibly need.
HaiBai
Your thoughts, insights, and musings on this matter intrigue me
+304|5639|Bolingbrook, Illinois

baggs wrote:

HaiBai, a few pages back you was going on like you knew it all. And now you have to come and ask about body fat...
when did i ever say i know it all?  nobody knows it all, thats why now im asking a question.

so, what should my goal for body fat percentage be?  this isnt for a sport, just in general.  however, i read that athletes usually have 6-13% body fat.  should i aim around that range?
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5919|Belgium

HaiBai wrote:

baggs wrote:

HaiBai, a few pages back you was going on like you knew it all. And now you have to come and ask about body fat...
when did i ever say i know it all?  nobody knows it all, thats why now im asking a question.

so, what should my goal for body fat percentage be?  this isnt for a sport, just in general.  however, i read that athletes usually have 6-13% body fat.  should i aim around that range?
depends what you're up to man...
'general' doesn't exist
SonderKommando
Eat, Lift, Grow, Repeat....
+564|6814|The darkside of Denver

HaiBai wrote:

baggs wrote:

well, It also kinda depends on how much you weigh now.  How much lean muscle you actually have etc.  You should check those and get back to up.  right now I'm @ 15.9%%, still running kinda high since winter bulking.  The leanest I've every been is 8 1/2%  Which was nice, I'm sure Zim is def in the range. 

Anywas, If we know where youre at we can work within your fitness goals to come up with a workout plan/ diet if you want.
Home
Section.80
+447|7002|Seattle, Washington, USA

Dayum zimmer, sexy shit.

Is 4 workouts a week too much?

How long before I should see progress? I took my first monthly progress picture today and couldn't really see much of a difference from the first one.

Why do you eat so many tomatoes?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6467

I'm trying to find a cardio workout that's effective (for burning fat and weight loss) and that I don't mind doing. Cycling seems to be the main one. The Stair Master at the gym is the other. Problem, is I don't have a membership at the gym and I don't have the money to spend $1500 on a Stair Master machine.

Should I even consider cycling for fat burning or is it more for leg muscle toning?
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6911|Scotland

Home wrote:

Dayum zimmer, sexy shit.

How long before I should see progress? I took my first monthly progress picture today and couldn't really see much of a difference from the first one.

Lay ouy your workout program here, and then we can give advice on it.

4 workouts a week is maybe 1 too many (but this is entirely dependant on your workout program, which is why I ask to see it). Basically, you muscle only grow when they rest, and if you put your body under constant strain, you're not going to see any gains. I workout 3x a week and the rest of the week I just rest and eat well, and I can notice the difference from month to month (can notice it bi-weekly as well).

Also, how much do you eat? This is one thing people seem to miss when working out. You need to eat like a horse, and I assure you that you wont get fat. Eating more often in a day speeds up your metabolism and allows your body to take in more nutrients for muscle building. Make sure that you're NEVER hungry throughout the day. Never let your stomach get to that point where it's rumbling because you haven't eaten.

Progress should be noticed in the first 2 months of a new workout program (this is assuming you're just starting out, if not, then progress can be seen much more frequently) if you keep to it and eat properly.

I eat tomatos because they're incredibly healthy and I love them - no other "special reason". I also eat a lot of green beans, spinach, broccoli and ratatouille (if you want a massive intake of good veg, then learn how to make a good ratatouille. It's cheap and tastes delicious). I eat tomatoes during the day because they don't require any extra heating or cooking, you can just eat them as is.

ebug9 : Are you concentraing on strength training first? Cardio should always be a second resort for getting rid of fat (cardio itself doesn't burn fat or lose fat, it merely speeds up the fat loss process). First two resorts are a healthy diet (eating more with strength training will tone you and get rid of fat) and strength training. So I'd personally do 3x workouts a week and maybe 1 cardio, 2 at most sessions.

So
Monday - Workout
Tuesday - Rest
Wednesday - Workout
Thursday - 20 Minute HIIT or 45 minute cardio session (running is perfectly acceptable)
Friday - Workout
Saturday - 20 Minute HIIT or 45 minute cardio session (running is perfectly acceptable)
Sunday - Rest

I'd personally only do one of them, but it's up to you. I don't do cycling due to my knee, but in my opinion running is a lot more effective. You can run without a machine in the morning around the block, just make sure you have decent trainers.

Cycling will burn muscle, but is a lot less effective at speedening up fat loss.

As an alternative, you could follow the P90X programme - only the cardio bits. That might help.
Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5919|Belgium
Anyone have some experience with shoulder injuries?

A few months ago I noticed I was straining my shoulder too much while doing Bench Presses. Dropped some KG's & worked more on my technique back then. Problem was more or less solved, but now I'm having some trouble with it now (not working out - membership expired and not renewing it till after my exams). Problem is that it cracks and I sometimes have the feelings it's rapidly popped out and back in..

I've been stretching my shoulders more the last few days, I hope that will get rid of it eventually.. unless anyone has some other tips?
bugz
Fission Mailed
+3,311|6467

Thanks Zimmer. I'm gonna give the P90X a go.
Zimmer
Un Moderador
+1,688|6911|Scotland

Jebus wrote:

Anyone have some experience with shoulder injuries?

A few months ago I noticed I was straining my shoulder too much while doing Bench Presses. Dropped some KG's & worked more on my technique back then. Problem was more or less solved, but now I'm having some trouble with it now (not working out - membership expired and not renewing it till after my exams). Problem is that it cracks and I sometimes have the feelings it's rapidly popped out and back in..

I've been stretching my shoulders more the last few days, I hope that will get rid of it eventually.. unless anyone has some other tips?
Go see a physio.
baggs
+732|6359
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29137/P1000665a.jpg

and i do not feel gay at all.
SonderKommando

baggs wrote:

http://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29137/P1000665a.jpg

and i do not feel gay at all.
Nice man,  You're pretty lean which is good.  you chest looks pretty well shaped.  you could have some monster pecs if you push it.
Home
Section.80

Zimmer wrote:

Home wrote:

Dayum zimmer, sexy shit.

Monday - Chest & Tris
Flat bench 3x8 (don't normally achieve 8 on the last set)
Incline bench 3x8
Chest flyes and around the worlds (alternating sets) 4x12
Decline bench 3x8
Rope pushdowns 3x10
Skullcrushers 3x10
Behind the head raises (dk what they're called) 3x10

Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - Back & Bis
Hammer curls 3x10
Standing barbell curls 3x10
Laying(?) barbell curls 3x10
Lat pulldown close grip 3x10
Lat pulldown wide grip 3x10
Row 3x10
Deadlifts 3x5

Thursday - rest
Friday - Legs
Squats 3x8
Leg press 3x10
Weighted toe raises 3x10
Calf machine 3x10
Shin tendon thing lifts 3x10

Saturday - Shoulders & Traps
Seated db press 3x10
Deep Swimmers 3x8
Side and front laterals 4x10
Rear deltoid flyes 3x12
1 arm flap (idk what it's actually called) 2x10
Upright row 3x10
Db shrugs 3x10
Bb shrugs 3x10

Sunday - rest

I can notice some growth in the mirror (in my lats, traps and shoulders) but it's not big enough that it's clearly visible in a cell phone picture. I think maybe part of the problem may be eating. I have been eating more but not a ton. I recently dropped a little weight and I've been trying to not put it back on, should I just eat more but add cardio? Or would that slow muscle growth just as much?
SonderKommando

Home wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

Home wrote:

Dayum zimmer, sexy shit.

Monday - Chest & Tris
Flat bench 3x8 (don't normally achieve 8 on the last set)
Incline bench 3x8
Chest flyes and around the worlds (alternating sets) 4x12
Decline bench 3x8
Rope pushdowns 3x10
Skullcrushers 3x10
Behind the head raises (dk what they're called) 3x10

Tuesday - rest
Wednesday - Back & Bis
Hammer curls 3x10
Standing barbell curls 3x10
Laying(?) barbell curls 3x10
Lat pulldown close grip 3x10
Lat pulldown wide grip 3x10
Row 3x10
Deadlifts 3x5

Thursday - rest
Friday - Legs
Squats 3x8
Leg press 3x10
Weighted toe raises 3x10
Calf machine 3x10
Shin tendon thing lifts 3x10

Saturday - Shoulders & Traps
Seated db press 3x10
Deep Swimmers 3x8
Side and front laterals 4x10
Rear deltoid flyes 3x12
1 arm flap (idk what it's actually called) 2x10
Upright row 3x10
Db shrugs 3x10
Bb shrugs 3x10

Sunday - rest

I can notice some growth in the mirror (in my lats, traps and shoulders) but it's not big enough that it's clearly visible in a cell phone picture. I think maybe part of the problem may be eating. I have been eating more but not a ton. I recently dropped a little weight and I've been trying to not put it back on, should I just eat more but add cardio? Or would that slow muscle growth just as much?
Well is your overall fitness goal to gain muscle?  Or do you want to be lean like baggs and zimmer?  Its two different worlds with differnet diets and workouts.  If you want to see sustained muscle growth you need to be eating a minimum of 1g protein per pound of body weight.  You can accomplish this through eating as well as supplementing.  You're going to gain weight if you want to gain muscle, as by volume; muscle weighs more than fat (example, the same volume of fat and muscle the muscle will weigh more). Generally I recommend about five small meals a day mixed in with protein shakes in the morning and post workout. 

As far as cardio goes, you dont want to over do it if you want to gain substantial amounts of muscle and strength.  To keep the body fat low while bulking you can walk on teh treadmill at an incline (high incline) for thirty minutes three times a  week.

At a glance your workout seems sporadic.  You should be doing 3 x 10 for all of your excises at least.  I personally recommend pyramid sets but what works for me may not work as well for you and when going heavy at the end of the pyramid proper form is paramount.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6808
http://stronglifts.com/gomad-milk-squat … in-weight/

Once again the internet astonishes me
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
baggs
+732|6359
The amount of champs that go to my gym and have scrawny legs is amusing. They're loading up the barbell like its going out of fashion, squirting out 3 reps with a full assist from their mate and thinking thats a workout.

And you can't talk to these people either. But they'll ask you how you can do 5 sets of 12 wide arm pull ups... and expect you to reveal some divine secret to it. Isn't it obvious?
SonderKommando

two weeks ago...

I have SCRAWNY calves.  Its just genetic.  But I out squat alot of dudes my size and have HUGE quads and hammies.  Plus I sqauat nice and low, the way its supposed to be!

Damn man, thats alot of pullups bags! I usually do three sets of ten on back day, sometimes on shoulder day since they do such a good job hitting the lats and the rear delts.  Last week I was doing sets of eight pullups while holding a 30lb dumbell with my feet, lol.
baggs
+732|6359

SonderKommando wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=551R4wBxzL4
two weeks ago...

I have SCRAWNY calves.  Its just genetic.  But I out squat alot of dudes my size and have HUGE quads and hammies.  Plus I sqauat nice and low, the way its supposed to be!

Damn man, thats alot of pullups bags! I usually do three sets of ten on back day, sometimes on shoulder day since they do such a good job hitting the lats and the rear delts.  Last week I was doing sets of eight pullups while holding a 30lb dumbell with my feet, lol.
I just seem to excel at pullups, if i'm feeling particularly energetic i'll hold a 6kg medicine ball between my feet. I found a belt at the gym the other week, i'm considering going up to 10kg but i feel it might start to bulk me too much.

30lb is quite lot Sonder, i'm impressed, especially as you probably weigh a fair bit more than i do lol. I weight 80kg/176lbs. how bout you?

edit: thats a fucking deep squat!

Last edited by baggs (2010-05-18 08:20:27)

Jebus
Looking for my Scooper
+218|5919|Belgium
Fucking awesome squats Sonder, nice!
When I squat that deep with quite some weight my legs start shaking like crazy

By the way, d'you think GOMAD will also work with half-skimmed(I mean the 'half-full')milk? Prob. not as much gain, but still okay I'm guessing?

Last edited by Jebus (2010-05-18 08:29:28)

SonderKommando

baggs wrote:

SonderKommando wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=551R4wBxzL4
two weeks ago...

I just seem to excel at pullups, if i'm feeling particularly energetic i'll hold a 6kg medicine ball between my feet. I found a belt at the gym the other week, i'm considering going up to 10kg but i feel it might start to bulk me too much.

30lb is quite lot Sonder, i'm impressed, especially as you probably weigh a fair bit more than i do lol. I weight 80kg/176lbs. how bout you?

edit: thats a fucking deep squat!
Yea, it can be hard on your knees to squat that low, but when you go below parallel you use so much more of your glutes, hammies, and quads to power out of a negative position. 

Right now I weight 216-18lbs depending on how much water/food im carrying.  When i was like 180ish and lean as hell I'd do pull ups like mad.  Its def harder when you get heavier!

jebus wrote:

Fucking awesome squats Sonder, nice!
When I squat that deep with quite some weight my legs start shaking like crazy
Yea, thats 50lbs off my 1-2 rep max, I can squeeze out six of those, but if you watch like the last two reps my knees buckle a little bit inwards, which is VERY dangerous.

Last edited by SonderKommando (2010-05-18 08:29:08)

Home
Section.80

SonderKommando wrote:

Home wrote:

Zimmer wrote:

workout
Well is your overall fitness goal to gain muscle?  Or do you want to be lean like baggs and zimmer?  Its two different worlds with differnet diets and workouts.  If you want to see sustained muscle growth you need to be eating a minimum of 1g protein per pound of body weight.  You can accomplish this through eating as well as supplementing.  You're going to gain weight if you want to gain muscle, as by volume; muscle weighs more than fat (example, the same volume of fat and muscle the muscle will weigh more). Generally I recommend about five small meals a day mixed in with protein shakes in the morning and post workout. 

As far as cardio goes, you dont want to over do it if you want to gain substantial amounts of muscle and strength.  To keep the body fat low while bulking you can walk on teh treadmill at an incline (high incline) for thirty minutes three times a  week.

At a glance your workout seems sporadic.  You should be doing 3 x 10 for all of your excises at least.  I personally recommend pyramid sets but what works for me may not work as well for you and when going heavy at the end of the pyramid proper form is paramount.
Yeah I guess I am shooting for an end goal of Zimmer's physique. I guess I should have put the weight thing more accurately; I'm definitely not afraid to gain some weight, I just don't want to gain much fat (or any if I can). I just don't really understand how to eat like a horse and keep the fat gains down at the same time.

Yeah, I adapted this program from a strength building one I got off that bodybuilding site. They had some exercises as low as 3x5, so the 3x8's etc are just my adjustments. I'll up everything to 3x10 this week.
DefCon-17
Maple Syrup Faggot
+362|6311|Vancouver | Canada

Jebus wrote:

By the way, d'you think GOMAD will also work with half-skimmed(I mean the 'half-full')milk? Prob. not as much gain, but still okay I'm guessing?
I'm wondering if it'd work with 2 liters a day...Not sure if I could pull 4L off.
Vilham
Say wat!?
+580|6921|UK
was that squat 140kg sonder?

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard