pace51
Boom?
+194|5143|Markham, Ontario
Sat. May. 1/10                                    Pace51

BF2142- The future is yours; Is it what you expected?

A review of the future as portrayed by BF2142

Index:
An Introductory Conclusion
Futuristic Reviews-
Weapons
Vehicles
Environments

An Introductory Conclusion

Futuristic video games are abundant and innovative. But most importantly, creative. This article reviews how well bf2142 portrayed the future. After hours of doing exhausting things like having fun and shooting in blue, I present to you my conclusion. It may be biased, but here it is. BF2142 is comprised of modern gameplay and tactics forced to adapt to a futuristic stage. That’s actually not a criticsm. BF2142 lets you play combat very similar to the modern style gamers have come to know and love (Airstrikes, teamwork, Iron and Red dot sights) with some added features.

Futuristic Reviews:

These will not be presented in point-form list or bulleted list format. The entire article   will be written in paragraphs, except for a list near the end. Normally, in futuristic games, we are given a whole variety of laser pistols, teleporter beams, and of course, hover crafts. In 2142, we’re given a set of vehicles and equipment we can relate to so much, that they are, dare I say it, realistic. This allows BF2142 to allow us to play in a fighting style we are already comfortable with, without the getting-used-to-gameplay-styles needed for many futuristic games. Whereas we needed some time with games like Unreal Tournament and Halo to learn the ropes, we could jump into action actually knowing whatever the hell we’re doing.

Weapons: The most basic component to any game is the assault rifle. It is the most basic, and needs to be straightforward to use, generally light, do decent damage, have a good rate of fire, and additions such as dot sights, grenade launchers, and several firing modes to be effective in all situations. In 2142, I actually expected EA to make some bizzarely ugly, large, and powerful standard assault rifle. However, all of the assault rifles weren’t that futuristic or bizarre. They were, however, easy to love and pretty creative. The PAC’s regular assault rifle had a beautiful blue muzzle flash, which helped the user to distinguish between friend and foe. The weapons carried no tracer rounds, a welcome relief, since it was annoying having enemies always spotting you shooting at them. Now, the different varieties of assault rifles were actually not disappointing, and quite balanced. There was a composite and futuristic looking assault rifle that sacrificed damage for accuracy, one that sacrificed Rate of fire for damage, and of course the standard heavy assault rifles. However, although the weapon models were futuristic, their characteristics were not. However, an amazing creative twist was how your assault rifle ammo was adaptable, and could be converted into shotgun rounds. That made for a very interesting tactical twist. The SMG’s were also futuristic looking models, but pretty weak. They’re rate of fire and decent enough SMG accuracy was pretty much all they had going for them. The rocket launchers were probably the most ingeniously designed weapons ever. Never before has someone in a futuristic been bright enough to realize that “Why have one rocket when you can have four strapped together”. That was creative. The LMG’s were quite snazzily designed, with the awesome “recoil decreases as # of spent shell casings increases” feature. Decreasing recoil was very original. In fact, a lot of the weapons had original features, just not futuristic features. Like the snipers. They were heavy hitters and had nice accuracy, and were decent up close, and although this was nice, it wasn’t futuristic. The knife was not original at all, and dog-tag collecting was a little stupid, as it took the thrill of fighting for your country away and replaced it with cold-blooded killing. As for the grenades, I am happy to say, they were both aesthetically and performance-wisely futuristic. Body armour added a tactical bonus, while regular armour added running speed. The customizable options made this one of the most tactical games ever, other than BF2. You needed to have in mind what kind of fighting you wanted to do before you chose your weapon. Like in BF2. Going against tanks in that game with a sniper is what will result if you do not carefully choose your options. The explosives looked like triple binoculars, but struck you as advanced and sophisticated. The drones were basically magical footballs with levitating powers, although they were a bugger in combat. They looked quite original and creative, and performed admirably. The recoil on all the sights was crazy, and the weapons and players looked huge. Maybe that’s just the good graphics. As a final note, the EU and PAC’s weapons were so well made. All the PAC weapons shared similar characteristics, but looked so different than the EU weapons, and vice versa.

Vehicles: These were all incredibly futuristic, even if some screamed “I was stolen from George Lucas”. The light armored cars looked vaguely military, but definitely had a sleek, improved look. Also, the turrets were quite futuristic. All the vehicles were light and fast, making each battle feel like a Marine assault. The battle walkers were incredibly cool and futuristic. The PAC’s double-barreled blue-muzzle-flash main gun was quite fun to shoot, and the EU’s battlewalker looked downright scary to fight. If only they could teabag… However, they looked a bit like a copy from the starwars AT walkers. They moved much more smoothly and natural, though. You also had to admire the craftsmanship put into the gunships. The PAC gunship looked like a mass-produced battle model, and the EU gunship looked like a killer air dominator. I’m happy to say that these two vehicles are probably the most futuristic in the game, and they really looked sweet. The transports gave off the same look as the gunships, basically, but felt slightly more like dutiful workhorses. They reminded you of the Blackhawk, having good armament and considerable firepower, and the guns zoom feature was nice. The APC’s were downright sexy, although the PAC’s looked a bit like a boat. The pods were a creative touch, and presented awesome tactical opportunities. They also saved you from the blast if your APC exploded. The Goliath and its counterpart were pretty much mega APC’s though much more like battle stations. Last but not least, the tanks were great. The A8 tiger had the characteristics and firepower you’d expect from a western European Main Battle Tank, and the hover tank, was well, retarded. It felt like you were flying a low-altitude death sponge. And it was so bouncy! The Titan’s ruled. Really brought back BF2 carrier Nostalgia, though without the J-10 spawn killers.

Environments: The 2142 maps really made you feel like you were fighting in an apocalyptic future. However, everything seemed so huge. Also, water was so rare that it seemed fake, and presented none of the tactical challenges in BF2. The flying maps were fun, although the open stretches of fields and desert made the gunships way too powerful. Also, although it did low damage, the TV guided missile was really cheap on the maps like Suez and Verdun. It made it so much better against air targets though. A fun touch was the addition of city parks, building walkways, and towers to the maps. This made it worthwhile to take some time and look around. Also, the chokepoints were well designed. For example, a fence would guard and alley, and the only way around it was too climb a ladder, go on a walkway, and down another ladder under a building. Vehicles couldn’t camp these points. The only real problem with the environments was the use of the same cheap tactics every futuristic game employs. Lots of the maps were played in older towns, so that they wouldn’t have to spend so much time inventing new props. All in all, though, the maps were well done. However, they were much more infantry and light vehicle friendly than any other BF game.

Uzique wrote:

i think you should conclude this review with a fittingly disparaging remark, pace.

2142 was herpes in video-game form

Last edited by pace51 (2010-05-01 18:51:06)

RTHKI
mmmf mmmf mmmf
+1,736|6707|Oxferd Ohire

pace51 wrote:

“I was stolen from George Lucas”.
However, they looked a bit like a copy from the starwars AT walkers.
no, not really. to both
https://i.imgur.com/tMvdWFG.png
pace51
Boom?

RTHKI wrote:

pace51 wrote:

“I was stolen from George Lucas”.
However, they looked a bit like a copy from the starwars AT walkers.
no, not really. to both
Note the joint placement, and the gun placement? Although they are more heavily armed than the starwars ones, they bear a similar resemblance.
Lucien
Fantasma Parastasie
+1,451|6623
A guide by Pace51 and BF2142 in one thread

the pinnacle of boredom
https://i.imgur.com/HTmoH.jpg
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
i think you should conclude this review with a fittingly disparaging remark, pace.

2142 was herpes in video-game form
libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
pace51
Boom?
Good enough, Uzique?
Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.
2142 is 10 times better than BC2 IMO, and in many ways it's better than BF2.
Uzique
dasein.
+2,865|6440
it's better than bf2 in zero ways

and a game being 10x better than bc2 is not a validation or testament to its success; if anything, it's a certificate of its utterly average mediocrity

Last edited by Uzique (2010-05-01 20:52:26)

libertarian benefit collector - anti-academic super-intellectual. http://mixlr.com/the-little-phrase/
Volatile
+252|6674|Sextupling in Empire

Sydney wrote:

pace51
Boom?

Volatile wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Nnn...no. Just no. To the "better than bf2" part. Sorry, but bf2 ftw
Cheez
Herman is a warmaphrodite
+1,027|6409|King Of The Islands

Sydney wrote:

Get back to your volcano.
My state was founded by Batman. Your opinion is invalid.
Longbow
+163|6617|Odessa, Ukraine

Sydney wrote:

I second that, 2142 is by far the most balanced battlefield game in the franchize.

p/s pace, hower tank was awesome mate, I guess you were just using it wrong.

Last edited by Longbow (2010-05-02 18:27:00)

Sydney
2λчиэλ
+783|6813|Reykjavík, Iceland.

Longbow wrote:

Sydney wrote:

I second that, 2142 is by far the most balanced battlefield game in the franchize.

Fuck yeah, hover tank ftw.

Also, knife ftw.
http://2142-stats.com/PBAsydney+stats.html

/nuff said.
pace51
Boom?

Longbow wrote:

Sydney wrote:

Yeah, I flew like a sponge. It was good for dodging, but I didn't practice enough with it

Board footer

Privacy Policy - © 2024 Jeff Minard