Jaekus
I'm the matchstick that you'll never lose
+957|5148|Sydney
My flatmate bought the same mobo as mine yesterday (Gigabyte MA785GT) and I helped him put it in the case, install the os and now I'm trying to flash the BIOS to a later version but the problem I'm getting is QFlash either doesn't recognise my pen drive, or if it does it won't show any files on there.

I've reformatted it half a dozen times to FAT32, tried making it bootable using cmd, tried using different USB ports (all at the back) and read a lot of stuff online, even called a mate who put my computer together, tried making it NTFS -- nothing.

How can I get QFlash to recognise the bios file on the pen drive?
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6408|King Of The Islands

You unzipped it, rite?
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Nope.
Cheez

Well... try unzipping it.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Ok, I'll give it a shot. I did read somewhere I shouldn't unzip the file, so that must've been bollocks. I'm just trying to be extra careful here.
Cheez

You have DualBIOS, dw.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
True.

I'm giving up for now. It's not recognising the pen drive again, I've spent a couple hours on this, it's saturday night and I cbf right now.

Thanks for the replies Cheez.
steelie34
pub hero!
+603|6351|the land of bourbon
do you have a *gasp* floppy drive?  if your bios cant load the usb driver, it might be your only option.
https://bf3s.com/sigs/36e1d9e36ae924048a933db90fb05bb247fe315e.png
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
No floppy drive, I had suggested pulling the floppy out of my old system but it seemed such an effort that we discarded that idea immediately.

The BIOS version happens to be the same as my BIOS, there is another newer one and an even newer beta version.

We were trying to unlock the cores on his AMD Phenom II 550 and I had problems with earlier bios versions than F6, however his came with that as standard so I now assume his CPU won't unlock the cores. He's still quietly confident but the settings are remaining the same in the BIOS, but the cores aren't unlocking. The previous F5 bios had issues and hence my want to update the bios. CPUZ says it's F6, so yeah, nuff said.

Still, updating to F7 can't hurt, and I'd like to make it work so I learn something from the experience.
max
Vela Incident
+1,652|6537|NYC / Hamburg

make a bootable flash drive like this. Download the bios (unzip it) and DOS flashing app onto the drive. Boot from it. Run the flashing program. Done.
once upon a midnight dreary, while i pron surfed, weak and weary, over many a strange and spurious site of ' hot  xxx galore'. While i clicked my fav'rite bookmark, suddenly there came a warning, and my heart was filled with mourning, mourning for my dear amour, " 'Tis not possible!", i muttered, " give me back my free hardcore!"..... quoth the server, 404.
Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Thanks Max.  I'm not really in the frame of mind or motivated enough to do it now but that seems pretty easy to follow.
_j5689_
Dreads & Bergers
+364|6686|Riva, MD
I think the flash drive has to be formatted for FAT and not FAT32 or FAT16 in order for it to be read.  I can't really remember, but I might've had to do that when updating my Gigabyte board recently.
tupla_s
+455|6562|Finland
Plug the USB drive in before starting the pc. Just update BIOS on my Gigabyte recently and had to plug it in before starting for it to be recognized. Unzip the file also

Last edited by tupla_s (2010-05-16 14:48:43)

Jaekus
+957|5148|Sydney
Ok, cheers.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard