Other - I only rent bcuz I is a cheap-ass1%1% - 1
Other - undecided6%6% - 5
Null - wats a blu-ray?3%3% - 3
Total: 81
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
lol at the notion that film-award ceremonies are a measure of art

populist self-congratulatory fellatio contests.

it's like saying that the winners of the Booker Prize are the greatest novelists of our generation.

no. i forward you to kant: fine art rules above agreeable art rules over craft-art

avatar is in the middle catergory, unless you didnt guess

Last edited by Uzique (2010-05-02 07:14:36)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6214|Escea

lol at the notion that you think your an expert.
belldawg
Serial Jay-Walker
+52|5975|Perth, indian ocean
hired avatar on blu ray, was a treat to the eyes
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6214|Escea

Uzique wrote:

lol at the notion that film-award ceremonies are a measure of art

populist self-congratulatory fellatio contests.

it's like saying that the winners of the Booker Prize are the greatest novelists of our generation.

no. i forward you to kant: fine art rules above agreeable art rules over craft-art

avatar is in the middle catergory, unless you didnt guess
You're a smart guy Zeek, you are. But just because something is not some sort of absolute masterpiece in your eyes, does make those who enjoy it retards.

I hate dance and techno music, I hate rap, I hate musicals, I hate Ricky Gervais, but I don't consider people who do like them to be retards, just because I don't like them.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
i don't think im an expert.

i think avatar is simply a film that invests all of its efforts in a visual/aural spectacle. it's exactly like a suspense/thriller film/novel. a cheap trick, basically. you're enraptured and entertained for the duration, led along by the hand as the director/author shows off everything they have, but then the effect soon wears off afterwards and diminishes dramatically with repeat watches/re-reads. i don't get the sense that im watching a particularly deep or meaningful film with avatar - instead it comes across as a contrived attempt; a script-writer's lazy effort to add some depth and paradigmatic content to a largely linear and superficial narrative. i felt like i was more being led from one show-off demonstration of 3D technology to another in avatar; i very quickly became self-aware of the fact that i wasn't entertained by the plot or the acting. the marvel and the entertainment lay in the visuals- the surface representation. to me, that is not great cinema. i refer you back to my analogy of a suspense/thriller. it can have awful writing and the bare-minimum of the 'required' power to convince and pass mimetically, and you are then 'entertained' by a fundamentally non-artistic aspect, i.e. the sense of suspense, the special-effects, the new sensations associated with the 3D IMAX trip, etc.

i don't think im passing expert opinion or a critical review on avatar by saying it's a bad film. im just applying the artistic and philosophical notions that i possess as a viewer to what postures as a piece of 'art'. and it doesn't pass. i will make no secret of the fact that my structuralist, objective view of art largely comes from Hume and Kant; in other words, the understanding that some art is made to be artistic, transcendent and timeless, and the other half (the larger, more mass-produced industry) simply exists for entertainment. i have no doubt that avatar is entertaining. but, as i hope my post has adduced, i do not believe it is entertaining because it is a good 'film'. it is entertaining because it is a spectacle. a spectacle that will lose its ability to stun and impress with repeat watches. ergo: i will not be purchasing it on blu-ray, and i believe the people that do buy it are the lowest common denominator of art-consumers, i.e. the people that largely buy into the 'agreeable' art category, to use kant's terminology.

thank you, you've been a wonderful audience

Uzique Ebert, PhD, Shit State University.
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6214|Escea

Uzique wrote:

i don't think im an expert.

i think avatar is simply a film that invests all of its efforts in a visual/aural spectacle. it's exactly like a suspense/thriller film/novel. a cheap trick, basically. you're enraptured and entertained for the duration, led along by the hand as the director/author shows off everything they have, but then the effect soon wears off afterwards and diminishes dramatically with repeat watches/re-reads. i don't get the sense that im watching a particularly deep or meaningful film with avatar - instead it comes across as a contrived attempt; a script-writer's lazy effort to add some depth and paradigmatic content to a largely linear and superficial narrative. i felt like i was more being led from one show-off demonstration of 3D technology to another in avatar; i very quickly became self-aware of the fact that i wasn't entertained by the plot or the acting. the marvel and the entertainment lay in the visuals- the surface representation. to me, that is not great cinema. i refer you back to my analogy of a suspense/thriller. it can have awful writing and the bare-minimum of the 'required' power to convince and pass mimetically, and you are then 'entertained' by a fundamentally non-artistic aspect, i.e. the sense of suspense, the special-effects, the new sensations associated with the 3D IMAX trip, etc.

i don't think im passing expert opinion or a critical review on avatar by saying it's a bad film. im just applying the artistic and philosophical notions that i possess as a viewer to what postures as a piece of 'art'. and it doesn't pass. i will make no secret of the fact that my structuralist, objective view of art largely comes from Hume and Kant; in other words, the understanding that some art is made to be artistic, transcendent and timeless, and the other half (the larger, more mass-produced industry) simply exists for entertainment. i have no doubt that avatar is entertaining. but, as i hope my post has adduced, i do not believe it is entertaining because it is a good 'film'. it is entertaining because it is a spectacle. a spectacle that will lose its ability to stun and impress with repeat watches. ergo: i will not be purchasing it on blu-ray, and i believe the people that do buy it are the lowest common denominator of art-consumers, i.e. the people that largely buy into the 'agreeable' art category, to use kant's terminology.

thank you, you've been a wonderful audience

Uzique Ebert, PhD, Shit State University.
I don't have the fortune to be well-knowledged in what constitutes varying degrees of art, or maybe I am just a simpleton with simple tastes. I saw the film on three occasions at the cinema, and again on Blu-Ray. To me, its not something I tire of, but that's me. I'm generally acceptant of most movies apart from rom coms, and if it entertains me, then that's all that matters to me.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
well, that's the division between us then: i look for something a little more than mere 'entertainment', especially when it comes to spending £'s on cinema-trips AND later blu-ray/dvd releases. it has to be more than 'just' entertaining to qualify for me - because, to be honest, a lot of things are just 'entertaining'. this film was heralded as the next coming of christ, and that it very much was fucking not. i even think, despite my skeptical view of 'The Academy', that the awards it was given are a joke, as well. the 'cinematography' category has basically been reduced down to a retard's definition of 'what makes us go wow'. there's no consideration of 'cinematography' as an artistic process. it's a shame.

Last edited by Uzique (2010-05-02 07:36:39)

M.O.A.B
'Light 'em up!'
+1,220|6214|Escea

Uzique wrote:

well, that's the division between us then: i look for something a little more than mere 'entertainment', especially when it comes to spending £'s on cinema-trips AND later blu-ray/dvd releases. it has to be more than 'just' entertaining to qualify for me - because, to be honest, a lot of things are just 'entertaining'. this film was heralded as the next coming of christ, and that it very much was fucking not. i even think, despite my skeptical view of 'The Academy', that the awards it was given are a joke, as well. the 'cinematography' category has basically been reduced down to a retard's definition of 'what makes us go wow'. there's no consideration of 'cinematography' as an artistic process. it's a shame.
Agree to disagree
venom6
Since day One.
+247|6550|Hungary
No! Avatar sux anyway ! I dont even saw it and im not going to.
PrivateVendetta
I DEMAND XMAS THEME
+704|6182|Roma

venom6 wrote:

No! Avatar sux anyway ! I dont even saw it and im not going to.
Guy speaks with authority
https://static.bf2s.com/files/user/29388/stopped%20scrolling%21.png
Reciprocity
+721|6572|the dank(super) side of Oregon
Btw Avatar: 10/10
GodFather
Blademaster's bottom bitch
+387|6211|Phoenix, AZ
I actually bought it on blu ray cause I thought it would look sick on this LED TV, and it does, oh my god the colors are even better than the film, SO VIBRANT!
lrishpride
+68|5139
I own it on Blu-ray, however I feel it will be shit without 3D.
GodFather
+387|6211|Phoenix, AZ

lrishpride wrote:

I own it on Blu-ray, however I feel it will be shit without 3D.
3DTV

I'm just glad that one day I will be able to watch that movie in 3D on a television
Reciprocity
+721|6572|the dank(super) side of Oregon
I may need to buy a 3d capable digital projector because the movie is that fucking awsome.
JahManRed
wank
+646|6619|IRELAND

belldawg wrote:

hired avatar on blu ray, was a treat to the eyes
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6462
i'd sooner own a quadriplegic thai bride with acute blindness than avatar on blu-ray

i laugh at your petty notions of entertainment!
Ryan
+1,230|6834|Alberta, Canada

I think the option "no" should be removed. It's not a yes or no question, durrr.
GodFather
+387|6211|Phoenix, AZ

Uzique wrote:

i'd sooner own a quadriplegic thai bride with acute blindness than avatar on blu-ray

i laugh at your petty notions of entertainment!
Very poor argument. I would prefer a semi blind thai wife who is quadriplegic over many things...

Whens the last time you heard a blind quadriplegic  woman from Thailand say no?
Gawwad
My way or Haddaway!
+212|6676|Espoo, Finland
It sucks. Spent most of the movie face palming with the girlfriend and so did the rest of the audience judging by the "pffs" when it ended.
Barbie movies have more interesting plots than this one.

Honestly, it's propably the worst movie I ever saw. And all the people I know who are still drooling over it makes it even worse.

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard